Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:01 AM EDT
HEY WHO IS BUILDING AK IN OUR STATE? I HEAR OF A COMPANY IN OR AROUND CHICAGOLAND, I THANK IT START WITH A  (K).   IF NOT  ANY ONE WANT TO HAVE AK BUILDING PARTY?    I AND A FRIEND WANT TO BUILD THREE KIT UP...

THIS IS TANKERFRANK...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
not familiar with it.

Caps Lock / off
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Try this:

www.krebscustom.com/index.html

Veronica at M and A Parts
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested in a build party... I have a couple of kits and no tools..   here
Hey TankerFrank... slowly reach over to the left side of your keyboard and gently tap the Caps Lock Key one time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I wouldn't mind gettinga  few flats if someoen knew how to weld in the rails and could help me/teach me...  never hurts to know a skill like that!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
ME and my friend have our recivcer,  we just need the dril press, bits and what ever other tool for the ak47 underfolder.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try this:

www.krebscustom.com/index.html

Veronica hr

yea i called them, they want $650.00 to bulid it,
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If nothing else call Mosher Gun Shop in Dekalb (www.moshergunshop.com)  and ask for Brandon.  He is there gunsmith and had done several AK buildups.  He will charge a a lot less than $650 to do a buildup.

He just finished up an underfolder the other week, so he knows how to do them. (I got to "inspect" it and the folder was nice and tight with no rattle whatsoever!)  I believe he was starting a Krink buildup or two this week for some guys (with the fake supressors pinned on).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would be interested in a build party... I have a couple of kits and no tools..  

Surely there must be a couple of guys that have bent their own receivers. I am in the NW burbs of Chicago if we can't get a build party going, I will plan on finishing my own in early 2006.  Right now, I am working on a new AR build

Hey TankerFrank... slowly reach over to the left side of your keyboard and gently tap the Caps Lock Key one time.

I don't have a kit but I'd love to hang out and watch!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a kit and a reciver - if you FIB's have a build party let us Cheeseheads know.

I can think of a few more people that would be interested.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'd like to host a build part at my shop. I'm in the northwest suburbs too.  I'm busy with a rebuild of part of the facility right now, but I may be able to sqeeze something in. Now everyone kn ows that you have to do the work yourself when you build a reciever, I do not have a class III or anything like that so let's all be sure to keep on the right side of things.

Maybe I could trade parts for the use of my equipment and such?

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]
that sound good too me. maybe a $20.00 donation for you. BUT do you have all the tools and know how to help us build a polish ak?  if so  great!  frank
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I was not thinking cash, I prefer barter or trade, as this is not a profit venture.

As to tools, I'm not sure, I've never built an AK before. But I do have machine / welding shop. And some sheet metal equipment.

What tools are needed? I there some kind of a fixture for bending blanks?

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
REviewing the previous posts, I see that the interest is in assembling from parts, not bending blanks. That is fine and sounds fun. Is there a resource for specs and such?

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I've built one and in the process of couple more.  You need to determine if you are doing a screw build or rivet build.  Some say screw builds are easier but I like rivets.

If you are building on a 100% receiver your life is now that much easier.  I recommend Global Trade/Armory USA (Houston, TX) 1mm receiver.  Another one is Joeken's.  Most people here prefer the Global Trade/Armory USA one.

Need to get your dealer or whoever to send their ink copy to GT.
www.globaltrades.com.  Get the appropriate receiver (type 2) for your caliber.  I recommend you have them park it for $8.  Shipping is $12.  Receiver $60.  They give you the option of them installing a new trigger guard with selector stop for extra $22.  This process takes time.  

I would check out pookie's site and will answer many many questions.  I learned a lot from him and how to find cheap methods.  Cheap methods mean more work, lot slower but that's half the fun.  For a build party you should have 20 hydraulic press, barrel press jig, rivet jig or boltcutter riveter, drill press,.....  Only way to make it practical for all parties to get a shot at use.  
www.pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129

Next you need to demill your kit.  If you have a Romy then you got some work ahead of you.  You need to get the old cut receiver off from the trunnion and rear tang (rear trunnion).  This will require a dremel or grinder.  I grind the rivet heads flush with the receiver.  I get a cobalt drill bit a little larger than the rivet and contersink it.  Do not go to deep.  I than get pliers and try to spread the old receiver apart while at the same time try to knock out the trunnion.  Do the same to the back one.  Now you got to do the same trigger guard.  I messed up and cut up the selector stop.  Good idea to buy an extra one.  If you have a Polish underfolder should be all done.  A Bugy a little work.  

I going to assume you are going to do a rivet build.  Now you need to remove the barrel pin.  On the Romys they are known to be mega tough.  Most people use a press and jig.  I use a 1/4 punch that I tapered slightly.  Using a 2x4 I drill out a hole so that the pin can pop out.  Use penetrating oil for many days or weeks.  Move the rear sight into the up position and lay on wood and pound the crap out of it.  More elegant ways but this is how I do it.  

Once the pin is out it's time to remove barrel.  I use my cheap vise and use some aluminum angle to hold it.  Place 3 pennies and pound with big hammer and my huge punch.  Before the barrel comes out make witness marks so that it's easy to line up.

Now remove old rivets in the front and rear trunnion.  Front ones you can punch out or carefully drill out.  Rear ones will probally require drilling part of the rivets 3/4 of the way and then punch out.

I would now install the trigger guard and selector stop.  I had GT install mine so I don't have any advice.  I will let you know on my future builds when I do this.

Next you need to drill holes on the receiver to mate up with the trunnion.  Drill with smallest bit and move up carefully checking and checking.  

Once you have all the holes drilled time to rivet.  I made a bolt cutter riveter.  On the Global receivers they are completely hardened and you will not be able to make counter sink holes by hammering them.  You will need to counter sink the holes with a drill.  Just barely.  See K-var's site for which holes need countersinking.  I squeeze a little at a time.  Sometimes the rivets can move on you so if you go slowly you can adjust.  Nothing worse than having a rivet stick out after it gets squished.  Once it's like that it's not moving.

Install barrel using hydraulic press or I-bar method.  Install barrel pin.  Check with go/ no go guage.  I didn't but I wouldn't recommend it.  When I test fired for the 1st time I said a prayer.

Paint or leave it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
thank you Lakemoor  it sound like your are man with the know how.   would you like to host the party,  i would help you with stuff.  frank
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
We are in the midst of trying to sell our house and I have a 7 month prego wifey.  I could come and help but I am by no means an expert.  There were some guys that hosted an IL build party in Joilet a while back.  You might get some interest if you ask in the Build it Forum of the AK section or at gunco.net.

I have a drill press, bolt cutter riveter, dremel (lost my grinder), airbrush for finishing, BFH and other small tools.  I think you need to find people with a hydraulic 12-20 ton press with the appropriate jigs to make a build party practical.  I am a stay at home dad and have lots of time to putz around and do things slowly without the right tools.

If you want to do a build party you guys need to get your receivers and appropriate US made parts.   You could probally knock out a build in a day with the right tools not including paint finish.  I think the hardest stumbling block is the barrel pin.  This is a potential show stopper.  Try to use pentetrating oil and let it soak for couple weeks.  Kroil is the best from what I read.  Can get it at Brownell's.  I use Liquid Wrench which you can get at any store.  

Good Luck.  Set a date 1 or 2 months down and go with it.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]
thank you Lakemoor

i am in joliet too,,  but i could not found the build party at gunco.net
hey Lakemoor  maybe you can find it and post a link to it for me   thank you frank.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried searching on gunco.net and gunsnet.net.  No dice.  You should try asking at the build it forum here.  I come to the hometown just once in a while.  More since I made a comment.  Lots of people trying their luck with kits because of the upcoming barrel ban.

Most important thing is to get a kit now and work on the other pieces.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#19]
What barrel ban? ?

Lakemore?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
No new ban, just the ATF enforcing more strongly replacement part kits (imports.. AK, FAL, Galil, Sten....).  I guess too many people were making guns out of the kits instead of using as replacement parts.  ATF will allow current kits that were approved to come in until I think Sept.  Kind of old news.  You can check in the AK forum if you back far enough.

That is why there has been a mad dash to buy kits.  Lots of the real desirable kits are all gone or getting thin.  Still lots out there.  If you ever wanted to build a kit whether FAL, AK ..... buy one now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top