Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 7:55:32 AM EDT
I am posting this because it's information that should concern every one of us. This is what our IL politicians are stopping to. It was written by a friend of mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a resident of Illinois District 59, for which Kathy Ryg serves as the State Representative in the Illinois General Assembly. I received a flyer in the mail today from Representative Ryg that included two blatant lies. The flyer dealt with the issue of gun control, and while Representative Ryg and I have differing opinions on many issues, I have never seen any mailing from her in the past that was blatantly false.

This mailing included a photograph of a Browning M2HB heavy machine gun, but the photograph was labeled as being of a .50 Caliber Military Sniper Rifle. The caption also stated that the rifle was capable of 550 rounds per minute, and that it was legally available for purchase in Illinois.  While a Browning M2HB is capable of 550 rounds per minute, it is not a "Military Sniper Rifle", it is a machine gun, and machine guns are *not* legal for purchase in Illinois under current law.
So, there are two factual errors on this page alone; mis-labeling a firearm as something it is not, and stating that it is legal to purchase when it is not.

This flyer also included a photograph of an M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and labeled it as an "assault rifle". The caption even went so far as to say "Legal for purchase in Illinois. See photo". M249 Squad Automatic Weapons are light machine guns, not "assault rifles", and are also not legal for purchase in Illinois under current law. This page also has two very important factual errors; another mislabeling of a particular firearm and a statement that it is legal to purchase when it is not.

While I strongly believe in the First Amendment rights of all citizens, I have serious problems with an elected official, or any government official for that matter, blatantly lying to the public as Representative Ryg has done in this mailing by stating that specific firearms are legal for purchase in the State of Illinois, when they are in act *not* legal for purchase in the State of Illinois.

It would appear that either Representative Ryg is purposely spreading falsehoods among her constituents, or is completely ignorant of the issue a hand.

Since I believe it is the responsibility of the press to inform the public of the ignorance or outright lying of a government official, it is my hope that your newspaper will help expose this reprehensible behavior.

Sincerely,

Thomas Ropers
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Representative Kathleen A. Ryg (D-IL 59th)

House of Representatives, Room 231-E
Springfield, IL 62706
Phone: (217) 782-0499
Fax: (217) 557-1934

Main District Office:
Web Site: www.kathyryg.org
50 Lakeview Pkwy., Ste. 114
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
Phone: (847) 680-5909
Fax: (847) 680-5960
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
LDYGNR--

Thanks for the info. I will call and point out the errors. Please send a letter to your local paper and point out these lies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tom, who wrote it sent it out to all his local papers. He gave me permission to post it here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Representative Kathleen A. Ryg (D-IL 59th)

House of Representatives, Room 231-E
Springfield, IL 62706
Phone: (217) 782-0499
Fax: (217) 557-1934

Main District Office:
Web Site: www.kathyryg.org
50 Lakeview Pkwy., Ste. 114
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
Phone: (847) 680-5909
Fax: (847) 680-5960

Hah! Right down the street where I'm doing work, I think I even passed it today.

Maybe I should have a chat with her (even thought she's not my rep).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I called the Vernon Hills number. The woman who answered cut me off and told me that the gentlemen that is "handling this" (presumably the large number of complaints) was not in. I left my name and number. He is supposed to call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
im going to call her office tomm.

i did email her to mail out a retraction , i think she owes the fine people of her district a true and factual mailing!

[email protected]

now i wonder about what else she votes on  thats she is clueless about
( read her bio page , it explains a lot !)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
let them ban them buy name

i highly doubt if any one in illinois owns 1 lol

just kidding but i agree i hate lies and ignorance.....
and these are our leaders" very sad"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, this is one of the House seats that the republicans lost in recent years, and need to regain, if we are to beat back attempts at more gun control in the state legislature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top