Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 1:18:23 PM EDT
Call and write the Cook County Commisioners!  Even if you do not live in Cook County, your calls and emails will help send the message.  

Cook County Board Members Contact List

AWB to be voted on Sept. 8th

Earlean Collins 312-603-4566

Bobbie Steele (D) 312-603-3019

Jerry Butler (D) 312-603-6391

John Stroger (D) 312-603-6400

Deborah Sims (D) 312-603-6381

Joan Murphy (D) [email protected]

Joseph Moreno (D) 312-603-5443

Roberto Maldonado (D) 312-603-6386 [email protected]

Mike Quigley (D) 312-603-4210 [email protected]

John P. Daley (D) 312-603-4400

Forrest Claypool (D) 312-603-6380 [email protected]

Larry Suffredin (D) [email protected]

Gregg Goslin ® 312-603-4932 [email protected]

Carl Hansen ® 312-603-6388

Anthony Peraica ® 312-603-6384 [email protected]

Elizabeth Gorman ® 312-603-4215 [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Your calls and letters are working, so keep it up!

COOK COUNTY GUN BAN OPENING SOME EYES

Murphy backs off gun bill

Commissioner says she did not fully understand ordinance when she signed

Friday, August 26, 2005

By Jonathan Lipman
Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cook County Commissioner Joan Murphy is backing away from a gun-control bill she had pledged to support after getting phone calls from residents opposing it.
The bill, authored by Commissioner Larry Suffredin (D-Evanston), seeks to update the county's 15-year-old assault weapons ban.

Suffredin said the bill is similar to the federal assault weapons ban that expired last year, and it would set a minimum standard for all villages and cities countywide.

Murphy was a co-sponsor when the bill was introduced July 12, along with South Side Commissioner John Daley (D-Chicago). But she said this week she's pulling her support and may vote against it.

"It's because of the number of calls I've received from people I respect, many of them people who have had guns since World War II," Murphy (D-Crestwood) said.

Suffredin said he's not sure how important Murphy's vote will be to get the legislation passed. Daley said Thursday he still backs the bill, and Commissioner Mike Quigley (D-Chicago) said he will ask to join as a co-sponsor.

The county's existing assault weapons ban has been in place since 1993.

"All I ever intended to do was consult with the police departments to update the ordinance, not expand anything, and to try to deal with the public safety," Suffredin said.

The Illinois State Rifle Association distributed a letter Aug. 17 urging members to call commissioners and oppose the bill.

"It is very likely that various police departments will conduct midnight raids on gun owners' homes, as a publicity stunt," the letter says.

Under the proposal, "most of the semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns you own would be banned and subject to confiscation," the letter says

Suffredin disputed the claims, saying all of the guns covered in his bill were illegal under the expired federal ban, and nearly all of them still are illegal under the county's existing ban. Hunting weapons and antique weapons would not be affected, he said.

Murphy said she did not fully understand the ordinance when she agreed to become a co-sponsor.

"After I dissect this a little further, I'll see what changes have been made to the old law," Murphy said. "I will probably speak out against it ... but I may vote 'present.' "

She doesn't agree with the rifle association's claims but also says Suffredin's proposal and the existing county assault weapon ban may be unconstitutional, and have been ineffective.

"Rather than add another law, why don't we just enforce the laws we have?" Murphy said. "The law that was passed was to get assault weapons off the street, but that hasn't really happened has it?"

Murphy said she does not believe most of the people calling her are rifle association members.

Suffredin said his office was "inundated with calls" days after the rifle association letter went out.

The 1993 county law banned assault weapons by specific name, listing 61 different weapon "types," such as an AK-47 assault rifle or Uzi carbine, that cannot be bought, sold, or owned anywhere in Cook County.

The law covers all of unincorporated Cook County and any village in the county without its own weapons ban. Any village that does have a law must adopt rules at least as strict as the county's.

Suffredin's bill would update the names of those 61 weapons and also add a list of general characteristics that define whether a gun not on that list is also an "assault weapon." Those characteristics include any semi-automatic rifle that holds more than 10 rounds, features a pistol grip or has a folding stock.

"I'm not trying to affect any gun owner's ownership," Suffredin said. "Under the existing ordinance they shouldn't have these guns in the first place."

Jonathan Lipman may be reached at [email protected] or (312) 782-1286.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry if I offended anyone on the locked thread. I guess I can feel the way I feel without posting it here. I shouldn't blanket everyone. As always, I will lend my hand to defeat this ban. I will make my calls Monday, and don't worry, I won't make us look bad. The right things will be said.

Apologies to those of any ethnicities on this board I offended, we are all on the same side here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry if I offended anyone on the locked thread. I guess I can feel the way I feel without posting it here. I shouldn't blanket everyone. As always, I will lend my hand to defeat this ban. I will make my calls Monday, and don't worry, I won't make us look bad. The right things will be said.

Apologies to those of any ethnicities on this board I offended, we are all on the same side here.

I think you went a little overboard with some of the specifics, but if it's one thing you were correct about is that most blacks support gun control. Those are the cold hard facts. Granted it's because they are constantly indoctrinated that guns=bad and guns are always used as a scapegoat for the "cause" of gang violence. But this is a large ethnicity that supports gun control and until that changes, I don't have the luxury of assuming anything else. This is the same group that votes Richard Daley mayor election after election.

As far as this "ban", yea, like we give a shit about the current ban that's out now. You go right ahead and pass it.

I was wondering when it would hit home that grandfather's M1 Carbine was now classified as an Assault Weapon(tm). Hah!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The vote is supposed to take place on September 8th.  Keep up the pressure!  Even if you don't live in Cook County, your help is appreciated.  If Cook County passes this crap, your county may not be far behind.  Please help!

Edited to post the correct date.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Reply from Commissioner Gregg Goslin...

Dear Mr. Roadhawk:

Thank you for your recent e-mail on the proposed county-wide ban on "Assault Weapons". This matter has been referred to committee where I will oppose this legislation.

Thank you for your input. Sincerely, Gregg Goslin, Commissioner

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Any update on the outcome?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I just checked, I have the wrong date in the above post.  The ordinance will be brought up for vote on September 8th.

Sorry for the mistake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Any word on the vote?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No vote today. Held in Committee. One of the people I talked to on the phone today that works for one of the board members said they were getting lots of calls against the bill.

IllinoisCarry.com A forum dedicated to advancing concealed carry legislation in Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No vote today. Held in Committee. One of the people I talked to on the phone today that works for one of the board members said they were getting lots of calls against the bill.

IllinoisCarry.com A forum dedicated to advancing concealed carry legislation in Illinois.

...about time you got you're butt over here and registered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top