Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:36:24 PM EDT
Does anyone know of or work for a department that will let a retired officer from another department qualify so they can be covered under H.R. 218 anywhere in IL?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The retired officer is supposed to be able to qualify at the PD in his home jurisdiction. Start there. If they refuse send a written request to the chief/sheriff. Ask them to explain the lawful justification for refusing to abide by federal law.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the requirements for a retired officer to carry? My father was a police officer at a small department and was wondering.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this:

www.grandlodgefop.org/legislation/issues/hr218faq.pdf

Make sure you have adobe acrobat to read this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
SIGNAL4L,

Thanks for the input.  Unforutnately, the agency he reitred from is Chicago PD, whom he has already contacted and I'm sure you can imagine how that went.  Bottom line: Chicago PD does not want to honor this law and is dragging its feet and now has gotten the IL State Police in on the act because they won't qualify a retired CPD officer, even though in IL ALL officers are sworn under state law.

I think they realize that this is the first crack in the damn and it's just killing them to let anybody that isn't active LE or one of their political chrony, sworn "Peace Officer" types.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This does need to get sorted out. A lot of municipalities are refusing to abide by this law out of fear that they will be somehow liable if the retired officer is involved in a shooting. I believe some private training facilities are offering this certification.  Check out Hershel Davis' place in NW Illinois. I believe it is called "the site".

Here is the link : http://www.shoot-at-the-site.com/courses-pistol.htm

I may have spoken too soon. They offer police certification classes only. Elxellent training, though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top