Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:19:36 PM EDT
Someone tell me I am missing something here that is "City" specific to Chicago proper.
The law (Cook County AWB) says

As used in Article III of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning;

(a) “Assault weapon” means:

(1) Assault Rifles

(attenuated to address specific AR content)

COLT AR-15
BUSHMASTER AUTO RIFLE

Colt, Bushmaster by name.
There are no qualifications for "AR15 type rifles" as there are for

AK 47 TYPE
86S TYPE
AK 47S TYPE
86S7 TYPE
AK 74 TYPE
87S TYPE
AKS TYPE
GALIL TYPE
AKM TYPE
TYPE 56 TYPE
AKMS TYPE
TYPE 565 TYPE
84S1 TYPE
VALMET M76 TYPE
ARM TYPE
VALMET M78 TYPE
84S1 TYPE
M76 COUNTER SNIPER TYPE
84S3 TYPE
FAL TYPE
HK91 TYPE
L1A1A TYPE
HK93 TYPE
SAR 48 TYPE
HK94 TYPE
AUG TYPE
G3SA TYPE
FNC TYPE
K1 TYPE
K2 TYPE
ALGIMEC AGMI TYPE
AR100 TYPE
AR180 TYPE
M24S TYPE
MAS 223 TYPE
SIG 550SP TYPE
BERETTA BM59 TYPE
SIG 551SP TYPE
BERETTA AR70 TYPE

The only AR's that are banned in the Cook County ordnance are Bushmasters and Colts.
There are no qualifications for 'features' ala the old Federal AWB nor are there any abstract  caveats for "AR Type" rifles.

Any opinions on this before I go with an attorney to register a LMT or a Stag AR with the Chicago PD?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the specifics, but I don't believe you can have an AR type weapon in the city...something in the ordinance about being able to accept magazines over a certain number of rounds...
They have even put it in their orders that individual officers cannot have them.
I'm sure someone will have the specifics...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
When they say Bushmaster Auto Rifle, technically it refers to an AR180 looking rifle that Bushmaster first made when they were just starting up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
As for registering in the city, IIRC, the Chief of Police has the power to initiate bans himself and did a feature based ban a few years ago. I once heard of a guy getting turned down trying to register a Sub2000.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As for registering in the city, IIRC, the Chief of Police has the power to initiate bans himself and did a feature based ban a few years ago. I once heard of a guy getting turned down trying to register a Sub2000.

Correctamundo:

8-20-030 Definitions
As used in Title 8:
(h) "Assault Weapon" means any of the following weapons:
    (1) Assault Rifles  [listing types]
    (2) Assault Pistols [listing types]
    (3) Any weapon that the superintendent of police defines by regulation as an assault weapon because of the design or operation of such weapon in inappropriate for lawful use.

I've toyed with anonymously requesting a copy of all weapons falling under (3) but haven't gotten around to it.  I thought I conceivably might be able to register a Beretta Storm carbine, but then I thought better of it and I keep it outside Chicago.

Anybody have this list of what's made an assault weapon by CPD fiat?  If it has to be requested by letter or FOIA, I would recommend the requestor be from outside Chicago, lest they get a friendly visit from the CAGE unit!

Also, on another score,  I note that the Chicago ordinance they provide online at the Illinois State Police's website does not ban assault weapons by the AWB type classifications (i.e. flash hider, collapsable stock, conspicuous pistol grip, etc.) but rather does it by type, like how Cook Co. does it.

HOWEVER, when I was at GAT Guns in Dundee, they had a purported Chicago AWB posted on the wall which DID ban by characteristics rather than the list.  Did they just have an outdated version, or do they have a more current version, or do the two work in tandem...?  Anybody got any insight into this?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmasters are not banned in Cook County.  I frequent two FFLs in Arlington Heights, and both sell Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bushmasters are not banned in Cook County.  I frequent two FFLs in Arlington Heights, and both sell Bushmaster.

Correct, but the

Bushmaster Auto Rifle, technically referred to as: AR180
is banned!

If bushys get banned I’m Fu@ked!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Do NOT quote me on this(I could very well be wrong) so please correct me but:

The Cook County AWB applies only to unincorporated areas and Chicago.

The Bushmaster AR-180 is banned in Cook Co.?  What about the ArmaLite version that is mentioned on this website?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If this means anything, when I was unsure about the legality of a Bushmaster in Cook county, I called 1). Local LE 2). Cook county sheriff 3). IL State police.

All of them said that a Bushmaster AR-15 style rifle was perfectly legal in Cook county.

I know that may not mean jack, but that's what they said.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Bushmaster AR-180 is banned in Cook Co.?  What about the ArmaLite version that is mentioned on this website?

You are mostly right here. Unicorporated area, and areas like Oak Park and Morton Grove plus the City proper. The Armalite is covered under AR180 type.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys, if at all possible, move out of Cook County. You will be happy you did. The more people who leave, the less tax money Dickey has to operate with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When they say Bushmaster Auto Rifle, technically it refers to an AR180 looking rifle that Bushmaster first made when they were just starting up.

My local shop in the Atlanta area has one for sale.  It looks like a cross between the Daewoo and the AR180.  Fugly rifle.

Why do they refer to it as an "auto rifle"?

This thread was brought to my attention through a question someone asked me.  I hope y'all don't mind a Georgia boy contributing to this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local shop in the Atlanta area has one for sale.  It looks like a cross between the Daewoo and the AR180.  Fugly rifle.

Why do they refer to it as an "auto rifle"?

This thread was brought to my attention through a question someone asked me.  I hope y'all don't mind a Georgia boy contributing to this.

Thanks LARRYG.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, but the

Bushmaster Auto Rifle, technically referred to as: AR180
is banned!

If bushys get banned I’m Fu@ked!

How can a Bushmaster be referred to an an AR180?  That is a trademarked name.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No such thing as a Bushmaster AR180.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No such thing as a Bushmaster AR180.

Hence the name Bushmaster Auto Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Do has anyone found out the truth about the "features" ban of the Cook County AWB?

I can't seem to find it written anywhere...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
That is because the features ban is Chicago only, and good luck finding it because Terry Hillard is the guy responsible for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Well if Chicago hasn't provided it to the ISP for publishing on their website, is it even valid?  Doesn't the IL law state that the municipalities have to provide it to the ISP and if they don't . . .

Nevermind, it doesn't.  

(430 ILCS 65/13.3)
   Sec. 13.3. Municipal ordinance submission. Within 6 months after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 92nd General Assembly, every municipality must submit to the Department of State Police a copy of every ordinance adopted by the municipality that regulates the acquisition, possession, sale, or transfer of firearms within the municipality and must submit, 30 days after adoption, every such ordinance adopted after its initial submission of ordinances under this Section. The Department of State Police shall compile these ordinances and publish them in a form available to the public free of charge and shall periodically update this compilation of ordinances in a manner prescribed by the Director of State Police.
(Source: P.A. 92‑238, eff. 8‑3‑01.)

Crap.  So basically the municipalities face no sanctions if they fail to comply?  Ideally there should be a private right of action with treble damages, or the courts should just invalidate any ordinance not in compliance with 430 ILCS 65/13.3.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#20]
"Superintendent Hillard Announces
Public Notice
On Regulations Relating to Assault Weapons

08 April 2002

Pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the Superintendent of Police has promulgated regulations that expand the definition of assault weapons that are prohibited within the City of Chicago. The regulations were promulgated on March 18, 2002 and go into effect May 1, 2002. Copies of the regulations are available on this site and at:

* The Office of the City Clerk, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 107, Chicago, Il 60602
   * The Gun Registration Program, Chicago Police Dept. Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan, Room 1027, Chicago, Il 60653

I, Terry G. Hillard, Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department, hereby promulgate the following regulations pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago:

Section 1.(a) In addition to the weapons defined as assault weapons in Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use:

i. any of the firearms, or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

(1) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(2) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(3) Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

(4) Colt AR-15;

(5) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(6) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(7) Steyr AUG;

(8) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and

(9) any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(10) any firearm having a caliber of .50 or greater;

ii. a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a bayonet mount;

(4) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle; or

(5) a grenade launcher;

iii. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

iv. a semiautomatic shotgun that has [one or more of the following]:

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

(4) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(b) Except as otherwise may be required by Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, "assault weapon" does not include:

1. any firearm that;

i. is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

ii. has been made permanently inoperable; or

(2) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

(3) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; or

(4) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, provided that this exception shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Section 2. These regulations take effect May 01, 2002.

Promulgated This 18 day of March, 2002
Terry G. Hillard
Superintendent of Police"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#21]
A thousand thanks for posting this norwood.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#22]
cody,

This seems to cover all brands of AR15 clones regardless of designation by the mfg.

i. any of the firearms, or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

(4) Colt AR-15;

That "any caliber" part gets the AR10 as well.  Man, I sympathize with you guys.

Actually, this right here even precludes what were known as postbans:

ii. a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(3) a bayonet mount;

(5) a grenade launcher;

Even the postbans could take a detachable mag and have a pistol grip, so that even kills the AR180B.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Bushmaster Auto Rifle and the Amalite AR180 are two complete different rifles.  If you do a google search of the Bushmaster Auto rifle, you will se a picture and desription of it.  As the Georgia gentleman said, it's Fugly.  The Armalite AR180 was the precusor of the AR10.  

Bushmaster "AR-15" type rifles have the prefix of "XM" and the "carbon", Armalite uses the "M" in place of the AR.  the only "AR type" weapon banned by the County of Cook, is the Colt AR-15.

On a side note, Colt probably loves the ordinance, since Colt doesn't feel anybody but Police and military should have their AR weapon systems.

EDIT TO ADD:  Here is a link to a little info on the Bushamster Auto Rifle.  Bushmaster Auto Rifle

Sorry cody, but gonna have to correct you on the part in blue. The AR10 was first, way back in the '50s.  It was even before the AR15/M16.  It was developed in 7.62x51 to compete with Springfield's T44 (the M14) and the other 7.62 rifles, such as the FN FAL, competing for the US military standard issue rifle.

Later, the AR15 was developed as a result of the General Wyman's request that ArmaLite develop a smaller caliber weapon for testing after research at Aberdeen found that the smaller caliber round at a higher velocity would be just as effective as the larger caliber rounds in most combat situations.

Apparently in testing, the early AR15 was found to be more reliable than the M14, which goes against all the myths surrounding the 2 rifles.  I was quite surprised to read this:

They also found that the AR-15 was more reliable than the M14, suffering fewer stoppages and jams in tests where thousands of rounds were fired.

Anyway, the AR18/180 was developed by ArmaLite as a low cost alternative to the AR15/M16 after Fairchild foolishly sold the rights to the AR15 to Colt.  The AR18/180 was produced from 1969 up until the mid '80s, first by ArmaLite in Costa Mesa until 1972, under license by Howa from 1972 until 1974, and then by Sterling until the mid '80s.

There were only roughly 20,000 or so made.........4,000 by ArmaLite, 3,900 by Howa, and about 12,000 by Sterling.

Now we have the 180 in the form of the 180B, and the AR10 in the new version alive and well again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"Superintendent Hillard Announces
Public Notice
On Regulations Relating to Assault Weapons

08 April 2002

Pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the Superintendent of Police has promulgated regulations that expand the definition of assault weapons that are prohibited within the City of Chicago. The regulations were promulgated on March 18, 2002 and go into effect May 1, 2002. Copies of the regulations are available on this site and at:

* The Office of the City Clerk, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 107, Chicago, Il 60602
   * The Gun Registration Program, Chicago Police Dept. Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan, Room 1027, Chicago, Il 60653

I, Terry G. Hillard, Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department, hereby promulgate the following regulations pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago:

Section 1.(a) In addition to the weapons defined as assault weapons in Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use:

(4) Colt AR-15;

(5) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(6) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(7) Steyr AUG;

(8) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and

(9) any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(10) any firearm having a caliber of .50 or greater;

(3) a bayonet mount;

(5) a grenade launcher;

iii. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

iv. a semiautomatic shotgun that has [one or more of the following]:

(3) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

(4) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(b) Except as otherwise may be required by Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, "assault weapon" does not include:

1. any firearm that;

i. is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

ii. has been made permanently inoperable; or

(2) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

(3) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; or

(4) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, provided that this exception shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Section 2. These regulations take effect May 01, 2002.

Promulgated This 18 day of March, 2002
Terry G. Hillard
Superintendent of Police"

You beat me to it. I spent about an hour looking for it while at work this morning (my job has lots of dead time).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]

OK, so it looks like it's either a Mini 14 or a Mossberg geared up with a Knoxx magazine feed setup only instead of these...

I'll get these

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#26]
The drum should be fine. When they say revolving cylinder, think revolver type cylinder, not drums.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quick and stupid question requiring a one word answer...

CAN I OWN AN AK IN COOK COUNTY??!?!??!?!??!?!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quick and stupid question requiring a one word answer...

CAN I OWN AN AK IN COOK COUNTY??!?!??!?!??!?!

No.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The drum should be fine. When they say revolving cylinder, think revolver type cylinder, not drums.

Eh, that's getting awfully close to "test case territory".
There is no way in hell the Licensing office would ever write a letter of approval for a "drun fed shotgun" if I went in and asked and the nomneclature used in the statute is for damn sure solid enough to get a Cook County jury to rule against me if I had one and was arrested for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top