Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT
A few months ago, I had several firearms stolen from a friend's house. I filed a police report when I discovered they were missing - unfortunately, it had been several months since I had actually seen them, so there's a window of months, rather than days. Bad on me.

(Please don't bother flaming me on this one - it's why I posted it here instead of GD. I'm already PO'd enough without additional BS)

Anyway, get a call from the detective handling the case to tell me he hasn't seen them turn up in any crimes yet (thank goodness), and he told me they had been entered in the ISP database.

(No duh... I had to fill out a "Lost Official ID" report when I lost my wallet and my "baby" badge was missing)

I mentioned that I was thinking of sending faxes to gunstores in the Chicago area with SN's and descriptions to tell dealers to be on the lookout for them... he replied that gun dealers were supposed to call the ISP and ask about SN's on guns that were traded or brought in for consignment sale.

HUH? I've never heard of this... truth, or BS?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
BS
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got off the phone with my buddy Susan (The Adventure Store, Waukegan). She called , and said that FFl's don;t have access to LEADS (The Illinois Law Enforcement Agencies Data System) where stolen gun info is stored.

I don't know why this cop was blowing smoke, but...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a TRACK flier with the serial numbers being sent out to pawn shops and gun stores would help.  Then again maybe the department does not use a TRACK system.

So, is the friend the suspect?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BS

I agree, went to an ATFE / ISP annual get together question answer session last year when I was still at Maxon's. The questions was asked by FFL's, multiple times, on how to check if a gun was stollen. No such system in Illinois exists for IL FFL's.  

Only way to find out you own a stollen gun is to have it stollen or get pulled over with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you to all those that answered with a full statement.

The question from the original poster was "truth or BS". It was also addressed to Illinois FFL's. Since I am an Illinois FFL and you're not, and the poster requested a "truth or BS" answer, I felt it wouldn't be that hard to understand. Since you obviously don't know all the answers I don't think it is very wise on your part to be running down people that are trying to help others.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry about the delay in responding.

I agree it's BS., and I don't find fault with a shortened response.

I do appreciate the additional info. Thanks to everybody for the input. Looks like I'll be assembling a fax soon... and no, the friend isn't a suspect... her former roomate and the roomie's (ex?) hubby are "persons of interest", however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top