Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 4:55:43 AM EDT
There are a couple comments people wrote on gun control  some for and against that I thought it would be good for us put our .02 in here is the link:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_opinion_letters/
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There are a couple comments people wrote on gun control  some for and against that I thought it would be good for us put our .02 in here is the link:

here ya go     newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_opinion_letters/
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It's under lock up the M16's

I responded too.

Lets not forget this is a PR battle to. We have to educate people at the same time.

JR
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Comments added.  For some reason, my comments haven't posted.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It takes a while before it gets posted for some reason!  I think they might be checking out the posts before they put them up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Seemed like a lot of folks on our side were mis-informed as well.  

You CAN legally own a M-16, just not in IL.  

Mike
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's under lock up the M16's

I responded too.

Lets not forget this is a PR battle to. We have to educate people at the same time.

JR

I agree, lock up the M16's. Then pass out M14's and FALs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't help but to cut / paste this back here from the above link. Nicely written and to the point:

The recent shooting deaths of Starkesia Reed and Siretha White are a continuation of an appalling level of violence. What is also appalling is the absence of political honesty and will to address the causes of this violence.

A recent Tribune editorial endorsed the Governor’s campaign for a state-wide ban of semi-automatic firearms, stating this would help stop such violence "A spray of fire," Editorial, March 27). However, in December of 2004, the National Academy of Science completed a six-year study of gun control laws and regulations, which found that no single gun regulation or combination of local, state, or federal laws, including assault weapon bans, had any effect on crime. Other professional studies from or acclaimed by the American Criminology Society, the Congressional Research Service, the Justice Department, and others all reached the same findings. In fact, there is not a single published academic study showing that gun bans have reduced any type of violent crime. The only studies showing any benefit from these bans are those produced by gun control organizations, none of which contain valid, peer-reviewed research backed up by independent sources.

But haven’t other countries banned guns and seen their violent crime rates drop? Great Britain confiscated virtually all guns from private citizens in 1998 and melted them down. Even England’s Olympic shooting teams must leave the country to practice because they cannot keep their guns in England. What has been the impact on violent crime? The British government’s figures show that gun crime has more than doubled since 1998 and continues to rise. An increasing problem in England is drive-by shootings with AK-47’s and other semi and fully automatic weapons. Australia instituted a similar nationwide gun ban and has experienced increases in gun crime similar to Great Britain. If these two island nations cannot stop criminals from getting guns, what hope is there for the U. S.? If the billions of dollars spent annually on the "war on drugs" cannot stop tons of drugs from entering the U. S. every year, how could we ever hope to stop illegal guns?

Politicians who support gun bans do so because they have been mislead, or because it is an easy way to appear to be doing something about violence. However, overwhelming evidence demonstrates that gun bans at best do nothing to stop violence, and at worst, result in even greater violence, as seen in Great Britain and Australia. The Tribune’s editorial was correct in one point, our politicians do indeed need greater courage, courage to confront the causes of violence honestly, not use guns as a scapegoat.

David J. Mamer

Woodridge

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Which one of you guys is the poster ther named Ronald Bazillian?

JR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top