Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT
THEY'VE CHANGED, for the better! I was driving home early from a job in Madison so I stopped at GAT to check ammo prices. Amazingly, they had Winchester/IMI 55 gr. FMJ (.225 not 5.56) for $179.50 a case. I went upstairs to get a chuckle from the prices on EBRs and surprisingly that had some reasonable prices, including on some Colts. So at this point I'm wondering if I took my meds this morning or if maybe I took them twice, when a guy that works there walks up, asks if I need help and I made a smartass comment about the low price. This leads to a discussion where I outlined the many bitches about GAT that we are all so familiar with. He says things, prices and people have changed. I noticed his shirt said Greg Jr. and as it turns out he is the son of the owner. I had to ask him if they realize how many customers and sales they had lost because of the mopes they had behind the counter. I gave him the example that I bought a Binelli SBE2 at Gaylan's rather than there even thugh GAT was cheaper (Galyan's did match the price). Apparently they have been aware of the problems and have taken steps to improve the situation. He said if I have any problems in the future to let him know.

I'm pretty happy, because they do have a big selection and they are pretty close to me. For anyone that used to go there or is thinking about it, I say give them another chance. On the way out everyone said goodbye and they guy that sold me the case of ammo was very friendly (of course I bought a case).

BTW: They are having a Winchester ammo sale September 10th and 11th. That's a busy weekend for me, but I am going to try and make it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Handyandy....that's good to hear. I have shot there many times and bought peripheral stuff such as powder, and gun accessories. I never purchased a gun there partly due to the fact that a few of the counter guys were IMO bozos. They always acted like they knew everything there was to know about firearms. And didn't seem to care whether they pissed folks off or not. I started shooting more at Gun World, partly due to a couple friends shooting there and partly cause I was tired of the antics at GAT. I will give em another go and see for myself....mack
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be checking things out on Friday, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.  If everythings like you say I might end up spending a bunch.

At least when they sucked it wasn't hard not to spend money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in recently and
I found the prices to be fair, the staff to be attentive and friendly.  It was my fist time there.  I had heard gripes from others about the place, but it seems they got their act together now.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is GAT Guns?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
14N915 RT. 25 Dundee, IL 60118

www.gatguns.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like this is the vaunted GAT truckload sale I always hear about.  Can someone give me a ballpark on 5.56 prices that they usually have (if they even have any this time).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top