Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 3:59:20 AM EDT
I sent out about 39 emails, one to almost every Republican in the IL Gen Ass.  Next is the Dumbocrats.  Anyway, I have only received three responses, two basically said thanks for emailing, but this one was decent... one of the good guys.

Mr. Nathan
Bolingbrook, IL

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition regarding legislation that adds additional restrictions to legal gun ownership.  Your comments on these bills are greatly appreciated.

As you may know House Bill 2414 was introduced last year and received a great deal of discussion.  As a supporter of the Second Amendment, which grants people the right to keep and bear arms, I voted against Amendment 5 of HB 2414, which would have prohibited the sale of .50 caliber rifles.  Please be assured that I will continue to express my opposition to legislation that inhibits our Constitutional rights and freedoms.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding legislation that restricts gun ownership.

Sincerely,

Lee A. Daniels
State Representative
46th District

LAD:tlk
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a reply from one of Senator Peterson's aides:

Dear Mr. T,

Thank you for your recent email advising Senator Peterson of your opposition to HB 2414.  He is presently inclined to oppose this piece of legislation.

Carrie Huggins
Legis Aide
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My reps response:

Dear David,

As you know, I am adamantly opposed to this legislation and I will do
all I can to stop it.

Regards,
Jim Sacia
State Representative
89th District
815-232-0774
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Another response:

Nathan, thank you  for your note about HB2414.  I do plan to vote against it.
Bob  
Robert W. Pritchard
State Representative--70th District
2600 DeKalb Ave., Suite C
Sycamore, IL 60178
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Another response:

Dear Mr. Foster:

Thank you for your email.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.  As you probably know, I voted against HB 2414 during our last session.  

Due to the nature of the legislative process, which allows an amendment to entirely change a bill; I can never guarantee how I will vote on a piece of legislation.  If the language is similar to that of last year’s bill, I will oppose HB 2414 again.  

Please feel free to phone my district office if you have any additional questions, comments or concerns: (630) 466-9791.

Sincerely,

Patricia Reid Lindner

State Representataive-50th District

Assistant Republican Leader
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I am still waiting for responses to my emails sent to two others. Here is an email response I received today.

Dear Mr. Harmon:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing my office to express your concerns regarding gun control legislation.  It's good to hear from you.

The particular legislation that you have contacted me about is actually pending before the Illinois General Assembly.  Therefore, you need to contact your state legislators as they are the ones who can have the most impact on these issues.

As you may know, I strongly defend the Second Amendment and am continually concerned about the erosion of our rights.  Generally, I oppose new laws on gun control because often they are repetitive of state law.  Most importantly, however, new gun laws end up becoming a burden for the law-abiding citizens of this nation and an infringement on our Second Amendment rights.  Many citizens choose to own a firearm for a variety of reasons: for sport, for hunting, or for protection.  In my view these are all good and valid reasons.

I often hear that if we only had one more gun-control law on the books the Columbine tragedy could have been avoided.  While one can argue from different points of view, I think the comments by Mr. Darrell Scott, father to a victim of the Columbine attack, transcends the sound bites and intricacies of debate.  He testified with wisdom before the House Judiciary Committee on May 27, 1999--"No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months of planning this type of massacre.  The real villain lies within our own hearts."

Unfortunately, many in Congress have pushed gun control as a means to reduce crime.  Ironically, many of these people are the same ones who consistently oppose any attempt to get tough on crime.  I'm convinced that we must firmly punish criminals, especially repeat offenders who commit most of the violent crimes.  It's time that we finally hold offenders responsible for their actions instead of infringing upon the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

One of the most frustrating elements of the gun-control debate is its complete lack of logic and factual context.  For example, in former President Clinton's last State of the Union address, he stated his support for a licensing system for hand guns--"Every state in the country already requires hunters and automobile drivers to have a license.  I think they ought to do the same thing for handgun purchases."  The problem with the President's comments is that criminals simply ignore licensing requirements.  Furthermore, they are not required to comply with such laws due to a 1968 Supreme Court interpretation of the Fifth Amendment (Haynes vs. US), which found that compliance would violate the right of an individual from self-incrimination.

I was pleased to see President Bush's comments on Project Safe Neighborhoods, regarding the need to fully enforce current gun laws, before enacting any new gun control legislation.  The program will establish a network of law enforcement and community initiatives targeted at gun violence.  It also incorporates and builds upon the success of existing programs.  In Richmond, Virginia, for example, during the first year of what's called Project Exile, homicides were reduced by 40 percent; and armed robberies were reduced by 30 percent, in the first year alone. And thanks to Boston's Operation Cease-Fire, in almost two years, no one under the age of 17 was shot.

Again, thanks for keeping me updated on your concerns regarding gun control.  Rest assured, I will continue my defense of the Second Amendment.  I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Sincerely,

JOHN SHIMKUS
Member of Congress

Thought I would share too.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Senator Durbin is for the bill. Here is a copy of his response to me.

Dear Mr. Harmon:

Thank you for your message regarding .50 caliber sniper weapons.  I appreciate knowing your thoughts.

I understand your concerns about .50 caliber weapons.  These firearms have little sporting, hunting or recreational use.  However, they could be used to shoot down aircraft, rupture pressurized chemical tanks, or penetrate armored personnel carriers.

I joined Senator Feinstein in introducing the Fifty Caliber Sniper Weapons Regulation Act, which would regulate these weapons under the National Firearms Act.  The measure would impose a tax on the manufacture and transfer of such weapons and require that they be registered.

This legislation has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee.  I will continue to support the passage of this bill and other reasonable gun safety measures that reduce the likelihood of gun violence.

Thank you again for your message.
Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ds

P.S. If you are ever visiting Washington, please feel free to join Senator Obama and me at our weekly constituent coffee.  When the Senate is in session, we provide coffee and donuts every Thursday at 8:30 a.m. as we hear what is on the minds of Illinoisans and respond to your questions.
We would welcome your participation.  Please call my D.C. office for more details.

I don't think I will be joining him for coffee and DOGnuts.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
What a dickhead durbin is.....

I will continue to support the passage of this bill and other reasonable gun safety measures that reduce the likelihood of gun violence.
Thank you again for your message.
Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

Reasonable gun safety measures are what we as gun owners practice everyday....Passing laws like these are NOT REASONABLE and do the absolute opposite of reducing gun violence.
When are these dumbasses gonna get it that criminals DO NOT FOLLOW LAW!!! That is why they are criminals....The only way to take care of gun violence or violent crime in any form is get tough on crime....DO THE CRIME....DO THE TIME!!! HARD TIME!!! No parole, deals, pardons, commutations. No cushy private rooms, tv's recreation, education or weight training. Hard labor just like the old days....bustin rocks, diggin roads etc....
Sorry for the rant!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Why are you contacting Dick Durbin about HB2414?  Durbin is a United States Senator representing Illinois in the Federal government, not an Illinois State Senator.  HB2414 is a state bill, not federal.

Although I love sending that asshat letters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, Durbin definitely isn't my Homie after reading that response.  I'll keep this in mind when re-election time comes for him.

Anyway I just e-mailed my state senator and legislator, hopefully this and that other bill both get shot down!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why are you contacting Dick Durbin about HB2414?  Durbin is a United States Senator representing Illinois in the Federal government, not an Illinois State Senator.  HB2414 is a state bill, not federal.

I went ahead and wrote them all (State and Federal) I don't think it will hurt.....

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went ahead and wrote them all (State and Federal) I don't think it will hurt.....

4X4SC

Well then, Good job!  I commend you for taking the time to get involved with this mess.  If every gun owner would take the time to write and call our elected asshats, this crap would die.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Pardon me for trolling in your state forum. MODS delete if you want...

As a resident of CALIFORNIA, who already lives under nearly the same restrictions that are proposed by IL state HB 2414, do not ever give any of your politicians the chance to pass anything similar to what is proposed.

I understand that the likelyhood of this bill passing is minimal, but the politicians willing to even consider something like this will not be easily dissuaded.

I have watched the situation in CA go downhill over the past 15 or so years (big surprise). I wasn't until after the passage of our CA CPC  12276  that I realized it was too late for us. Now, our RINO governor has signed the 50cal ban despite fairly vocal opposition, see Ronnie Barrett's website or www.calguns.net for additional info.

I know the rest of the country has written CA off, but there are a lot of us behind the curtain, who are still trying to change our political landscape. Please DON'T let what has happened in CA happen to YOUR state.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As a resident of CALIFORNIA, who already lives under nearly the same restrictions that are proposed by IL state HB 2414, do not ever give any of your politicians the chance to pass anything similar to what is proposed.

I understand that the likelyhood of this bill passing is minimal, but the politicians willing to even consider something like this will not be easily dissuaded.

I have watched the situation in CA go downhill over the past 15 or so years (big surprise). I wasn't until after the passage of our CA CPC  12276  that I realized it was too late for us. Now, our RINO governor has signed the 50cal ban despite fairly vocal opposition, see Ronnie Barrett's website or www.calguns.net for additional info.

I know the rest of the country has written CA off, but there are a lot of us behind the curtain, who are still trying to change our political landscape. Please DON'T let what has happened in CA happen to YOUR state.

Thank you.

Thanks for the advice, and your support. I will be sure to always voice my opposition to any of these laws time and time again.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Thanks for the advice, and your support. I will be sure to always voice my opposition to any of these laws time and time again.

4X4SC

i dont know if it would work but if we as a country of gun owners pulled together in

thease state bills"phone ,email,snail mail" if that would have any impact?

what say you?????
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

i dont know if it would work but if we as a country of gun owners pulled together in

thease state bills"phone ,email,snail mail" if that would have any impact?

what say you?????

Impact would probably be marginal to the powers that be. Only because the powers that be could give a rats ass hearing from opposers that can't vote for or against them.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Another one:

Thank you for your recent email regarding HB2414. I have consistently
opposed gun control legislation and will continue to do so.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; your input is important to me.

State Sen. Brad Burzynski, 35th Dist.
505 DeKalb Ave., Sycamore, IL 60178
(815) 895-6318; FAX-(815) 895-2905
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is another response I received today.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I support, without exception, all pro-gun bills.

Sen. Haine/jgk

4X4SC
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I called my reps today,also whats the NRA doing to help us out? anyone know?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I both emailed and phoned Rep. Roger Jenisch (45th). He personally returned my phone message and said he will vote against HB 2414. He said that this time around things are worse for us, and that the bill has more support than it has in the past. Apparently many calls are coming in against the bill, but we may need all the support we can muster to kill this bill.

This is no joke...don't think it won't or can't happen. It very much may this time. IF YOU HAVEN'T CONTACTED YOUR REP. DO SO NOW. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Got one from Obama today..........although wishy washy.........

Dear Bob:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to gun control and your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing your perspective on this important issue.

I respect the Second Amendment and responsible gun ownership.  But I am also concerned about the human consequences of guns falling into the wrong hands and being misused.  I do not find objectionable the goal of keeping firearms out of the hands of children, terrorists, gang members and criminals in general.  The question for me is how to best accomplish that goal without abridging the rights of hunters, sportsmen, and other legitimate gun owners. As I consider gun legislation, I will work to find the appropriate balance between these two objectives.

Again, Bob, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to keeping in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

How about a bill on Crime control instead !!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Where did you get there email addresses? I been sending faxs cause I have no luck finding there email addresses.
Thanks for any help.hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Where did you get there email addresses? I been sending faxs cause I have no luck finding there email addresses.

Project Vote Smart

This will look up your reps for state and federal office and tell you how they vote on the issues.  Adresses,phone numbers and e-mail adresses are provided also.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I love sending that asshat letters.hr

4X4SC

Well then, Good job!  I commend you for taking the time to get involved with this mess.  If every gun owner would take the time to write and call our elected asshats, this crap would die.

Imust agree with 4x4SC I did the same. Sent emails and Faxeshug.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top