Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 5:14:46 PM EDT
Hi,

I am planning to go hunting in Wisconsin later on this year with a buddy who lives in Chicago area (Buffalo Grove, I believe). I live in NJ. I am planning to drive there, pick up my friend and head to Wisconsin. Now, I am sure it is legal for me to travel through Chicago with a .22 rifle and a shotgun locked in the trunk, unloaded, etc. But what about if I wanted to stay at my friend's place for a week or so after we're back from WI? Would this present a legal problem?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

P.S.
I legally own these guns in my state of residence, and my friend does not have an IL FOID card.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffalo Grove is a suburb of Chicago and is not under Chicago rule.  Buffalo Grove does not have any bans.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buffalo Grove is a suburb of Chicago and is not under Chicago rule.  Buffalo Grove does not have any bans.  

What he said.

Despite the well-televised antics of "King" Richie Daley, Mayor of Chicago and the fifty-first ward (all of the rest of the state) in his mind Chicago's corporate boundary does actually stop at some point.

Luckily, hizzoner's anti gun agenda stops there too - except about twice annually when his zombie lackeys follow the commands of their Democratic master and regurgitate more gun grabbing legislation in Springfield...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

Despite the well-televised antics of "King" Richie Daley, Mayor of Chicago and the fifty-first ward (all of the rest of the state) in his mind Chicago's corporate boundary does actually stop at some point.

Luckily, hizzoner's anti gun agenda stops there too - except about twice annually when his zombie lackeys follow the commands of their Democratic master and regurgitate more gun grabbing legislation in Springfield...

Very well said Tango!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda OT, but since you're using a shotgun, I have to ask, where/what are you planning on hunting?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Kinda OT, but since you're using a shotgun, I have to ask, where/what are you planning on hunting?

Small game. Don't know exactly where in WI. Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am sure that a bolt-action .22 and a pump shotgun do not fall under any bans. My question was about IL law in general: whether or not a non-resident may have fireamrs in his posession while in the state.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No problem with non resident transporting firearms in IL--provided they are not immediatley accessable from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. Keep the guns in the trunk. Lock the ammo up seperately. Obviously dont keep any firearms, ammo, gun cases, etc in plain view. LEO's get a wee bit worked up about that near Chicago.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You are fine.

www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

"If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

I'm not entirely sure about your friend the IL resident "possessing" your guns  in IL.  He might need to have a FOID in order to "possess" (handle?) your guns in IL.  Doesn't make sense that you should be allowed to let a non-FOID holder handle your gun . . . gun ranges do it all the time. Of course, since you are hunting in WI, it's a moot point because up there you'd both be non-residents (of WI).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just curious becasue the only Shotty only areas are by the cities ( for deer).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top