Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 9:07:24 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can find the list of the 59 assault weapons that are banned in Chicago. I think its Sec 8-20 of the Municipal Code.  Thanks

Support Concealed Carry for Illinois IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cook County

93-0-46
ORDINANCE
Sponsored by
THE HONORABLE RICHARD J. PHELAN, PRESIDENT
AND JOHN H. STROGER, JR. COUNTY COMMISSIONER

The Cook County Firearms Dealer’s License and Assault Weapons and Ammunition Ban Ordinance is amended by deleting and adding language as stricken through and underlined as follows:

Article I. General Weapons.

Section 1-1. Title.

This ordinance shall be known as the “Cook County Firearms Dealer’s License and Assault Weapons and Ammunition Ban Ordinance.”

Article III. Assault Weapons and Assault Ammunition Ban.

Section 3-1. Definitions.

As used in Article III of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning;

(a) “Assault weapon” means:
(1) Assault Rifles
AK 47 TYPE
86S TYPE
AK 47S TYPE
86S7 TYPE
AK 74 TYPE
87S TYPE
AKS TYPE
GALIL TYPE
AKM TYPE
TYPE 56 TYPE
AKMS TYPE
TYPE 565 TYPE
84S1 TYPE
VALMET M76 TYPE
ARM TYPE
VALMET M78 TYPE
84S1 TYPE
M76 COUNTER SNIPER TYPE
84S3 TYPE
FAL TYPE
HK91 TYPE
L1A1A TYPE
HK93 TYPE
SAR 48 TYPE
HK94 TYPE
AUG TYPE
G3SA TYPE
FNC TYPE
K1 TYPE
UZI CARBINE
K2 TYPE
ALGIMEC AGMI TYPE
AR100 TYPE
AR180 TYPE
M24S TYPE
MAS 223 TYPE
SIG 550SP TYPE
BERETTA BM59 TYPE
SIG 551SP TYPE
BERETTA AR70 TYPE
AUSTRALIAN AUTOMATIC ARMS SAR TYPE
CIS SR88 TYPE
RUGER MINI 14/5F
SKS TYPE WITH DETACHABLE MAGAZINE
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY SAR-48
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY BM-59
FEDERAL XC-900 AND XC450
FEATER AT-9 AUTO CARBINE
GONCZ HIGH TECH CARBINE
TEC 9 TYPE
COLT AR-15
IVER JOHNSON PM30 P
PARATROOPER
BUSHMASTER AUTO RIFLE
AUTO-ORDINANCE THOMPSON M1
AUTO-ORDINANCE THOMPSON 1927A1

(2) Assault Pistols
UZI TYPE
HECKLER & KOCH SP-89 TYPE
AUSTRALIAN AUTOMATIC ARMS SAP TYPE
SPECTRE AUTO TYPE
STERLING MARK7 TYPE

(B) “Assault ammunition” means any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 12 rounds of ammunition.
Section 3-2. Assault weapons or ammunition – Sale prohibited – Exceptions.
(a) No person shall sell, offer, or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of or acquire or possess any assault weapon or assault ammunition. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1) the sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of the Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon or assault ammunition and is acting with in the scope of his or her duties;
(2) the acquisition or possession of assault ammunition by persons employed to provide security for armored carriers or mobile check cashing services while in the course of such duties, while commuting directly to or from the person’s place of employment, and while at the person’s home, if the assault ammunition (1) is acquired or possessed for use with a weapon that person has been authorized to carry under Section 28 of the Illinois Private Detective, Private Alarm and Private Security Act of 1983; and (2) consists of an ammunition magazine that has a capacity of 15 or fewer rounds of ammunition;
(3 2) manufacture of assault weapons;

(4 3) transportation of assault weapons if such weapons are broken down and in a non-functioning state and are not immediately accessible to any person.

(b) Any assault weapon or assault ammunition possessed, sold or transferred in violation of subsection (a) is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provided in Section 3-3 of this Ordinance.
(c) Any person found in violation of this section shall be sentenced to not more than six months imprisonment or fined not less than $500.00 and not more than $1000.00 or both.
(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date other ordinance codified in this ordinance, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or assault ammunition prohibited by this section shall have 14 days from the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section to do any of the following without being subject or prosecution hereunder:
(1) To remove the assault weapon or ammunition from within the limits of the County of Cook; or
(2) To modify the assault weapon either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault weapon; or
(3) To surrender the assault weapon or ammunition to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below

Approved and adopted this 16th day of November, 1993

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Chicago City Limits

"Superintendent Hillard Announces
Public Notice
On Regulations Relating to Assault Weapons

08 April 2002

Pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the Superintendent of Police has promulgated regulations that expand the definition of assault weapons that are prohibited within the City of Chicago. The regulations were promulgated on March 18, 2002 and go into effect May 1, 2002. Copies of the regulations are available on this site and at:

* The Office of the City Clerk, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 107, Chicago, Il 60602
* The Gun Registration Program, Chicago Police Dept. Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan, Room 1027, Chicago, Il 60653

I, Terry G. Hillard, Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department, hereby promulgate the following regulations pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago:

Section 1.(a) In addition to the weapons defined as assault weapons in Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use:

i. any of the firearms, or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

(1) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(2) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(3) Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

(4) Colt AR-15;

(5) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(6) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(7) Steyr AUG;

(8) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and

(9) any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(10) any firearm having a caliber of .50 or greater;

ii. a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a bayonet mount;

(4) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle; or

(5) a grenade launcher;

iii. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

iv. a semiautomatic shotgun that has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

(4) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(b) Except as otherwise may be required by Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, "assault weapon" does not include:

1. any firearm that;

i. is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

ii. has been made permanently inoperable; or

(2) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

(3) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; or

(4) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, provided that this exception shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Section 2. These regulations take effect May 01, 2002.

Promulgated This 18 day of March, 2002
Terry G. Hillard
Superintendent of Police"

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
They got SCMODS

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Good thing the Beretta AR70 is on that list, it was the rifle of choice for the El Rukins for years
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew someone here would have that info. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cook County

Unincorporated Cook County. A small but significant difference for those of us not in unincorporated Cook.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cook County

Unincorporated Cook County. A small but significant difference for those of us not in unincorporated Cook.

So I'm still confused... my parents live in Hoffman Estates (while I live permenantly at school)... can I keep an AK there or not?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cook County

So I'm still confused... my parents live in Hoffman Estates (while I live permenantly at school)... can I keep an AK there or not?

Cook County, so technically no you cannot. I am unaware of anyone in the suburbs ever being prosecuted for violatrion of the Cook County AWB.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cook County

Are you in unincorporated Cook County? If not, then... while I'm no lawyer, you'd have no problem. Keep in mind that Hoffman Estates had (or still has) some stupid registration system that requires you to register your gun(s) with the police or something. It was supposed to be dropped prior to some gun store opening up there, but I'd verify that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top