Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 12:00:10 AM EDT
Glad to see these guys are with the times...not!  About damn time.  This is my favorite part of the article:
"The notion of campus police officers carrying guns has 33-year-old Jason Whiston, a student at Harper, concerned. "
Hello DUDE, you are 33 and still in college!!!!  lol.  Read the article and enjoy our Liberal state!

Harper police to carry semiautomatic pistols
By Michael Puente
Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Students arriving for class on Monday at Harper College in Palatine might notice something different at the school.

Instead of a new sculpture or painting waiting for them, it will be members of the campus police force packing heat.

After several years of debate and consideration, 11 full-time and five part-time members of the Harper College Police Department will be carrying Glock semiautomatic pistols.

The notion of campus police officers carrying guns has 33-year-old Jason Whiston, a student at Harper, concerned.

“Myself and others have no idea this was happening. We weren’t aware (until recently) that they would have guns,” said Whiston, a Palatine resident who is a member of the college’s Student Senate.

“Just the idea that people will have guns makes me unsettled.”

College officials say the guns provide its police force — whose members receive the same amount of training as municipal police officers — with all the necessary tools to be effective.

“If we ask Harper police officers to perform the same duties as municipal police officers — that is protect and, potentially, put themselves in harms way — then we must give them similar tools and the training to carrying out these duties in a safe and effective manner,” said college spokesman Phil Burdick.

He said the college is not a sanctuary from crime or emergency situations that happen in public.

“The college campus is not an island,” Burdick said. “The campus is a reflection of the suburbs around it.”

According to college Deputy Police Chief Paul LeBreck, a retired sergeant of the Palatine Police Department, campus officers face dangers similar to officers in a city or village. Campus officers enforce orders of protection or intercede in domestic situations that occur at the college.

Like all police officers in Illinois, Harper College police officers must pass a 40-hour firearms course administered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. College police officers also receive ongoing training following their formal training.

However, LeBreck say its officers don’t treat Harper like another village or town.

“The police officers here on campus have to understand the mission of the college is to educate the students. We try to adapt the law enforcement to that mission,” LeBreck said. “We are part of that educational mission.”

Harper is hardly the first community college or four-year institution that arms its police officers.

College of DuPage, Triton Community College and Moraine Valley Community College have armed police officers, as does Northwestern University, the University of Illinois and University of Chicago.

According to Harper officials, 21 local police departments, including Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Palatine and Rolling Meadows, support its plan to arm its police officers.

LeBreck said students and faculty aren’t likely to notice anything different about the campus police force come next week.

“We’re not going to be doing anything differently,” he said.

Burdick said the decision to allow its police force to carry guns is not base on any increase in crime on the campus.

“Our crime rate is really low,” he said.

Burdick said the college has held meetings around campus to inform students and faculty of the change. So far, Burdick said, the issue has received little opposition or feedback.

The college will still have three full-time and 15 part-time community service officers who will not be armed.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Are campus police not considered regular LEO's on the same level as a regular officer of the City of Palatine?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are campus police not considered regular LEO's on the same level as a regular officer of the City of Palatine?

Full-time campus police ARE regular LEO's.  They go to the same academy as municpal officers.  It's just up to colleges to set forth the policies if they want to arm their officers.  I remember when I met the incoming (then) Chief from C.O.D.  He told me that he was going to arm his full-time officers and that the campus was a little apprehensive at first too.  But, look them now.  No problems.  That 33yo dork thinks it might be a problem has issues.  Obviously he hasn't seen a six foot something 250 lb something high schooler get in to it with a 5 foot something 180ish lb cop.  It's not easy when you have to use minimal force and that high schooler has no fear of the consequences.

edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]

“Just the idea that people will have guns makes me unsettled.”

What a tool!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The fact that he's 33 and at a community college has me unsettled.

Nothing wrong with Harper, but damn, sometimes I'm very glad I'm at ISU.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, maybe someday, that means the Dept. of Aviation Police that is there to "protect" our airports will get guns too.  DOA should have AR's but are walking around with ASP's, gotta love it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Full-time campus police ARE regular LEO's.  They go to the same academy as municpal officers.  It's just up to colleges to set forth the policies if they want to arm their officers.  I remember when I met the incoming (then) Chief from C.O.D.  He told me that he was going to arm his full-time officers and that the campus was a little apprehensive at first too.  But, look them now.  No problems.  That 33yo dork thinks it might be a problem has issues.  Obviously he hasn't seen a six foot something 250 lb something high schooler get in to it with a 5 foot something 180ish lb cop.  It's not easy when you have to use minimal force and that high schooler has no fear of the consequences.

edited for spelling.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I go to Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills, and of the probably 10-15 or so officers at the college, I've seen ONE carry a gun.  Don't know if he's the chief or what, but that's what I've seen.

As far as older individuals attending college, I wouldn't be surprised.  I've seen 30 year olds, 50 year olds, etc.  There are a lot of people "coming back" to school and getting degrees and such.  In one of my recreation therapy classes(my major) I knew a 60 year old woman, that used to be a teacher, but went back for a degree.  

ETA=The article says it wrong about Moraine.  They have ONE armed Police Officer.  I know, I go there.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I go to Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills  

One of my housemates went there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good school.

CKMorley went there too...In the 80's...or so he tells me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good school.

CKMorley went there too...In the 80's...or so he tells me.

Yup. Long time ago. Finished my BA at UIC.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
University of Chicago's "rent-a-cops" (as they were affectionately called) are armed.  Of course, they are "in the ghetto," so it only stands to reason.  I was also under the impression that most of them were off-duty or retired CPD, as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I know one of Moraine's cops is either a current Blue Island PD officer, or he was.  SO I am under the impression that they are either off-duty, retired cops, or current, but do work at MVCC on their days off.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hell I'm older than that and have been thinking of taking a class at COD.. I needing to speaka the Spanish so I can do my job my friend!

Of course his real problem isn't that he's taking a class at a college at 33. It's the fact that he's a 33 year old on the Student Senate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell I'm older than that and have been thinking of taking a class at COD.. I needing to speaka the Spanish so I can do my job my friend!

Of course his real problem isn't that he's taking a class at a college at 33. It's the fact that he's a 33 year old on the Student Senate.

Yeah there is nothing wrong with taking classes at any age, but being involved in StuGov?

Of course there was a 35 year old living next door to my friend in a dorm last year.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]

took some criminal justices classes there in the late 80's myself
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I don't see that as a problem.  

I'm on the College Bowl team at Moraine(academic bowl team) and we've played against other schools that have older individuals on their teams.

If you have an open mind and can do what's asked of you, then why is age a problem?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Shouldn't you be looking for another job rather than giving your own money to support people who are trying to change this country's language to a 3rd world language (spanish)?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The guy is probably pissed that he spilled the bong water on his carpet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:33:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't you be looking for another job rather than giving your own money to support people who are trying to change this country's language to a 3rd world language (spanish)?

Well, since it was my quote, not beerstud's, I'll respond.

I work in law enforcement. Many of my encounters with the public involve people who speak other languages. Of those, far and away the language that is spoken more often than not is Spanish. I would like to understand what's being said. Many of those who choose to speak Spanish in front of us, also speak English, but don't, or won't. Until they realize that the officer also speaks Spanish. Then they magically understand and speak English.

Purely from an officer safety standpoint, being fluent in Spanish could help me or my coworkers be forewarned of an imminent attack if they're planning it in Spanish assuming we don't understand.

It also helps out on investigations as well. I speak French pretty well, not nearly as well as I used to. Back when I was in school, the only two languages available were French and German. I zhould havf takin ze Zehrmin klass, exzept ze Frenzch teazcher vas exztremely hott, you zee!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in law enforcement. Many of my encounters with the public involve people who speak other languages. Of those, far and away the language that is spoken more often than not is Spanish. I would like to understand what's being said. Many of those who choose to speak Spanish in front of us, also speak English, but don't, or won't. Until they realize that the officer also speaks Spanish. Then they magically understand and speak English.

Purely from an officer safety standpoint, being fluent in Spanish could help me or my coworkers be forewarned of an imminent attack if they're planning it in Spanish assuming we don't understand.

Oh I agree that in that situation it would give you a tactical advantage to know spanish as a good deal of the crime in this country is communicated via spanish. Yet, other than for LE reasons I don't see why supposed American patriots should be supporting the language of our enemies, especially financially (to paraphrase from Fidel Castro, how appropriate).

Just say NO to spanish.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I agree that in that situation it would give you a tactical advantage to know spanish as a good deal of the crime in this country is communicated via spanish. Yet, other than for LE reasons I don't see why supposed American patriots should be supporting the language of our enemies, especially financially (to paraphrase from Fidel Castro, how appropriate).

Just say NO to spanish.

Regarding your original quote, can you provide one verifiable example of exactly how paying tuition to a community college is considered funding those who want to change America's official language to Spanish? Just one, please, is all I ask.

Some people also like to know Spanish because they travel or conduct business internationally.

Feeling that there's no reason to know Spanish is an ignorant point of view. For what it's worth, why are you quoting Fidel Castro, who speaks only Spanish? And how did you know what he said? Maybe it was an interpreter??

BTW... our enemies? Who'd that be?

If you're referring to those who come north across the border illegally, would language would be more effective at telling them to stop?

I find it ironic that the most appropriate analogy to describe your statements is that of a blindfolded child swinging wildly at a piñata.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Regarding your original quote, can you provide one verifiable example of exactly how paying tuition to a community college is considered funding those who want to change America's official language to Spanish? Just one, please, is all I ask.

Some people also like to know Spanish because they travel or conduct business internationally.

Feeling that there's no reason to know Spanish is an ignorant point of view. For what it's worth, why are you quoting Fidel Castro, who speaks only Spanish? And how did you know what he said? Maybe it was an interpreter??

If you're referring to those who come north across the border illegally, would language would be more effective at telling them to stop?

I find it ironic that the most appropriate analogy to describe your statements is that of a blindfolded child swinging wildly at a piñata.

Fidel speaks fluent English, he choses not to however because "ït is the language of my enemies". I found it ironic to paraquote that in reverse. Yes, the rabble coming across the border stealing our treasure and committing crimes against our people are our enemies. Or should I say the enemies of the American people as I don't get the impression that they're your enemies at all.

Since you're apparently not aware (or are well aware but are on the other side of this issue) there is a growing movement in this country to force all Americans to speak a 3rd world language spoken "only" by millions of illegals. For whatever reason we have people, businesses, even government bending over backwards catering to these people. Apparently, we need to speak the language of the illegals, not the other way around.

While there certainly are valid international business reasons to speak spanish, more often than not it's just an excuse to cater to illegal immigrants and that said businesses employ illegals.

But hey, that's a federal problem, not yours eh?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
My roommate down here my freshman year was 29.  Hell, there was a 45 year old in my building not too long ago.

BUT MY POINT IS THEY WERENT ON THE STUDENT SENATE.

Community college+33 year old+ student senate...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm with NPD, being a cop, and I deal with a lot of Hispanics on traffic stops, it would help to know more than a few words.  NPD, I attended a NEMRT class for Survival Spanish that was 2 or 3 days long.  It was very good, I would recommend you look into it if you haven't attended it yet.  Sadly, fo me, my aptitude to learn a second language probably closed it's door when I was about 8 years old...lol.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Hell living in little mexico, cough cough, bensenville I to would like to know spanish. Would be very helpful to prevent you from getting mugged.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fidel speaks fluent English, he choses not to however because "ït is the language of my enemies". I found it ironic to paraquote that in reverse. Yes, the rabble coming across the border stealing our treasure and committing crimes against our people are our enemies. Or should I say the enemies of the American people as I don't get the impression that they're your enemies at all.

Since you're apparently not aware (or are well aware but are on the other side of this issue) there is a growing movement in this country to force all Americans to speak a 3rd world language spoken "only" by millions of illegals. For whatever reason we have people, businesses, even government bending over backwards catering to these people. Apparently, we need to speak the language of the illegals, not the other way around.

While there certainly are valid international business reasons to speak spanish, more often than not it's just an excuse to cater to illegal immigrants and that said businesses employ illegals.

One example, please, of a community college advancing a stand to make Spanish our national language. One. It can't be that hard. It's a "growing movement"

Third world language? What world do you live on?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One example, please, of a community college advancing a stand to make Spanish our national language. One. It can't be that hard. It's a "growing movement"

Third world language? What world do you live on?

Big +1.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Tapping foot... whistling... hearing crickets...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top