Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2005 8:58:27 AM EDT
i am starting to put together my 1st AR.  i recently purchased a "pre-ban" bushmaster upper with a 16" barrel.  i need advice as to what "ban" lower i can purchase and with what butt stock.  can i keep my complete AR in my apartment in chicago?  or do i have to rent a storage locker of some sort outside of the city?  

thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
With the AWB expiration and no AWB in IL, I think you can put any combo together you want; however,  your issue is being in the City of Chicago where AFAIK assault weapons are banned.

See the following link www.chicityclerk.com/legislation/codes/chapter8_24.html#025

..."(a) No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or assault ammunition, as those terms are defined in Chapter 8-20 of this code."...

(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or assault ammunition prohibited by this section shall have 14 days from the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:
 (1) To remove the assault weapon or ammunition from within the limits of the city of Chicago;
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
crap...so i guess i'm SOL in terms of keeping it in my apartment....

anyone know where i can rent a locker?
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Build it. Keep it at home.

Don't show it around. Don't post about it. Be discreet.

Daley and his minions can go to hell, and so can anyone that tries to come between me and my rights.

The sooner for them the better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with what Not so Clever says and would recommend you get a Gig Bag (padded electric guitare case) to use as a case. but I don't live in Chicago because of it's AW ban and handgun ban. Gun World in Bensenville has the best deal on lockers. I believe it's $75 to $100 for the year with no limit on the number of guns. Other shops you have to pay per gun per month. With my collection that would add up.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Daley and his minions can go to hell, and so can anyone that tries to come between me and my rights.

...and if you follow this line of reasoning be prepared to spend some time in the pokey if they catch you doing this.

Link Posted: 5/3/2005 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You are advocating that someone break the law. That is a violation of the General Guidelines of the Code of Conduct:

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

I don't like the Chicago-crats any more than you do but suggesting to someone else that they break the law is not the solution to the problem or an answer to the OP's question.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah...i wouldn't even think of breaking the law...as much as i disagree with it.  i just have to find alternative arrangements to store my guns elsewhere.  

i can apply for a FOID with a Chicago address?  i've heard of gun shops refusing to sell to people with FOIDs that have a Chicago address...is this true?

Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Shops will sell to you even though you live in Shitcago.

Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
geez...no need to be hurtful of us city slickers
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yeah...i wouldn't even think of breaking the law...as much as i disagree with it.  i just have to find alternative arrangements to store my guns elsewhere.  

i can apply for a FOID with a Chicago address? Yes. ISP actually handles FOID's. They issue them to anyone with a Chicago address that isn't disqualified, just like anyone else in the state.

i've heard of gun shops refusing to sell to people with FOIDs that have a Chicago address...is this true?Yep, some have, and do. You expect them to sell a handgun to a person who lives in an area they know they are illegal to possess?

IMO, if you choose to live in Chicago, then abide by the laws in place there. You might even consider running for public office there or lobbying your alderman or the Mayor to let them know you want their anti-gun ordinances repealed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Speaking of which why you moving there anyways?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Chillindrdude
I applied for and renewed my FOID three times while living on the North side. I needed to have one to be able to legally handle and posses firearms and ammunition in IL. I love to "handle" firearms and ammunition so that was a no brainier.

It is not against the law for someone with a Chicago address to purchase a handgun. It is unlawful to possess it within the city limits. Some sellers may give you flack others may not. I always explain to the seller that I am aware of that law and that my guns are stored elsewhere.

Your application for FOID in no way implies that you have an illegal firearm. The mayors C.A.G.E. unit, however may infer that you have one, if they are ever really let of their leash.

If you don't know, the C.A.G.E. unit is Ritchie's S.S. of politically motivated officers. They have not been very active but have made a couple busts related to washing the city database ( all long arms in Chicago have to be registered with the Dept of Revenue) against expired foids who are still at the same address and........... Whammo! Unintentional criminal.  

I no longer live within the city limits so I am not affected by this restriction. I have not considered moving back because I cant imagine leaving my guns behind but I guess people do it. Astronauts and such. That said, If I did move back there, I would definitely bring and register an 870 and a 94 Winchester so I would be armed an in full compliance with the law.

+1 on the gig bag from Guitar center. I like Bass cases for extra length and girth for optics.

There is no reason not to be armed.

JR
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

i'm gonna be a resident anesthesiologist at northwestern memorial.  i think i'm gonna rent a locker at gunworld.  i'll have my upper with me but won't buy the lower until i get my FOID...whenever that is...hinking.gif
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey ... don't forget that Cook County has an AWB, too. I never could find out what weapons are on the list. It's probably a close copy of the CA ban. I went to the local county sheriff's office a couple of years ago to ask about the list of banned weapons and the first thing the secretary asked me for was my name and address. Needless to say, I left without the list!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys, here's a copy of Chicago's AWB and Handgun ban statute. Enjoy.

Edit: Please notice that the violation for this statute is a FINE of $300... But the Chicago PD will NOT charge you under this statute. They will charge you with "Unlawful use of a weapon" instead. Watch for it.

ARTICLE II. REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS

8-20-030 Definitions.
As used in this Title 8:
(a)     "Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets, propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.
(b)     "Antique firearms" means any firearm, including, but not limited to, any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system, which is incapable of being fired or discharged; or any firearm manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value.
(c)     "Corrections officer" means wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense.
(d)     "Crime of violence" is defined as any felony committed while armed with a weapon as defined in Chapter 38, Section 33 A-1 of Illinois Revised Statutes, as amended.
(e)     "Duty-related firearm" shall mean any weapon which is authorized by any law enforcement agency to be utilized by their personnel in the performance of their official duties.
(f)     "Firearm" means any weapon which will, or is designed to or restored to, expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of any explosive; the frame or receiver of any such device; or any firearm muffler or silencer. Provided, that such term shall not include:
(1)     antique firearm;
(2)     any device used exclusively for line-throwing, signaling, or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or Interstate Commerce Commission; or
(3)     any device used exclusively for firing explosives, rivets, stud cartridges, or any similar industrial ammunition incapable of use as a weapon.
(g)     "Fragmenting bullet" means a bullet that is designed or modified to shatter on impact, or any other bullet that is designed or modified so that more than 50 percent of the mass of the bullet is likely to fragment inside a human or animal target.
(h)     "Assault weapon" means any of the following weapons:
(1)     Assault Rifles
TABLE INSET:

AK 47 type  
86S type

AK 47S type  
86S7 type  

AK 74 type  
87S type  

AKS type  
Galil type  

AKM type  
Type 56 type  

AKMS type  
Type 565 type  

84S1 type  
Valmet M76 type  

Arm type  
Valmet M78 type  

84S1 type  
M76 counter sniper type  

84S3 type  
FAL type  

HK91 type  
L1A1A type  

HK93 type  
SAR 48 type  

HK94 type  
AUG type  

G3SA type  
FNC type  

K1 type  
Uzi carbine  

K2 type  
Algimec AGMI type  

AR100 type  
AR180 type  

M24S type  
MAS 223 type  

SIG 550SP type  
Beretta BM59 type  

SIG 551SP type  
Beretta AR70 type  

Australian Automatic Arms  
CIS SR88 type  

SAR type  

SKS type with detachable magazine  

Colt AR-15  

Springfield Armory SAR-48  

Springfield Armory BM-59  

Bushmaster Auto Rifle  

Auto-Ordinance Thompson M1  

Ruger Mini 14/5F  

Federal XC-900 and XC-450  

Feather AT-9 Auto Carbine  

Goncz High Tech Carbine  

Auto-Ordinance Thompson 1927A1  

Iver Johnson PM30 P Paratrooper  

(2)     Assault Pistols
Uzi type
Heckler & Koch Sp-89 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAP type
Spectre Auto type
Sterling Mark 7 type; and
(3)     Any weapon that the superintendent of police defines by regulation as an assault weapon because the design or operation of such weapon is inappropriate for lawful use.
(i)     "Assault ammunition" means any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than twelve (12) rounds of ammunition.
(j)     "Disc projectile ammunition" means any ammunition which is composed of multiple disc shaped objects stacked together to form a single round of ammunition, including but not limited to the following types of ammunition: (i) Magdisc type; and (ii) Shatterdisc type.
(k)     "Handgun" means a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such firearm can be assembled.
(l)     "Machine gun" means any firearm from which eight or more shots or bullets may be discharged by a single function of the firing device.
(m)     "Mayor" means the mayor of the City of Chicago or his or her designee.
(n)     "Metal piercing bullet" means any bullet that is manufactured with other than a lead or lead alloy core, or ammunition of which the bullet itself is wholly composed of, or machined from, a metal or metal alloy other than lead, or any other bullet that is manufactured to defeat or penetrate bullet resistant properties of soft body armor or any other type of bullet resistant clothing which meets the minimum requirements of the current National Institute for Justice Standards for "Ballistic Resistance of Police Body Armor".
(o)     "Organization" means partnership, company, corporation or other business entity, or any group or association of two or more persons united for a common purpose.
(p)     "Peace officer" means any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or make arrests for offenses, whether that duty extends to all offenses or is limited to specific offenses.
(q)     "Person" shall mean any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, joint stock company or organization of any kind.
(r)     "Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length or a firearm made from a shotgun if such firearm is modified and has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel of less than 18 inches in length.
(s)     "Security personnel" means special agents employed by a railroad or public utility to perform police functions: guards of armored car companies, watchmen, security guards and persons regularly employed in a commercial or industrial operation for the protection of persons employed by or property related to such commercial or industrial operation.
(t)     "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having any barrel less than 16 inches in length, or a modified firearm if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or any barrel of less than 16 inches.
(u)     "Superintendent" means the superintendent of the Chicago Police Department or his designated representative.
(v)     "Safety mechanism" means a design adaption or nondetachable accessory that lessens the likelihood of unanticipated use of the handgun by other than the owner of the handgun and those specifically authorized by the owner to use the handgun.
(w)     "Trigger lock" means a device that when locked in place by means of a key, prevents a potential user from pulling the trigger of the handgun without first removing the trigger lock by use of the trigger lock's key.
(x)     "Combination handle lock" means a device that is part of the handgun which precludes the use of the handgun unless the combination tumblers are properly aligned.
(y)     "Solenoid use-limitation device" means a device which precludes, by use of solenoid, the firing of the handgun unless a magnet of the appropriate strength is placed in proximity to the handle of the weapon.
(z)     "Load indicator" means a device which plainly indicates that a bullet is placed in the handgun in a way that pulling the trigger or otherwise handling the handgun may result in detonation.
(aa)     "Laser sight accessory" means a laser sighting device which is either integrated into a firearm or capable of being attached to a firearm.
(Prior code § 11.1-1; Amend Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196; Amend Coun. J. 2-8-95, p. 65436; Amend Coun. J. 8-2-95, p. 5626; Amend Coun. J. 2-7-97, p. 38731; Amend Coun. J. 3-10-99, p. 91068)

8-20-040 Registration of firearms.
(a)     All firearms in the City of Chicago shall be registered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. It shall be the duty of a person owning or possessing a firearm to cause such firearm to be registered. No person shall within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm unless such person is the holder of a valid registration certificate for such firearm. No person shall, within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm which is unregisterable under the provisions of this chapter.
(b)     This section shall not apply to:
(1)     Firearms owned or under the direct control or custody of any federal, state or local governmental authority maintained in the course of its official duties;
(2)     Duty-related firearms owned and possessed by peace officers who are not residents of the City of Chicago;
(3)     Duty-related firearms owned or possessed by corrections officers; provided, that such corrections officers are not residents of the City of Chicago;
(4)     Firearms owned, manufactured or processed by licensed manufacturers of firearms, bulk transporters or licensed sellers of firearms at wholesale or retail, provided that such persons have, in addition to any other license required by law, a valid deadly weapons dealer license issued under Chapter 4-144 of this Code;
(5)     Any nonresident of the City of Chicago participating in any lawful recreational firearm-related activity in the city, or on his way to or from such activity in another jurisdiction; provided, that such weapon shall be unloaded and securely wrapped and that his possession or control of such firearm is lawful in the jurisdiction in which he resides;
(6)     Peace officers, while in the course of their official duties, who possess and control any firearm or ammunition issued by their department, bureau or agency in the normal course of business;
(7)     Private security personnel who possess or control any firearm or ammunition within the City of Chicago; provided, that such firearms shall be owned and maintained by the security firm employing such personnel and shall be registered by the security firm in accordance with this chapter;
(8)     Those persons summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting the peace officer.
(Prior code § 11.1-2; Amend Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196)

8-20-050 Unregisterable firearms.
No registration certificate shall be issued for any of the following types of firearms:
(a)     Sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, or short-barreled rifle;
(b)     Firearms other than handguns, owned or possessed by any person in the City of Chicago prior to the effective date of this chapter which are not validly registered prior to the effective date of this chapter;
(c)     Handguns, except:
(1)     Those validly registered to a current owner in the City of Chicago prior to the effective date of this chapter, and which contain each of the following:
(i)     A safety mechanism to hinder the use of the handgun by unauthorized users. Such devices shall include, but shall not be limited to, trigger locks, combination handle locks, and solenoid use-limitation devices; and
(ii)     A load indicator device that provides reasonable warning to potential users such that even users unfamiliar with the weapon would be forewarned and would understand the nature of the warning;
(2)     Those owned by peace officers who are residents of the City of Chicago,
(3)     Those owned by security personnel,
(4)     Those owned by private detective agencies licensed under Chapter 111.2601, et seq., Illinois Revised Statutes;
(d)     Firearm muffler or silencer;
(e)     Assault weapons, as defined in Section 8-20-030, unless they are owned by a person who is entitled to own them under Section 8-24-025.
Any person who receives through inheritance any firearm validly registered pursuant to this chapter will be eligible to reregister such firearm within 60 days after obtaining possession or title, provided such person shall be qualified to do so in accordance with this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-3; Amend Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196; Amend Coun. J. 2-7-97, p. 38729)

8-20-060 Prerequisites to registration--Application for registration.
(a)     No registration certificate shall be issued to any person unless such person:
(1)     Shall possess a valid Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification Card in accordance with Chapter 38 Section 83-4 of the Illinois Revised Statutes as amended;
(2)     Has not been convicted of a crime of violence, as defined herein as weapons offense, or a violation of this chapter; and
(3)     Has not been convicted within the five years prior to the application of any:
(i)     Violation of any law relating to the use, possession or sale of any narcotic or dangerous drug, or
(ii)     Violation of Chapter 38 Section 12-2(a)(1) of the Illinois Revised Statutes, as amended, for aggravated assault or any similar provision of the law of any other jurisdiction; and
(4)     Has vision better than or equal to that required to obtain a valid driver's license under the standards established by the Illinois Vehicle Code Chapter 95-1/2, Section 506-4 Illinois Revised Statutes, as amended; and
(5)     Is not otherwise ineligible to possess a firearm under any federal, state or local law, statute or ordinance.
(b)     All applicants for a registration certificate under this chapter shall file with the superintendent on a form provided, a sworn application in writing. The application shall include the following:
(1)     Name, social security number, residential and business address and telephone number of the applicant;
(2)     The applicant's age, sex and citizenship;
(3)     The applicant's Illinois firearm owner's identification number;
(4)     The name of manufacturer, the caliber or gauge, the model, type and the serial number identification of the firearm to be registered;
(5)     The source from which the firearm was obtained;
(6)     Evidence that the applicant meets the criteria of Section 8-20-060(a) of this chapter;
(7)     Two photographs of the applicant taken within 30 days immediately prior to the date of filing the application equivalent to passport size showing the full face, head and shoulders of the applicant in a clear and distinguishing manner;
(8)     Such other information as the superintendent shall find reasonably necessary to effectuate the purpose of this chapter and to arrive at a fair determination whether the terms of this ordinance have been complied with.
(c)     The superintendent shall be the custodian of all applications for registration under this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-4)

8-20-070 Fingerprints.
When necessary to establish the identity of any applicant or registrant, such applicant or registrant shall be required to submit to fingerprinting in accordance with procedures and regulations prescribed by the superintendent.
(Prior code § 11.1-5)

8-20-080 Application fees.
(a)     A nonrefundable fee in the amount indicated in subsection (d) of this section shall accompany each initial registration.
(b)     A nonrefundable fee in the amount indicated in subsection (d) of this section shall accompany each reregistration application.
(c)     The registration fee shall not be applicable to (1) any duty-related handgun of a peace officer domiciled in the City of Chicago, or (2) to any duty-related handgun(s) owned by a resident of the City of Chicago who retired from the Chicago Police Department in good standing and without any disciplinary charges pending, and who is, or is eligible to become, an annuitant of the Policemen's Annuity and Benefit Fund of the City of Chicago, but only if the handgun(s) is registered in that person's name at the time of separation from active duty in the Chicago Police Department.
(d)     Registration fees for firearms shall be as follows:
1 firearm . . . $20.00
2--10 firearms . . . 25.00
More than ten firearms . . . 35.00
(Prior code § 11.1-6; Amend Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196; Amend Coun. J. 11-10-94, p. 59125; Amend Coun. J. 4-9-03, p. 106640, § 1)

8-20-090 Filing time.
(a)     A registration certificate shall be obtained prior to any person taking possession of a firearm from any source.
(b)     Any firearm currently registered must be reregistered pursuant to this chapter and in accordance with rules, regulations and procedures prescribed by the superintendent. An application to reregister such firearm shall be filed within 180 days from the effective date of this chapter; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers during their tenure of continuous active duty.
(Prior code § 11.1-7; Amend Coun. J. 2-4-85, p. 13404; Amend Coun. J. 3-25-86, p. 28873)

8-20-100 Investigations.
Upon receipt of an application for registration of a firearm, the superintendent of police shall investigate the information contained in said application to determine whether the application and firearm meet the requirements for registration under this chapter. Failure by the applicant or registrant to respond to investigation inquiries shall be sufficient grounds for denial or revocation.
(Prior code § 11.1-8)

8-20-110 Issuance of registration certificate.
(a)     Upon receipt of a properly executed application for a registration certificate and the report of the superintendent, the mayor, upon determining that the applicant has complied with the provisions of this chapter, shall authorize the issuance of the registration certificate. Each registration certificate shall be in triplicate and bear a unique registration certificate number and contain such other information as may be necessary to identify the applicant and the firearm registered. The original of the registration certificate shall be retained by the superintendent; the mayor and applicant shall each receive a copy.
(b)     The mayor shall approve or deny any application for a registration certificate within a 120-day period beginning on the date the superintendent receives the application unless good cause is shown. In the case of an application to reregister a firearm currently registered, the mayor shall have 365 days after receipt of such application to approve or deny such application unless good cause is shown.
(c)     Any application for registration or renewal shall be held in abeyance when there is a criminal proceeding for a crime of violence, or an offense involving a weapon, or a proceeding to revoke firearm registration pending against the applicant until such proceeding has terminated. In the case of a renewal of registration the then-current registration shall be deemed continuing until the termination of such proceedings.
(d)     Upon receipt of a registration certificate, each applicant shall examine the same to insure that the information thereon is correct. If the registration certificate is incorrect in any respect, the registrant thereon shall return it to the superintendent with a signed statement showing the nature of the error. The superintendent shall correct the error, if it occurred through administrative error.
In the event that the error resulted from incorrect information contained in the application, the applicant shall be required to file an amended application setting forth the correct information and a statement explaining the error in the original application. Each amended application shall be accompanied by a fee of $2.00.
(e)     Each registration certificate authorized to be issued by the mayor shall be accompanied by a statement setting forth the registrant's duties under this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-9)

8-20-120 Revocation--Denial.
A registration certificate shall be revoked or an application for registration or reregistration shall be denied by the mayor when she finds that:
(a)     Any of the criteria in Section 8-20-060(a) of this chapter are not currently met; or
(b)     The registered firearm is or has become an unregisterable firearm under the terms of Section 8-20-050 of this chapter; or
(c)     The information furnished to the superintendent on the application for registration certificate proves to be false; or
(d)     The applicant or registrant has violated any of the provisions of this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-10)

8-20-130 Procedures for denial or revocation.
(a)     If it is determined that an application for registration or reregistration should be denied or that a registration certificate should be revoked, the mayor shall notify the applicant or registrant in writing of the proposed denial or revocation, briefly stating the reason or reasons therefore.
(b)     The applicant or registrant, within ten days after receiving notice of the proposed denial or revocation, may file with the mayor a written request for a hearing before the mayor's license commission.
(c)     Within ten days of receipt of a request for hearing, the commission shall give notice of a hearing to be held not less than five days after service of the notice on the person requesting the hearing.
At the hearing, the applicant or registrant may submit further evidence in support of the application for initial registration or to continue to hold a registration certificate as the case may be.
The commission shall determine whether the denial or revocation was in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and shall report its finding to the mayor within 21 days after the public hearing has been completed.
Upon a review of the commission's findings and a determination that the application should be denied or certificate revoked, the mayor shall issue a written finding stating the reasons for denial or revocation thereof and shall serve a copy of said findings upon the applicant or registrant and all parties appearing or represented at the hearing.
(d)     If the applicant or registrant does not request a hearing or submit further evidence within ten days after receiving notification of the proposed denial or revocation, it shall be deemed that the applicant or registrant has conceded the validity of the reason or reasons stated in the notice and the denial or revocation shall become final.
(e)     Within three days after notification of a decision unfavorable to the applicant or registrant and all time for appeal in accordance with paragraph 8-20-130(a) through (d) having expired, the applicant or registrant shall:
(1)     Peaceably surrender to the Chicago Police Department the firearm for which the applicant was denied or the registration certificate was revoked; or
(2)     Remove such firearm from the City of Chicago; or
(3)     Otherwise lawfully dispose of his interest in such firearm.
(f)     The applicant or registrant shall submit to the superintendent evidence of the disposition of nonregisterable firearms in accordance with paragraph 8-20-130(e)(2) and (3). Such evidence shall be submitted on forms and in the manner prescribed by the superintendent.
(Prior code § 11.1-11)

8-20-140 Additional duties of registrant.
Each person holding a registration certificate shall:
(a)     Immediately notify the Chicago Police Department on a form prescribed by the superintendent of:
(1)     The loss, theft or destruction of the registration certificate or of a registered firearm immediately upon discovery of such loss, theft, or destruction;
(2)     A change in any of the information appearing on the registration certificate;
(3)     The sale, transfer or other disposition of the firearm not less than 48 hours prior to delivery.
(b)     Immediately return to the superintendent his copy of the registration certificate for any firearm which is lost, stolen, destroyed or otherwise disposed of.
(c)     Each registrant shall keep any firearm in his possession unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock or similar device, unless such firearm is in his possession at his place of residence or business or while being used for lawful recreational purposes within the City of Chicago; provided, this paragraph shall not apply to law enforcement personnel as defined in paragraph 8-20-030(k) and provided further this paragraph shall not apply to security personnel as defined in paragraph 8-20-030(n), while in the course of their employment.
(Prior code § 11.1-12)

8-20-150 Exhibition of registration.
Any person carrying or having in his possession or under his custody or control any firearm, shall have on his person or within his immediate custody a valid registration certificate for such firearm issued hereunder, which shall be exhibited for inspection to any peace officer upon demand. Failure of any such person to so exhibit his registration certificate shall be presumptive evidence that he is not authorized to possess such firearm.
Failure of any person to exhibit a registration certificate for any firearm in his possession, custody or control shall also be cause for the confiscation of such firearms and revocation of any registration certificates issued therefore under this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-13)

8-20-160 Possession of ammunition.
No person shall possess ammunition in the City of Chicago unless:
(a)     He is a person exempted pursuant to Section 8-20-040 of this chapter; or
(b)     He is the holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition possessed, and has the registration certificate in his possession while in possession of the ammunition; or
(c)     He is a licensed weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 4-144 or a licensed shooting gallery or gun club pursuant to Chapter 4-149 of this Code.
(Prior code § 11.1-14; Amend Coun. J. 9-14-94, p. 56287)

8-20-165 Possession of laser sight accessories.
No person shall sell, offer, or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any laser sight accessory in the City of Chicago provided, that this section shall not apply to any members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers as defined in this Code to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess a laser sight accessory and is acting within the scope of his or her duties.
(Amend Coun. J. 3-10-99, p. 91068)

8-20-170 Permissible sales and transfers of firearms and ammunition.
(a)     No firearm may be sold or otherwise transferred within the City of Chicago except through a licensed weapons dealer as defined in Chapter 4-144 of the Municipal Code of the City of Chicago.
(b)     No ammunition may be sold or otherwise transferred within the City of Chicago except through a licensed shooting gallery or gun club as defined in Chapter 4-149, a licensed weapons dealer as defined in Chapter 4-144 or as otherwise allowed by the Municipal Code of the City of Chicago.
(c)     No firearm or ammunition shall be security for, or be taken or received by way of any mortgage, deposit, pledge or pawn.
(d)     No person may loan, borrow, give or rent to or from another person, any firearm or ammunition except in accordance with this chapter.
(e)     A peace officer may additionally sell or transfer any lawfully held firearm or ammunition to another peace officer in accordance with the other provisions of this chapter.
(f)     Except as allowed by subsection (e) of this section, no person may sell, offer for sale, barter or transfer within the city any ammunition listed in Section 4-144-061 of this Code.
(Prior code § 11.1-15; Amend Coun. J. 9-14-94, p. 56287)

8-20-175 Firearm Owners Identification Card Act--Compliance required.
No person shall sell, give away or otherwise transfer any firearm, as defined in Section 8-20-030, without complying with Sections 3 and 3.1 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act, Illinois Revised Statutes, Chapter 38, paragraphs 83-3 and 83-3.1.
(Added Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196)

8-20-180 False information--Forgery--Alteration.
(a)     It shall be unlawful for any person purchasing any firearm or ammunition, or applying for any registration certificate under this chapter, or, in giving any information pursuant to the requirements of this chapter, to knowingly give false information or offer false evidence of identity.
(b)     It shall be unlawful for anyone to forge or alter any application or registration certificate submitted, retained or issued under this chapter.
(Prior code § 11.1-16)

8-20-190 Voluntary surrender--Immunity.
(a)     Within 90 days from the effective date of this ordinance, a person within the City of Chicago may voluntarily and peaceably deliver and abandon to the superintendent any firearm or ammunition prior to any arrest and prosecution of such person on a charge of violating any provisions of this chapter with respect to the firearm or ammunition voluntarily delivered.
(b)     Delivery under this section may be made at any police district, area or central headquarters or by summoning a police officer to the person's residence or place of business. Any firearm or ammunition to be delivered and abandoned to the superintendent under this section shall be unloaded and securely wrapped in a package carried in open view.
(c)     The voluntary delivery or abandonment of any firearm or ammunition after an arrest or charge for violation of any provision of this chapter shall not moot or in any manner invalidate said arrest or charge.
(Prior code § 11.1-17)

8-20-195 Voluntary surrender of laser sight accessory--Immunity.
(a)     Within 14 days of the effective date of this ordinance, a person within the City of Chicago may voluntarily and peaceably deliver and abandon to the superintendent any laser sight accessory prior to any arrest and prosecution of such person on a charge of violating any provision of this chapter with respect to the laser sight accessory voluntarily delivered.
(b)     Delivery under this section may be made at any police district, area or central headquarters or by summoning a police officer to the person's residence or place of business.
(c)     The voluntary delivery or abandonment of any laser sight accessory after an arrest or charge for violation of any provision of this chapter shall not moot or in any manner invalidate said arrest or charge.
(Amend Coun. J. 3-10-99, p. 91068)

8-20-200 Renewal of registration.
(a)     Every registrant must renew his registration certificate annually. Applications for renewal shall be made by such registrants 60 days prior to the expiration of the current registration certificate.
(b)     The application for renewal shall include the payment of a renewal fee as follows:
1 firearm . . . $20.00
2--10 firearms . . . 25.00
More than ten firearms . . . 35.00
(c)     Failure to comply with the requirement for renewal of registration of a firearm shall cause that firearm to become unregisterable.
(d)     All terms, conditions and requirements of this chapter for registration of firearms shall be applicable to renewal or registration of such firearms.
(e)     The renewal fee shall not be applicable to duty-related handguns of peace officers domiciled in the City of Chicago.
(Prior code § 11.1-18; Amend Coun. J. 7-7-92, p. 19196; Amend Coun. J. 11-10-94, p. 59125)

8-20-210 Notice.
For the purposes of this chapter, service of any notice, finding or decision upon an applicant or registrant shall be completed by any of the following methods:
(1)     Personal delivery of a copy of such notice, finding or decision to the applicant or registrant; or
(2)     By leaving a copy of such notice, finding or decision at the address identified on the application for registration or renewal; or
(3)     By mailing a copy of the notice, finding or decision by certified mail with return receipt to the address identified on the application for registration or renewal; in which case service shall be complete as of the date the return receipt was signed.
(Prior code § 11.1-19)

8-20-220 Destruction of weapons confiscated.
Whenever any firearm or ammunition is surrendered or confiscated pursuant to the terms of this chapter, the superintendent shall ascertain whether such firearm or ammunition is needed as evidence in any matter.
If such firearm or ammunition is not required for evidence it shall be destroyed at the direction of the superintendent. A record of the date and method of destruction and an inventory of the firearm or ammunition so destroyed shall be maintained.
(Prior code § 11.1-20)

8-20-230 Authority of the superintendent.
The superintendent shall have the authority to promulgate rules and regulations for the implementation of this chapter and to prescribe all forms and the information required thereon.
(Prior code § 11.1-21)

8-20-240 Acquisition or possession prohibited by law.
Nothing in this chapter shall make lawful the acquisition or possession of firearms or firearm ammunition which is otherwise prohibited by law.
(Prior code § 11.1-22)

8-20-241 Firearm used illegally--Penalty.
The owner of an unregistered firearm that is used in any criminal act shall be subject to a fine of $500.00 for each such use, regardless of whether the owner participated in, aided or abetted the criminal act. A fine under this section shall be in addition to any other penalty imposed on the criminal act or use of the firearm.
(Added Coun. J. 11-10-94, p. 59125)

8-20-250 Violation--Penalty.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter, where no other penalty is specifically provided, shall upon conviction for the first time, be fined not less than $300.00, nor more than $500.00; or be incarcerated for not less than ten days nor more than 90 days or both. Any subsequent conviction for a violation of this chapter shall be punishable by a fine of $500.00 and by incarceration for a term of not less than 90 days, nor more than six months.
(Prior code § 11.1-23; Amend Coun. J. 11-10-94, p. 59125)

8-20-260 Severability.
If any provision or term of this chapter, or any application thereof, is held invalid, the invalidity shall not affect other applications of the provisions or terms of this chapter which reasonably can be given effect without the invalid provision or term for the application thereof.
(Prior code § 11.1-24)
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#16]
"COLT AR-15" "Bushmaster AR"

i shoulda gotten a Springfield M1A hinking.gif
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#17]
G-damn, they don't even let you have laser sights? That's is absurd to the nth degree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#18]
My old FOID card.

Cost $5.

I moved to WI. No FOID for me!!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I should have mentioned, one of the 4 pro-gun bills in the IL legislature would remove Chicago's ability to regulate guns in this fashion so--poof no more handgun bans, laser sights, etc.

As a side note, Springfield's .308 SOCOM is not on that list... So yea, technically you could have one if you could convice CPD to give you the registration forms for it. Remember, registration isn't "shall issue" either, they have discretion over that as well.

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#20]
And people giveme shit for volunteering to come to ND. Clearly they have no clue what gun owners in Illinois have to go through. I'll never regret the day i left Illinois.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll attempt not to delve into politics as I explain the current situation in IL, pleas forgive me if I offend anyone, I am not attmpting to do so. These are the facts:

1. There are about 4 pro gun bills that have passed through a rules committee.

-1 is a CCW bill, there are 2 versions of it, one that requires State police to issue licenses, one that requires Sheriff's departments to issue it. (The one that requires the State police is supported by 5 DEMOCRATS--I support this bill version as well because the last thing I want to do is apply to the Cook County Sheriff's department for a license...)

-1 is a "preemption" bill, IL has "home rule" which allows cities to independently regulate certain things, such as guns, in addition (and sometimes contrary to) State law. This is how Chicago has an AWB and registration while IL does not. Most States do NOT have a home rule doctrine. This preemption would remove a City's ability to regulate firearms

- Self Defense Bill, proposed in the wake of Hale Demar's unfortunate run in with a burglary... He shot a burglar with a .38 S&W after his house had been robbed twice. Self defense was justified. Hale was arrested for possession of a handgun--Wilmette has a handgun ban as well. Under this bill, a person who engages in lawful self defense, but violates a city statute would be immune from prosecution

These are the big 3 I'm concerned with.

2. There are about 3 anti-gun bills in the Legislature

-Ban on .50 rifles. (passed rules committee by 1 vote last week I believe...)
-Mandatory Background checks at all gun show sales
-Ban on many semi-auto shotguns and rifles

3. The politics. Elections are coming up relatively quickly and Blago (the governor, Daley's puppet) doesn't want to lose support of Southern IL democrats. Notice how the CCW bill is SUPPORTED by democrats. Daley has public chastised Blago for not openly opposing the CCW bill. Blago responds, if that's your issue, then your lobbyists aren't doing a good job.

Bottom line: With elections coming up Blago can't afford to lose votes of Southern IL democrats. If he supports the bill, he loses Cook County. If he doesn't, he loses all of Southern IL dems. Either way, if it splits the vote and a Republican is elected, then the bill passes...

Daley keeps proposing anti-gun bills, such as 1 gun per month purchasing, but these have all been shot down. (Pun intended)

It basically amounts to Daley vs. Southern IL Dems and Republicans. It's quickly starting to look like Blago will have to side with Southern IL if he wants to be reelected.

Don't hold your breath tho.

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#22]
i pray that the preemption bill passes
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My old FOID card.

Cost $5.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24528

Av.

Pretty cool!
Illinois gives gun owners their own special ID card!
Say, weren't German Jews in some kind of a club too?

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
You wouldn't be the first person to compare Mayor Daley's gun control policies to Nazi Germany.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
They even added to the definition of "Antique" so it is different than the GCA of 68.

"or any firearm manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value."

So much for my 1895 receiverd M39.

I'll call reps instead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#26]
If the "hired truck" corruption investigation can make some progress, the Mayor might be able to spend some time in a place where guns are not allowed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I have been unable to find the Cook County AW ban online, I believe that list above is for Chicago.

However I have seen the list and it is the same. But it specifically lists the Colt AR15 whereas other guns are listed by type. For instance "AKMS type" bans all AK47's. But "Colt AR15" does not ban Bushmaster XM15-E2S.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#28]
An unjust law is no law at all.  Draw your own conclusions from that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Very easy for you to say.  How far away from Chicago is Georgia?

Unjust or not, you can still be arrested.  Why don't you bring your AR up here and see how well that argument goes over with a couple Chicago cops?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My old FOID card.

Cost $5.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24528

Av.

Pretty cool!
Illinois gives gun owners their own special ID card!
Say, weren't German Jews in some kind of a club too?

mywebpage.netscape.com/gerhardmas2/star.gif

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm gonna be a resident anesthesiologist at northwestern memorial.  i think i'm gonna rent a locker at gunworld.  i'll have my upper with me but won't buy the lower until i get my FOID...whenever that is...

FOID-Firearm Owners Identification Card.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm gonna be a resident anesthesiologist at northwestern memorial.  i think i'm gonna rent a locker at gunworld.  i'll have my upper with me but won't buy the lower until i get my FOID...whenever that is...

I read chillindrude's thread wrong.  I thought it said, whatever it is.  My vision is weird sometimes.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#34]
i have been denied purchases of various nature due to my FOID having a Chicago Address even though ISP has me on thier records as a resident ELSEWHERE. i had to get a NEW FOID with a my NEW ADDRESS as opposed to my OLD FOID with my chicago address on it before i could purchase various items.

items include: handguns, ammunition of various calibers and types. ammunition is of course at "shops" close to chicago and handguns was actually further south in Burbonnais.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very easy for you to say.  How far away from Chicago is Georgia?

Unjust or not, you can still be arrested.  Why don't you bring your AR up here and see how well that argument goes over with a couple Chicago cops?

Yes, it is easy for me to say after having lived in Chicago for 26+ years and been a gun owner and shooter for 7 of those.  Just because Chicago allows "mob rule" and has a total lack of respect for the commanding legal document in this nation doesn't make them right.

I grant you that if you cross the powers that be and incur their wrath, you ought be aware of what it is that you are facing but having said that it doesn't how many laws they pass and how many crony judges they get elected to approve them in the courts.  The shit is still wrong.

BTW, I'm surprised that someone using a handle taken from an Ayn Rand novel would dispute the notion of non-compliance with a morally unjust law.  I suggest you go back and read The Fountainhead again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i have been denied purchases of various nature due to my FOID having a Chicago Address even though ISP has me on thier records as a resident ELSEWHERE. i had to get a NEW FOID with a my NEW ADDRESS as opposed to my OLD FOID with my chicago address on it before i could purchase various items.

items include: handguns, ammunition of various calibers and types. ammunition is of course at "shops" close to chicago and handguns was actually further south in Burbonnais.

IIRC, and I could be wrong. If you move to a new address, The FOLD card act requires you to apply for a new card with the new address.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, and I could be wrong. If you move to a new address, The FOLD card act requires you to apply for a new card with the new address.

That's DL only, with the FOID card you can change your address online and keep your old card till it expires.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
i called ISP 3 times to ask them this INSIDE THE STORE. they said that my OLD foid is OK and they won't send me a new one unless i "lost" my old one.

SoS office also said i don't need new DL unless i wanna pony up $5 for it. it was only a 30 minute wait in line so i went in a got a new DL.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#39]
how long did it take for your FOIDs?

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
how long did it take for your FOIDs?

They are allowed 30 days from when they receive the application to determine whether or not to issue the FOID. They seem to take a little longer to actually make the card up and mail it out. Average time's I've seen range from 4-6 weeks max. Haven't heard of any taking more than 6 weeks in a long time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FOID-Firearm Owners IDentification

Fixed that for ya
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#42]
the wait was up to 3 months awhile back there...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#43]

That's DL only, with the FOID card you can change your address online and keep your old card till it expires.

Actually you don't have to do that for the DL either. I checked it out on the Secretary of State website. If you go to the SOS website, it let's you change your address info right there. It says if you WANT to get an updated license, then you have to go to a DL Facility. My address has changed 3 times in the last 6 years, and I still have my original license. I've been tempted to put a sticker on the back with my "latest" address, a la Michigan, but it's pretty crowded on the back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Actually you don't have to do that for the DL either. I checked it out on the Secretary of State website. If you go to the SOS website, it let's you change your address info right there. It says if you WANT to get an updated license, then you have to go to a DL Facility. My address has changed 3 times in the last 6 years, and I still have my original license. I've been tempted to put a sticker on the back with my "latest" address, a la Michigan, but it's pretty crowded on the back.

Too bad all LE isn't aware of that.  A few years ago,  I had recently moved so my license didn't reflect my current address.  I got stopped and the officer was almost rude about it.  When he  returned my license,  he  had written  my new address on the back of the license.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top