Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2005 6:57:54 AM EDT
www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2567&GAID=8&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=18470&SessionID=50&GA=94#actions

When I saw this at work yesterday, I made so much noise I almost caused a scene!  I don't know how much of a chance it has, but we need to get behind it anyway.  It looks like a solid "shall issue" bill.

Call your state representative and senator, and turn on the heat!  Even if this is futile, I love it because it just *has* to piss off Da' Mayor and his cronies.  Take Illinois back from Chicago!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What?Can't be!!!
That's impossible.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That would make me so happy. I wouldn't have to move to another state after I finish college...
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]

That's cool.

I hope it goes through, even though it won't affect me for a little over 2 years.

C'mon Downstate Democrats! We need your help!

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
They introduce this very year.
This year in MIGHT have a slight chance because Blago will need to
shore up his downstate support, since his chgo allies are
talking about trying to remove him during the democratic primary
next time around.

A good sign, but blago would have to do a 180 in order for this to pass ...
or the Gen. Assem would have to over ride him... again.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of N. ILL Rino's that will vote against this.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
In the past, Blago has said "not while I'm Govenor" when asked about CCW.  Probably the only straight answer I ever heard from him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I will of course support it, but I really think that CCW in Illinois is a pipe dream for many years to come.  Maybe they would trade an AWB for CCW?(not that it's a good idea)
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope it happens. I won't be so inclined to move out of here if CCW is allowed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
HB2607 is another concealed carry bill that was introduced.

As CKM stated, they are introduced every year. They usually don't seem to make it past Rules.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It might get signed if you gave the governor enough money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It might get signed if you gave the governor mayor enough money.

Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The Senate's version (SB1500) has been introduced.

Edited to add: The Senate has intoduced another version (SB2101)
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya' beat me to it...

www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=1500&GAID=8&GA=94&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=19552&SessionID=50

Also, there's several different versions of the House bill out there due to the co-sponsorships.  I don't know which one is the main one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Don't need the Governer to sign it, just run it through twice.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Exactly.

I actually think we have more of a chance to pass this now than any time in recent history... witness the override of Blago's veto on the home defense bill.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#18]
can't wait for this to pass. one can hope...but if it does pass, i'd be one of the first to sign up for the class/whatever to get the CCW.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hearings have been set for both bills from both houses (four bills total) 3-8 in Springpatch.  I'm going to try and take a vacation day to drive down and be present!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Good Luck to you guys!  Being an ex-resident (1978-2000) I don't miss the gun laws and I hope things start turning around for the gun owners of Illinois.  Did George Ryan get convicted yet?hinking.gif
About the only thing I miss about Illinois is Portillos and my friends.  Buffalo Rock was pretty fun too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Mmmm... Portillo's!
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]
SB 1500  and 2101 and HB 2567 are scheduled for Committes on March 8th.

The AW and .50BMG bills go to committee on March 9th.

What do you say we flood the capitol with letters, calles, faxes and emails ?????????

CKMorley
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck on this one guys. The best chance we ever had for ccw was when Rep. Terry Deering ( Died in auto accident in 1997) and Rep. Larry Wennlund co sponsored it. He's now retired. Until we get the republican majority it's not gonna happen. And then with Tom Cross as Speaker it still may not happen. Need Lee Daniels back in the drivers seat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, both House CCW bills (HB2567, HB2607) are "do pass" out of Ag after today's hearing.

However, it looks like the Senate Judiciay committee sat on their two CCW bills (SB1500, SB2101) are still shown as assigned to Judicary after today's hearings.

I couldn't go due to work - does anybody know what happened?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Time for a full court press!  I just *love* to sicken foes!

From today's Chicago Tribune:

Gun bills OKd by House panel
Concealed-carry moves sicken foes

By Erika Slife and Ray Long
Tribune staff reporters
Published March 9, 2005

SPRINGFIELD -- Average citizens could carry concealed weapons under two bills that won overwhelming approval in a House committee Tuesday, setting up a rare, full-blown House floor fight over the issue that advocates say will make people safer and critics contend will lead to more gun violence.

The move further buttressed the National Rifle Association's strategy to not only blunt Mayor Richard Daley's push for gun-control laws but to take the fight to him with a frontal assault of its own.

"I'm heartsick," said House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago), a major advocate of gun control. The NRA is on a "rampage" in Springfield, Currie said.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich has faced criticism recently as administration lobbyists have backed some pro-gun measures and opposed some anti-gun ones despite the governor's claims to back strong gun controls. This time, however, the administration appeared to speak with one voice.

Agency lobbyists in the House Agriculture and Conservation Committee registered in opposition to the concealed carry measures, and an aide to the governor later pledged he would veto the measures.

"If the legislature passed them, they're dead on arrival," said Abby Ottenhoff, Blagojevich's spokeswoman.

NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde said the concealed-carry bills have a "50-50 shot" of passing the House. The bills are similar, except one gives the authority to the Illinois State Police to distribute permits and the other gives it to the county sheriffs.

Under the bills, the city of Chicago could not stop someone from carrying a concealed handgun despite its own ban on handguns, Vandermyde said.

In Springfield, gun issues break along regional, rather than partisan, lines.

The panel endorsed a third bill to require people buying guns at gun shows to undergo background checks, closing a disputed loophole, but it also would require the state to destroy records of sales after 90 days. Though Chicago would be exempted, gun-control proponents want records kept indefinitely.

The fourth bill approved by the panel would prevent municipalities other than Chicago from regulating rifles, shotguns and ammunition for those weapons, including in places like Oak Park and Aurora, which have ordinances in place, Vandermyde said.

Remaining non-gun stuff snipped
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Time for a full court press!  I just *love* to sicken foes!

From today's Chicago Tribune:

Gun bills OKd by House panel
Concealed-carry moves sicken foes

By Erika Slife and Ray Long
Tribune staff reporters
Published March 9, 2005

SPRINGFIELD -- Average citizens could carry concealed weapons under two bills that won overwhelming approval in a House committee Tuesday, setting up a rare, full-blown House floor fight over the issue that advocates say will make people safer and critics contend will lead to more gun violence.

The move further buttressed the National Rifle Association's strategy to not only blunt Mayor Richard Daley's push for gun-control laws but to take the fight to him with a frontal assault of its own.

"I'm heartsick," said House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago), a major advocate of gun control. The NRA is on a "rampage" in Springfield, Currie said.
Gov. Rod Blagojevich has faced criticism recently as administration lobbyists have backed some pro-gun measures and opposed some anti-gun ones despite the governor's claims to back strong gun controls. This time, however, the administration appeared to speak with one voice.

Agency lobbyists in the House Agriculture and Conservation Committee registered in opposition to the concealed carry measures, and an aide to the governor later pledged he would veto the measures.

"If the legislature passed them, they're dead on arrival," said Abby Ottenhoff, Blagojevich's spokeswoman.

NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde said the concealed-carry bills have a "50-50 shot" of passing the House. The bills are similar, except one gives the authority to the Illinois State Police to distribute permits and the other gives it to the county sheriffs.

Under the bills, the city of Chicago could not stop someone from carrying a concealed handgun despite its own ban on handguns, Vandermyde said.

In Springfield, gun issues break along regional, rather than partisan, lines.

The panel endorsed a third bill to require people buying guns at gun shows to undergo background checks, closing a disputed loophole, but it also would require the state to destroy records of sales after 90 days. Though Chicago would be exempted, gun-control proponents want records kept indefinitely.

The fourth bill approved by the panel would prevent municipalities other than Chicago from regulating rifles, shotguns and ammunition for those weapons, including in places like Oak Park and Aurora, which have ordinances in place, Vandermyde said.

Remaining non-gun stuff snipped

I like this part especially

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
HB2567 and HB 2607 have both been sent to the entire House for consideration!!!  Now we need to get the Senate bills out of Judiciary - a new hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday 3-15.

Guys, I spoke today with my Senator's chief staffer, and she said this one really is shaping up to have a chance.  They think they can cram a veto override down Rodster's throat (or up his ass, your preference).  BUT, we need to do our part.

1)  Contact your Representative and ask them to support and co-sponsor HB2567 and HB2607.
2)  Contact *each* member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask that they give SB1500 and SB2101 a "do pass" so they can be considered by the full Senate.
3)  Contact your Senator and ask them to support and co-sponsor SB1500 and SB2101.

This staffer said that every freakin' phone call and letter will help the cause, because all these elected officials are holding a wet finger up in the air right now to see what way the wind's blowing.

In other words, BLOW YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE!  Do your part!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Just gave my rep. a blow job.    FYI...  the built-in fax driver in Windows XP is very useful for things like this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, I forgot:

www.ilga.gov/

Look up your elected officials, check the status of a bill, etc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I contacted my elected officials!

Have you contacted yours?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
HB2567 and HB 2607 have both been sent to the entire House for consideration!!!  Now we need to get the Senate bills out of Judiciary - a new hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday 3-15.

Guys, I spoke today with my Senator's chief staffer, and she said this one really is shaping up to have a chance.  They think they can cram a veto override down Rodster's throat (or up his ass, your preference).  BUT, we need to do our part.

1)  Contact your Representative and ask them to support and co-sponsor HB2567 and HB2607.
2)  Contact *each* member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask that they give SB1500 and SB2101 a "do pass" so they can be considered by the full Senate.
3)  Contact your Senator and ask them to support and co-sponsor SB1500 and SB2101.

This staffer said that every freakin' phone call and letter will help the cause, because all these elected officials are holding a wet finger up in the air right now to see what way the wind's blowing.

In other words, BLOW YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE!  Do your part!

Very good advice - this is huge.  Somebody should also tack this in GD for exposure, like the NY AWB.  We need to stay on the offensive.  

Wishful thinking.  Rod is an idiot, and will veto it.  We'll just run it through until it passes.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I wrote my elected officials this morning. Increased support is almost too much to hope for. I, as well as the NRA, had all but given up on any chance of CCW in Illinois.
Write, call, fax, email. Bombard your elected officials! If this doesn't pass, it's our own fault.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Good Luck Guys and Gals!  I too would like to visit with my family "behind enemy lines", but refuse to cross the border on non-business related activities until you sell Chicago to Canada!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
If I read the bill correctly, one of the places that concealed carry would be prohibited would be in church. After what has happened in Wisconsin, that section bothers me. Anyone know if this is in the final bill or anything more on it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good Luck Guys and Gals!  I too would like to visit with my family "behind enemy lines", but refuse to cross the border on non-business related activities until you sell Chicago to Canada!

Uh, ever heard of Gary....or East Chicago? At least Canada would actually purchase Chicago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, ever heard of Gary....or East Chicago? At least Canada would actually purchase Chicago.

Heard of 'em both, and traded them to Chicago long ago!  They RARELY affect anything that goes on with us downstaters, can you say the same about Chicago?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard of 'em both, and traded them to Chicago long ago!  They RARELY affect anything that goes on with us downstaters, can you say the same about Chicago?

Sadly................................no

Other than Chicago, the rest of the state is pretty nice.

Shoot, once you start getting more towards the Kentucky border, you start getting into more and more level headed people (read non-city people)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sadly................................no

Other than Chicago, the rest of the state is pretty nice.

Shoot, once you start getting more towards the Kentucky border, you start getting into more and more level headed people (read non-city people)

WIZZO

I agree totally, I and my fiance are both "from" southern IL, but the state unfortunately, is run from Mayor Daley's office in Chicago, not Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Why sell Chicago?  I'd give it to them. I might even pay them to take it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd really hate to inflict Chicago on Canada. Maybe France though.

Would Quebec be a good compromise?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I just contacted my anti gun rep.  Couple days old but good link.  Names and telephone# and some emails of the Judiciary Committee.  The 2 bills are to be heard on 3/15.  That's tomorrow.

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/10048//leave.cgi?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fillinoiscarry.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D363

Contact them if you want CCW in IL
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh yeah baby that's what I'm talking abooooout!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#43]
First new to the forum, so howdy!

I sent out my letters, too all ten on the committe. They won't get there till tomorrow AM, but they will be there.

Here is a copy..

March 13, 2005

Dear Senator (so and so),

I understand that two pieces of legislation, SB 1500 and SB 2101 have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Seeing how either of these two bills would recognize the right of “law-abiding” Illinois citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection upon the completion of a training course. I therefore ask that you give due consideration to these bills and approve them for passage.

In 44 others states the General Assemblies have recognized the right of their own citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection. Many of these states have also recognized my right and previous training by granting me the right to carry a firearm in their state, even though I’m a resident of Illinois.

In these same states there were many dire predictions of ensuring mayhem and all thus far have proven groundless. These states have seen the benefit of reduced crime. No longer do the criminals in these states “feel safe” to prey upon what they see as a helpless victim.

So, I ask you Senator. Which shall it be?

Are you going to grant the lawful citizens of this great State of Illinois the ability to defend themselves against those criminals who would do us harm, or are you going to grant the criminals the right to “continue too feel safe” and allow them the ability to prey upon us ?

Please be a responsible Senator, support these bills, and allow the citizens of this state to defend themselves from criminals that have no respect for the laws of this state.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
First new to the forum, so howdy!

I sent out my letters, too all ten on the committe. They won't get there till tomorrow AM, but they will be there.

Here is a copy..

March 13, 2005

Dear Senator (so and so),

I understand that two pieces of legislation, SB 1500 and SB 2101 have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Seeing how either of these two bills would recognize the right of “law-abiding” Illinois citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection upon the completion of a training course. I therefore ask that you give due consideration to these bills and approve them for passage.

In 44 others states the General Assemblies have recognized the right of their own citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection. Many of these states have also recognized my right and previous training by granting me the right to carry a firearm in their state, even though I’m a resident of Illinois.

In these same states there were many dire predictions of ensuring mayhem and all thus far have proven groundless. These states have seen the benefit of reduced crime. No longer do the criminals in these states “feel safe” to prey upon what they see as a helpless victim.

So, I ask you Senator. Which shall it be?

Are you going to grant the lawful citizens of this great State of Illinois the ability to defend themselves against those criminals who would do us harm, or are you going to grant the criminals the right to “continue too feel safe” and allow them the ability to prey upon us ?

Please be a responsible Senator, support these bills, and allow the citizens of this state to defend themselves from criminals that have no respect for the laws of this state.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Damn! That's one h*ll of a letter!

Well said, very well said, ghostwalker.

Welcome to the boards, BTW.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#45]
yeah, welcome.  i like that letter.  blows mine out of the water.  next time we send off massive amounts of letters to various elected officials-i'll just have you write mine out for me cuz you use dem big perty werds......

jake
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Called all ten Senate members this morning in a last ditch effort to get the votes. Hopefully all the letters and these last minute phone calls will produce some favorable results.

Most of the secretaries were polite and said they would pass along the messages. hem

Hopefully they are getting swamped and are really passing the messages & letters along, not dumping them into the trash.

Illinois is long overdue for Concealed Carry. Make it happen guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top