Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:49:43 PM EDT
Dear Roadhawk

I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. I am sorry for the delayed response to your e-mail but State Senator Steve Rauschenberger (R-Elgin) has recently joined my team as the Lt. Governor candidate. We have been traveling the state sharing our vision for reform, leadership and restoration of middle class values.

Since we have united for reform, we have received an overwhelming positive response from people who want to support our team. I hope we can also count on your support.

Again, thank you for your question and interest.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season,

Ron

As I said before, he reminds me of a used car salesman.  I don't trust him.  My question was not "do you support the 2nd amendment", but "what are your views on the second amendment and gun ownnership and CCW by private citizens."

You can be a gun control freak and support the 2nd amendment and interpret the 2nd to apply to only the military.  Just saying you supoort the 2nd says nothing.

My response...

Dear Ron,

I wish you the best of luck in your run for the office of Govenor of  the State of Illinois.  

Your statement of supporting the 2nd Amendent is very hollow in my view.  You give no specifics. Do you realize that there are many law abiding citizens in this state that shoot rifles and pistols as a sport?  Do you realize the number of law abiding citizens that hunt in Illinois?  And most importantly, do you realize the number of law abiding citizens that bear arms to protect themselves and their families from evil???

I am talking about defending ourselves, our families and our property from those that would do us harm.  

What are your views in allowing law abiding citizens the chance to protect themselves and their families?

Will you sign a bill to allow Concealed Carry in the state of Illinois?

How is Illinois different from the the majority of other states that allow CCW?  King Daley has been wrong on his approach to gun control and has only aided the increase of murders in his city.

Ron, if you want my vote, I need you to speak openly on how you support the 2nd.  Give us the details, and most importantly, let us know that we will not be treated as criminals just for owning a gun.  

Thank you,

RH

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What you got is typical lip service of any politician on this issue.

Vote libertarian.  Or as the NRA says, FREEDOM FIRST.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the response I recieved,

I apologize for the delay in returning your e-mail. As you have probably heard, State Senator Steve Rauschenberger (R-Elgin) has joined my campaign as my running mate and we have been very busy traveling the state sharing our vision for reform, leadership and restoration of middle class values. I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. I think it’s terribly important that innocent citizens have the opportunity to protect themselves, their families and their homes. At the same time we also have to find ways to keeps guns out of the hands of criminals.

Again, thank you for your question. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Ron and Roadhawk:
He's sending you a form letter, with no real intent IMO to give you any speck of the answer you want.

Do we know what Jim Oberweis' stance is? Bill Brady?

Edit-I checked Oberweis' website and he'll back CCW.

I couldn't find anything on Brady's site.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the email I recieved from him.

Dear AKRay,

Thank you for your question. I do support the Second Amendment and the right for people to bear arms in their homes to protect themselves and their families.

Again, thank you for your question,

Ron

My reply:

Berkowitz: The assault weapon ban. It was phased out at the federal
level. Some people think that Illinois should have its own ban on
assault weapons. Do you agree?

Gidwitz: Well, I think that an assault weapon ban is appropriate. By
the same token, I think it is almost impossible to enforce.

Berkowitz: Would you, if he asked and you were sitting down like
this—would you tell Mayor Daley he should change that law?

Gidwitz: I would tell him that I don't agree with him. By the same
token, I don't believe we ought to have a concealed weapon. People
ought not carry concealed weapons on the street.

The above is from an interview recently. How can you say you support
the 2nd Amendment? You think an assault weapon ban is appropriate and
you do not believe people should have concealed carry. I think you
should study the issue and I think you will find that firearms in the
hands of law abiding citizens are not the problem. This will be a
major issue during the 2006 election. People see thru the talking out
both sides of your mouth. And the canidates stance's will be watched
closely by gun owners to ensure that Illlinois elects a true pro-2nd
Amendment governor. Thanks AKRay

In May I talked with Gidwitz in person. I asked him do you support concealed carry for law abiding citizens? He said "Yes". I then asked. If you are elected would you sign a concealed carry bill? He said "Yes".  The man will say anything to get elected.

Concealed carry for Illinois
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Rauschenberger should have been on top of that ticket.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent him a nasty email.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

npd,
wasn't Rauschenberger the NRA's pick when he ran for Senate last year?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

npd,
wasn't Rauschenberger the NRA's pick when he ran for Senate last year?

Yes. ISRA/NRA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Our choices, realistically, come down to Blago or Topinka.
At least with Topinka, we'll get Joe Birkett.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Our choices, realistically, come down to Blago or Topinka.
At least with Topinka, we'll get Joe Birkett.

ckmorley

I thought Oberweis was running?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Last November Rauschenberger had a table at the gunshow here in Bloomington.   A couple of younger guys were working the table.    They went on and on about how Steve  supports concealed carry.  

But, when they were pushed on whether Steve would sign an assault weapons ban into law in IL.  they wouldn't   answer.  The 2 fellows at the table would balk,say that Steve supports gunowners.  After few more minutes of conversation I asked agian.  All they could say was that they didn't know.

The brother of Jim Oberweis was at that same show,forget the gentlemans name.   His answer was that if Jim gets into office no anti-gun legislation would get past his desk.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top