Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 4:34:12 AM EDT
BY PATRICK CORCORAN
STAFF WRITER

With no public discussion, the Hoffman Estates Village Board on Monday voted unanimously to eliminate parts of the village's local firearms ordinance.

The changes mean that gun purchases will not have to be reported to the Hoffman Estates Police Department. It also means that the police department will no longer run its own background checks on gun buyers and it will not issue permits.

Firearms retailers and consumers, however, must still comply with state and federal gun laws, which require buyers to obtain an Illinois Firearms Owner Identification (FOID) card, submit to a background check and comply with the standard 24- or 72-hour waiting period, depending on what type of gun is being bought.

The new ordinance was tailored on behalf of Cabela's, a national camping and hunting outfitter which is planning to open a 200,000-square-foot store in Hoffman Estates in 2007. Cabela's will sell shotguns, long rifles and handguns in addition to second-hand firearms. The retailer is expected to generate annual sales tax revenues of about $2 million.

Trustees Cary Collins said he approved the measure because he was told by Village Manager Jim Norris that Cabela's would pull their plans if it failed.

"We were limited as far as what we could do (earlier this week)," Collins said.

Norris said he told trustees only that the ordinance change was important to Cabela's.

"By no means was this a deal-breaker. Cabela's already closed on the land ... I told trustees that this was important to Cabela's, but I never told them this was a deal-breaker," he said.

Trustee Fred Crespo, chairman of the village's Public Health and Safety Committee, said Cabela's is an essential part of the burgeoning entertainment district in the Prairie Stone Business Park, where the store will be located.

"Securing Cabela's, along with the Sears Centre ... is paramount. It will be good for the village and good for the region," he said. "But if I thought for any reason this would put our police or our residents at risk, I wouldn't have hesitated to vote against it."

For the volume of estimated gun sales at Cabela's, the old ordinance was a poor fit, Norris said. Previously, it required firearms buyers to submit to a background check and receive a permit. Completing the process could take several days.

"[Cabela's] sells so many weapons that are used for hunting that for them to manage the paperwork and the frequency with which that paperwork would need to be turned over ... it would be a burden for them," Norris said. "[Cabela's officials] have been very open with us since the very beginning and they told us early on that they thought this might be a burden."

The lack of comments, from the public and from the Village Board, indicated the amended ordinance was a non-issue, Norris said.

Hoffman Estates has been without a firearms retailer for more than a decade.

Trustee Lloyd Boester said he was unsure whether or not Cabela's plans hinged on the ordinance. Regardless, the amended ordinance provides sufficient oversight of gun sales, he said.

"[Cabela's] may or may not have had other plans to go elsewhere. I know they've been looking all over in this area for a site, but at the same time (Police Chief) Clint Herdegen and (Village Attorney) Dick Williams said they were satisfied with it. I am not a gun person and I am not a gun-control person, and this change doesn't bother me," Boester said.

Cabela's officials are tentatively scheduled to introduce plans for the new Hoffman Estates store next month.

Link to story
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Woooooooohooooooo.....Back not quite a year or so ago I heard that Cabela's was looking to build in HE and I have been anxiously waiting...Living in the land of the lost...in the adjoining town I am thrilled and praying that the deal continues to go smoothly.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Woooooooohooooooo.....Back not quite a year or so ago I heard that Cabela's was looking to build in HE and I have been anxiously waiting...Living in the land of the lost...in the adjoining town I am thrilled and praying that the deal continues to go smoothly.....

+1 for me!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Its sad that for money they will change the laws but for the peoples rights they do not give a crap!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its sad that for money they will change the laws but for the peoples rights they do not give a crap!

+1

I think the media should be alerted that when there is money involved, guns aren't so dangerous anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Living in the northeast corner of Elgin,I can hardly wait!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Take that Blaggo!!! At least ONE of the Chicago NW suburbs isn't quite ready for a "Police State" yet!!!

Dave W
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. What a bunch of arrogant, egalitarian hypocrites!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
At least there will be some good reason for me to travel west on I-90 after this!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL, "We can't keep our current laws in force because, well, it would be a lot of WORK!"

For once we didn't even have to fight the good fight and we still won.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what King Daley would of done if they wanted to go into Shitcago?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If they won't allow Wal-Mart, I doubt they could care less about a Cabelas.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats right I forgot about that.  Please remind me that I am in a free country!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fuck him John.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Good for Hoffman Estates.  Orland Park screwed Galyan's when they built a store down here.  O.P. has an ordinance that you can't sell guns or ammo within one mile of a school, and the Galyan's store was built within a mile of a school.  The folks from Galyan's were told that if they built (reviving a dead strip mall in the process), the village board would repeal that ordinance.  Galyan's built, and the board did nothing.  So we had this nice Galyan's with a big empty section upstairs where the guns were supposed to be.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
It's nice that sheer volumes of gun purchases/law abiding people shooting and hunting was in the determination.

Take that, hippies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top