Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 12:29:47 PM EDT
So I know we can't have any NFA in Illinois but where's the nearest range to the Chicago area where we can rent it?  Wisconsin or Indiana?  Anyone ever done this?  What are the rental rates and nfa goodies available?

thanks in advance,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Learn to bumpfire and come to Buffalo.

Other than that, Indiana or Wisconsin would be your best bet.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Range Masters in Chesterton, IN. rents Class 3.

An MP5 and a Port Said, IIRC.
$80, includes an hour of range time and a couple mags.

I've shot MP5's there with "Tim" from the now defunct FA.com.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Chandlerville, Illinois, south east of Havana, he a class 3 full auto rentals up the belt fed 50 bmg
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you go to knob creek in Oct. and get your fill of machine guns!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure you go to knob creek in Oct. and get your fill of machine guns!

+1 - Knob Creek is a lot of fun. I won't be going this time around but I have gone twice so far and it is great. Bring plenty of money though, because you'll want to be able to shoot everything at least a few times.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
xmikex,

You ever want to shoot some FA stuff let me know, we have pleanty up here, just bring some factory ammo, not wolf and not re-loads. Let me know.

Batch114
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for KC, WOW.
As for full auto, Siddens Indoor Range in Buckhart, IL (central IL) has a rentable 30 carbine.  I'm not sure of the cost though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Chandlerville, Illinois, south east of Havana, he a class 3 full auto rentals up the belt fed 50 bmg

I thought full-auto was forbidden in Illinois without exception.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought full-auto was forbidden in Illinois without exception.

Absolutely NOT true. I was at a range last night that had full auto weapons for rent. I owned an UZI for three years.  It's just harder here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
hock.gif Full Auto
I bet you have to sign your life away and have ISP and County visit you once a week.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What does it take to get FA in Il?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#12]
be a class 3 FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
be a class 3 FFL dealer.

Yep. You gotta pay the feds $500 per year for the privilege.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
xmikex,

You ever want to shoot some FA stuff let me know, we have pleanty up here, just bring some factory ammo, not wolf and not re-loads. Let me know.

Batch114

And oh do they!!!!

That full auto glock 17 I shot with you folks last winter was something else!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Pardon my ignorance, but how does the Class III FFL  license get around the Illinois state law that says you cannot possess machine guns?  i.e. 720 ILCS 5/24‑1(a)(7)(1)  

(I know there are certain exemptions for on-duty police, armed forces, licensed manufacturers of machine guns,  et al.)  See 720 ILCS 5/24-2(c)  But for those who are not fortunate enough to be within one of those categories...

Am I missing something?  I was thinking possibly federal law preempts state and local law (as in the case of the recent legislation Congress passed to allow police and retired police to carry concealed -- subject to restrictions, see P.L. 108-277 -- notwithstanding state & local law) but I have not been able to find authority for that proposition.  

i.e. Anyone know where in the federal law does it say that Class III FFLs are exempt from state & local laws restricting possession/ownership, or that those laws are preempted by federal law... or how it works?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does the Class III FFL  license get around the Illinois state law that says you cannot possess machine guns?  i.e. 720 ILCS 5/24‑1(a)(7)(1)  

(I know there are certain exemptions for on-duty police, armed forces, licensed manufacturers of machine guns,  et al.)  See 720 ILCS 5/24-2(c)  But for those who are not fortunate enough to be within one of those categories...

Am I missing something?  I was thinking possibly federal law preempts state and local law (as in the case of the recent legislation Congress passed to allow police and retired police to carry concealed -- subject to restrictions, see P.L. 108-277 -- notwithstanding state & local law) but I have not been able to find authority for that proposition.  

i.e. Anyone know where in the federal law does it say that Class III FFLs are exempt from state & local laws restricting possession/ownership, or that those laws are preempted by federal law... or how it works?

I don't know how they do it, but the last time I looked at NFA records, there are MANY machine guns, SBR's, and surpressors registered in IL.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I saw somewhere -- actually here -- that: "There is an exception to the above prohibition, providing for the manufacture and sale of machine guns to law enforcement personnel only. This allows class 3 dealers to possess machine guns as long as they are for distribution only to law enforcement and military personnel provided such weapons are 'broken down in a non-functioning state or not immediately accessible.'"

So I can see how gun shops that have class III FFL's can possess machine guns if they are holding them for sale to those entitled to possess them under IL law, but I don't think that seems to extend to just having full auto guns for rent.... unless they can legitimately claim that those rentals are being offered for sale to those entitled to possess them  -- but then what about the "non-functioning state" and "not immediately accessible"?

Any other ideas on how it is legal in IL to possess full auto with a class III FFL?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure the guys above are talking about becomeing a "Manufacturer" and paying the $500 per year special operations tax (SOT).

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Check the law but I think they are getting away with it by corporating. Many Large Corps in IL that have a security department; ADM and CAT comes to mind, can own Class 3's. Just not ordinary law abiding citizens with average incomes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, here is the skinny on NFA in Il. As one of the many C3's in Illinois you need to first get your 01 FFL. After that you send the IRS a check for $500 (good from July 1 to June 30 not pro rated) and get a FEIN. When they cash your check your are a C3 and can have anything except a suppressor, well you can but that is later on.
 Once you are a C3 you can buy Pre samples and transferables at will. All transfers dealer to dealer MUST go through an NFA approval process. This takes about 1mo. If you are looking for post sample guns you will need a letter from a PD saying that they want you to show it to them. Most all rented MG's are post samples.
 Rental of MG's is not allowed, however you are not renting the MG are you? Of course not! You are selling the ammo and letting them use the gun for free! C2 & C3's are allowed to own and transport MG's like any other guns, either broken down or encased and not accessible.
 Suppressors are now allowed to be owned by ammunition manufacturers for testing of subsonic ammunition.
 Illinois residents CAN own one form of NFA. This class of weapons is called AOW (any other weapon) these guns include the Ithaca Auto and Burglar and stockless  short barreled shotguns.  There is a $5 transfer fee as well as paperwork that needs to be filled out. Process takes about 5mo to a year.

IM me with any other questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top