Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 3:40:47 PM EDT
Does anyone know if Ruger Police Carbines are kosher in Cook Cty? I know AR's and the like aren't...

Also, what absurdities am I going to have to endure in order to register firearms in Chicago proper?
Does anyone know of any clubs in Chicagoland outside of the city that rent storage facilities to for us poor bastards who are trapped in The Peoples Republic of Daleystan?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't we talk you out of moving into Shicago proper? You do know that Illinois has one of the best transit systems around. Almost every suburb around Chicago has Amtrac trains that go into the city.

For storage, Gun World here in Bensenville I think has the best deal. I believe it's a $100 for the year with no limit on the number of guns.

Leaving out NFA weapons, I don't think Cook County (not Shitcago) has ever prosecuted someone for violating the AWB only. It's usually a tack on charge. Like they find you beating the hell out of your wife or dealing crack out of your house and find your AK. They will tack that on to the other charges.

I believe handgun ammo is illegal in Shitcago or most likely they would refuse your registration.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Registration is a PIA, (need to send photo & have notarized), but you should have no problem registering a Ruger PC carbine. There is no absolute ban on handgun ammunition in Chicago, EXCEPT that you need to have a registration for a  carbine/rifle in that caliber.  You can't register a handgun uless you are LE.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know what the magazine capacity laws are in Chicago?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]

-edit-  I was wrong, you can have it there, just can't buy it or sell it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
deleted-
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ruger PC9 in Chicago Proper Pooper?

Fixed it for ya!

Quoted:
Does anyone know what the magazine capacity laws are in Chicago?

8-20-030 Definitions.
(i)     "Assault ammunition" means any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than twelve (12) rounds of ammunition.

8-24-025 Assault weapons or ammunition--Sale prohibited-- Exceptions.
(a)     No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or assault ammunition, as those terms are defined in Chapter 8-20 of this Code. This section shall not apply to any officer, agent, or employee of this or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers as defined in this Code to the extent that any such pers on is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon or assault ammunition and is acting within the scope of his or her duties. In addition, this section shall not apply to the acquisition or possession of assault ammunition by persons employed to provide security for armored carriers or mobile check cashing services while in the course of such duties, while commuting directly to or from the person's place of employment, and while at the person's home, if the assault ammunition (1) is acquired or possessed for use with a weapon that the person has been authorized to carry under Section 28 of the Illinois Private Detective, Private Alarm and Private Security Act of 1983; and (2) consists of an ammunition magazine that has a capacity of 15 or fewer rounds of ammunition.
(b)     Any assault weapon or assault ammunition possessed, sold or transferred in violation of subsection (a) is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Section 8-20-220.
(c)     Any person found in violation of this section shall be sentenced to not more than six months imprisonment or fined not less than $500.00 and not more than $1,000.00 or both.
(d)     Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or assault ammunition prohibited by this section shall have 14 days from the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:
(1)     To remove the assault weapon or ammunition from within the limits of the City of Chicago; or
(2)     To modify the assault weapon either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault weapon; or
(3)     To surrender the assault weapon or ammunition to the superintendent of police or his designee for disposal in accordance with Section 8-20-220.
(Added Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196; Amend Coun. J. 7-29-92, p. 20068; Amend Coun. J. 9-14-94, p. 56287)

8-20-160 Possession of ammunition.
No person shall possess ammunition in the City of Chicago unless:
(a)     He is a person exempted pursuant to Section 8-20-040 of this chapter; or
(b)     He is the holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition possessed, and has the registration certificate in his possession while in possession of the ammunition; or
(c)     He is a licensed weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 4-144 or a licensed shooting gallery or gun club pursuant to Chapter 4-149 of this Code.
(Prior code § 11.1-14; Amend Coun. J. 9-14-94, p. 56287)

4-144-061 Sale of certain handgun ammunition prohibited.
Except as allowed by subsection (e) of Section 8-20-170 of this Code, it shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, barter or give away to any person within the city, any ammunition of the following calibers and types:
.45 automatic
.380 automatic
.38 special
.357 magnum
.25 caliber
.22 caliber, including .22 long
9 millimeter
Any other ammunition, regardless of the designation by the manufacturer, distributor or seller, that is capable of being used as a substitute for any of the foregoing.
(Added Coun. J. 9-14-94, p. 56287)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as the mag cap is 12 or less, it is NOT considered "assault ammunition" (politico idiots define the mag as "ammunition") . That section says you can't BUY handgun ammo INSIDE the city limits, but says nothing about buying it elsewhere. (The same applys to spraypaint, which can't be sold in Chicago).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can't we talk you out of moving into Shicago proper? You do know that Illinois has one of the best transit systems around. Almost every suburb around Chicago hasMetra Amtrac trains that go into the city.

Fixed
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
How about 37MM?

Just picked up one of these Federal Labs launchers

http://www.machinegun.com/images/fedlabs.jpg

Any Daleystan rules against these?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm not sure.

But since it would still qualify as a "firearm", I would think it would have to be registered:

8-20-030 Definitions.
As used in this Title 8:
(f)     "Firearm" means any weapon which will, or is designed to or restored to, expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of any explosive; the frame or receiver of any such device; or any firearm muffler or silencer. Provided, that such term shall not include:
(1)     antique firearm;
(2)     any device used exclusively for line-throwing, signaling, or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or Interstate Commerce Commission; or
(3)     any device used exclusively for firing explosives, rivets, stud cartridges, or any similar industrial ammunition incapable of use as a weapon.

Given that Chicago restricts pellet guns and utility knives, I would doubt they would allow you to register 37 MM.  But you could always call and ask! (Just don't give your name and be calling from a payphone so you can high-tail it out of the area before the SWAT team arrives).

Edited to add:

LINKY

Can I own a gun in the City of Chicago?
As a private citizen, you can own a long gun, but not a handgun or an assault weapon, in the City of Chicago. You must have a current Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card from the Illinois State Police, and you must register your firearms with the City's Gun Registration Program, 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Room 1027 SE, between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm. You can call the Gun Registration Program at (312) 745-5166 for more information.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I see the letters "NFA" in your photo--letters which are absolutely prohibited from private ownership in Illinois, along with CCW.

You sure you want to move?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can't we talk you out of moving into Shicago proper? You do know that Illinois has one of the best transit systems around. Almost every suburb around Chicago has Metra AND Amtrak trains that go into the city.

Fixed

Re-Fixed Amtrak runs north, west, southwest, south, and southeast out of Chicago.

P.S. There is nothing "proper" about Chicago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Apparenty .40 and 10mm are fair game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I see the letters "NFA" in your photo--letters which are absolutely prohibited from private ownership in Illinois, along with CCW.

You sure you want to move?

Yeah, definitely.
I'm sure I won't want to stay very long, but I do want to live there for a time.
The fun toys can stay at home for the time being.

I'll register a Ruger Police Carbine, block the mags to 12 rounds and make due with it while i'm there.

It's a good thing.
If the day ever comes where i'm demanded to hand over all of my firearms by the government based on my 4473's, i'll be able to prove that I lived in a city that forbid most of them, thus supporting the claim that I sold all of them before I left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top