Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 6:45:46 AM EDT
I've been shooting at WSC alot recently and wanted to give a little more info here about them. They allow you to shoot there 3 times as a non-member and then ask you to join. You don't need to know someone to join or to shoot. Just drive up to the rifle range and say you are a non-member and pay the $5 fee for the day. I have seen groups of non-members come and shoot. Membership is $25 for the year. Fees are $3 member for the day and $5 non-member. There's usually one range officer on duty and from what I've seen the range officers are less nutty (for lack of a better term) as compared to Bristol.

You do need a range officer present to shoot though.

The rifle range has covered shooting positions. I went there last Tuesday during the rain and shot. What's also nice is that they have 2 quality spotting scopes for anyone to use. These are very helpful if you are sighting in a rifle or just shooting.

No rapid fire is allowed but they don't mind shooting from magazines. Nor do they mind if you shoot at silolettes.
They have shooting positions for 25yds, 50yds, and 100yds. I have been shooting my FAL and AK's there so they don't care about EBR's.

There is also the usual trap and skeet ranges. Not sure what the fee is per round but I believe it was pretty reasonable-- $2 or $3 for members.  

Yorkville - Wisconsin Sportsman's Association, Inc., 1 1/2 miles West of I-94 on Hwy 11, Yorkville, WI 53408.
Phone: 262-878-9990
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (up to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (up to 100 yds), Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet, Airgun
Range Access: Private
www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=WI

It's on the North side (right side of the street) of 11. Accross the street from a trailer park. Open on Sundays 10am to 5pm and Tuesday 2pm to 5pm. I clocked it from 94 and I think it was 2.4 miles. I'm not sure that the phone works. No one is there during the week unless it's a Tuesday or Sunday.

There is a small lake on the property and I believe it is stocked. I'm not sure but I believe as member you can fish there anytime you want.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks For the Info Drobs, I may have to check this out one of these days.

Road trip and I'm even a NRA certified Range Officer too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Drobs
Thanks for the report.

Wow from the map it looks like it is in the middle of town.

Sunday afternoon sounds good to me. I'm there.

I wonder if they allow smoking?

JR
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, if you blink, you may miss the entrance as it's on a 55mph road.  No smoking on the firing line, you'll have to step down into the "parking lot".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
See.

I sure am glad I asked. It does seem to interfere with lead inhalation. best to keep the twp seperate.

JR
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Supposedly they get a bunch of black powder shooters (I've yet to see any) once that hunting season starts up. Black powder and smoking is not a good combination. I smoke too and like MrPX said all you have to do is step a couple feet off the range and into the parking lot.

What's nice about this place is that it's pretty quiet. Not a ton of people. Seems like there are more WI shooters there as compared to Bristol which is 99% IL shooters and range people.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info.

I am going to check it out on Sunday.

JR
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info.

I am going to check it out on Sunday.

JR

I'll try to go too. What time you thinking?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Not before noon. I'll try to get there at 12.30.

PM coming your way.

JR
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Might be there bright and early. Not sure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to have to hold off today. Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got back. Damn good range. 15rd max in the mags, but the RO's a good guy. Fees aren't bad either. Good stuff.

Saw my first MG. Some guy had his registered G3 there. SEF Triggerpack.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I was there too. I did not see any AR's at all. ( I wasn't shooting mine either. M1 and G3 today) I made  friends with some nice fellas on the 100 yard lanes.

I love that place and the price is right. I only wish they had a longer range.

JR
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
WindDrake.  Where were you shooting from? That was me with the G3 but it is semi only. The trigger pack is permanently clipped and converted though the markings are still fully blown. It will run on your sear though. Why not bring it next time?

JR
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Nono, I thought that thing was the real-deal SEF leadhose.

Still, cool gun!

Getting a CETME myself within the next.. week or so. Gotta get the paperwork in order.. Grumble.

I had my AR and 10/22 out, over on the 50yd line. I was the 6'10" guy in the black OCC tshirt.

Heading up next sunday with membership fee in hand. Damn good range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll try to make it Sunday. Will be shooting a pair of AK's and my FAL. If you want I can bring my Cetme with me. So you can try before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't make it next sunday but I am going to join that club soon. It was real homey. Just like I would put in my backyard if it werent for that fricking  middle school.

Kids!

JR
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I may go up on Saturday. I have to call and see if they will allow kids to shoot. I know I can take my 9 year old son to BR but that might be a little intimidating for him. BR would be more fun, he might get bored of shooting paper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I may go up on Saturday. I have to call and see if they will allow kids to shoot. I know I can take my 9 year old son to BR but that might be a little intimidating for him. BR would be more fun, he might get bored of shooting paper.

I think the encouraged me to bring family.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
They are only open on Tuesday afternoons and Sudays.

I asked.

JR
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You can bring your kids ( just make sure to watch them, as the gravel isn't a very good babysitter), plus you can bring reactive targets like hanging steel or those flipping resetting 22 things ( depending on who the RO is for the day, ask first).  Also, range days are set by who volunteers to work them as RO's.  If I were to say I'll RO on a Saturday, then the range would be open on that Saturday, etc.

BTW, if you're all going to be in the area on Sunday, I invite you to come and check out the range at "7 mile".  We'll be doing some repair work that day, so probably no shooitng, but you'll still get the chance to check teh place out and see if it's right for you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the invite Bumpalot: I don't know about this Sunday, I'm putting in an invisible fence for the dog. Can you give me some info on what most ROs would be comfortable with as far as hanging or swinging targets might go? I have virtually any size and thickness of steel plate available to me along with flame cutting capabilities as long as I am nice to the manufacturing guys. If it is scrap I can have it for free, if I need to use new material that we have adequate stock on I just need to pay our cost which is probably about 50 cents a pound right now, this is PVQ steel, not commercial grade.

I want something that will react well when hit with an XM-193 round, but not be penetrated. I was thinking of 3/8" about 6" diameter discs. These would be free to swing on a pipe frame supported by two uprights welded to an 8" diameter by 2" thick discs. What do you think would be a good height as measured from the ground?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#23]
MisterPX
I am definitely interested in checking out 7 Mile some time. I am not able to get a shooting break this weekend but would love to check the place out before the leaves turn.

I understand that it is private and member referred only. A certain amount of volunteer time is required to make the grade.

All those things sound like they make for a great place to shoot.

JR
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Are we talking about two different ranges between & mile + WSC? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm heading out there again this sunday with my mom. Converting yet another family member to EBR disease.

Hey Drobs, thanks man. I've actually got my CETME coming in tues/wed, but that's mighty fine of you to offer up a testrun on your gun. I'd be much obliged. I'm a No-Go on .308 (Next paycheck..) but I'll be more then happy to reimburse ya' for the ammo. :)

I'll be the 6'10" guy with the M4gery and 10/22. Might bring my 870 out for fun. Dunno yet.

Definitely bringing clays though. Shotgun or not, they're fun to shoot at! :D
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Andy, "7 mile" and WSC are indeed two different ranges.  7 mile being about 10 miles further than WSC.  As to the targets, your setup sounds fine.  The big thing is who's doing the RO for the day.  We have RO's who won't let you shoot anything but paper, and we have RO's who'll let you shoot hanging steel.  Heck, some even bring steel for the shooters to use ( gawd damned AP ammo usin mofo's that tore up my steel).  As long as it's hanging, it'll be good to go, depending, once again on who's RO'ing.  Like I said before, ask first.   I'm not sure what PVQ steel is, but mild steel 3/8 won't hold up too well to 556 at 100 yards.  I usaully pick up scrap sections at least 1/8 inch thicjk, and while they do get ventilated easily, they still dance around.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]
See you all in the morning, bright and early. :)

I hate packing for a range trip...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#28]
MisterPX: PVQ is pressure vessel quality or ASME SA516-G70. Good stuff, but probably not much more bullet resistant than commercial quality (generic cold rolled 1020 IIRC) steel. I'll see what we have in abundance. I know we have some commercial quality .160  material that we no longer use that I can probaly have for free.

Can you give me some more background on 7 mile? Days it is open, fees, membership' rules and so on. Is it single shot like Bristol or more like WSC where you can load a mag, but no rapid fire? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Frown. Went out there today, 45min trip, and they were closed for some "Picnic" thing or something.

I left. Went mingolfing on the way home. :(

RO says open again next sunday + this wednesday with no problems though.

Poo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Andy, "7 mile"  AKA RCLRC is a members only type range.  You get a key, and you use it whenever you want.  Firing is what you desire: want to empty a mag, go for it, bumpfire (only at 25M), go for it, wanna shoot 600 yards, go for it.  You have to be sponsored by a member to get in, annual dues are $50, and there's an initiation/key/dues fee, about $160 this time of year (prorated for annual dues).  You also have to put in 100 hours of volunteer work during the first 3 years (this can be anything from range cleanup to repair to working the annual deersight in).

IM me with any questions you may have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top