Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
3/2/2006 5:30:00 PM

To: State Desk, Legal Reporter

Contact: Richard Pearson of Illinois State Rifle Association, 815-635-3198 Web: http://www.isra.org

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., March 2 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

The very foundations of the gun control movement were rocked today by the results of a survey taken by the National Association of Chiefs of Police (NACOP). In a nutshell, the survey shows that the nation's top law enforcement officers believe that average citizens can be trusted to responsibly own firearms; that criminals ignore gun control laws; and that concealed carry laws reduce crime.

These revelations come as a stark contrast to gun control movement propaganda that asserts that police officials feel that our streets would be safer if law-abiding citizens were disarmed.

Specifically, the survey revealed that 93 percent of chiefs and sheriffs felt that citizens should be able to purchase firearms for sport and self defense; 73 percent opposed so-called "one gun a month" laws; 96 percent believed that criminals ignore gun control laws and; 63 percent supported laws that allow citizens to carry defensive firearms as a means to control crime.

"These survey results are important and timely for the law- abiding Illinois firearm owner," said ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "The General Assembly is currently considering HB2414 which would ban most of the guns owned by law-abiding citizens in Illinois. The legislature is also considering legislation that would shut down most of the lawful gun shops in the state. The supposed justification for these two bills is that they would result in a safer society. Well, based on the chiefs' survey, it would appear that the gun control movement is standing all alone on that assertion."

"I hope that the Illinois General Assembly is paying close attention to what our top cops have to say," continued Pearson. "It's time for the legislature to stop trying to find ways to harass the law-abiding gun owner and start finding ways to keep criminals in jail and off our streets.

---

Since 1903, the ISRA has been the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

link to survey.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
That takes away one of their arguements.  Excellent!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
63 percent supported laws that allow citizens to carry defensive firearms as a means to control crime.

That's hardly more than half.  There are probably that many people in the general population that believe the same.  Police officers carry guns every day.  They should know that carrying a gun isn't unsafe.  63% is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
63 percent supported laws that allow citizens to carry defensive firearms as a means to control crime.

That's hardly more than half.  There are probably that many people in the general population that believe the same.  Police officers carry guns every day.  They should know that carrying a gun isn't unsafe.  63% is unacceptable.

Unacceptable?

It sure is tootin better than 36%.

Some people are never satisified.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You know what's really compelling is that 78.1% of the police chiefs are of the opinion that the national war on drugs is basically a failure [excuse the commentary paraphrase].   how
Argghhh...I've been blinded by the flash of the obvious!!!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]

That's hardly more than half. There are probably that many people in the general population that believe the same. Police officers carry guns every day. They should know that carrying a gun isn't unsafe. 63% is unacceptable.

While I agree with you in principle the truth is most cops get a little jaded.

They have to deal with the the "lower " elements of society on an almost daily basis. That will take the wind out of your sails when it comes to faith in humanity.

Add to that the fact that even the upstanding middle class soccer moms get caught in "white lies" when pulled over and it is easy to see how cops develope a bad attitude.

And to top it all off add some of their their coworkers who they cannot believe even made it as cops.

Speaking as someone who spent most of his youth as a bad guy and who now considers himself a good guy I cut cops a lot of slack. They need us to support them and give them reason to believe that their willingness to put their lives on the line for us is worth it.

They in turn should remember that their duty is to serve and protect, not letting themselves become seduced by their power, like Cartman in the South Park episode, "You will OBEY my Authority!!".

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unacceptable?

It sure is tootin better than 36%.

Some people are never satisified.

Nope.  Not satisfied with partial liberty.  

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death. -- Patrick Henry
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the entire point is that this survey really kicks those Brady fags right in the sphincter.

Their most strident cry has always been their purported support from "Law Enforcement" and sure, there are a few badge wearing Uncle Toms they can trot out on demand who will shuck and jive in consort with their party line, but this survey really exposes one of their greatest lies.
That there is a vast majority of Law Enforcement officials who are on their side- which is now proved to be bullshit.

The fact is, the "Chiefs" have always been equal parts politician and cop, so the poll results amongst them is usually skewed in favor of "controlling" the people since many confuse their job descriptions and think that's what they are supposed to do. If you ask the cop on the street, he's usually all in favor of honest people being able to protect themselves with firearms.

This survey really cuts the Brady assholes deep. A MAJORITY of LE Chiefs and Sheriffs support concealed carry. Ninety Three percent feel that citizens should be able to purchase firearms for sport and self defense. So yes there is a philosophical divergence as far as CCW goes, but that isn't the point.

The point is that the Brady Bunch is lying when they claim this broad base of support amongst LE.
If they can't get a majority of CHIEFS, they know they're totally screwed when it comes to the opinion of the cop on the street.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A MAJORITY of LE Chiefs and Sheriffs support concealed carry.

Sorry, but a simple majority is just not sufficient.  These guys investigate and enforce wrongdoing on a daily basis.  If anyone in this country knows how important CCW is, it's a police officer, and yet, still, MANY police officers are anti-ccw.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that number should be higher but in the world of political statistics, 63% is a solid victory for our ideology.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
<snip>  63% is unacceptable.

And how high is the percentage of IACP / HCI Chiefs polled?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that number should be higher but in the world of political statistics, 63% is a solid victory for our ideology.

C'mon, man.  My RIGHTS are not a political statistic.  Have the commies soiled your brain?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top