Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 11:05:59 PM EDT
Is it in the law that ISP must send a FOID or letter of denial within 30 days, or is it simply "policy"?

I mailed my application for renewal August 15th.  The check cleared my bank Aug 20th.  I called today and was told that it was cleared and should be in the mail around the 15th of this month.  I guess it's gonna take another week to laminate it.    Anyway, that's two solid months; double the time they're supposed to take.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You called and they said it's coming? Did they look it up or offhand just tell you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
They looked it up.  No tinfoil needed, I'm in the green.  

FWIW, the recording you hear before you get to speak to a human states that processing time is "exceeding 30 days".
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had an FOI for about 25years. When I tried to renew it last August, the ISP said I had a felony from 20 years ago which made me inelligable for a FOI. Had to send them certified copies from the courthouse that showed the charges were dropped. The State Police say all new FOI applications are being scrutinized by the FBI since 9/11. It now takes a couple of months for applications to be processed as apposed to the normal 4 - 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
STATE LAW CLEARLY STATES THAT THE FOID HAS 30 DAYS TO PROCESS THE APPLICATION FROM THE TIME IT ARIVES AT FOID. DUE TO FUNDING AND PEOPLE POWER THEY HAVE NOT BEN ABLE TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW. THIS IS GOING TO BE ADDRESSED IN A SUB COMMITE HEARING THIS FALL. IF FOID GIVES YOU A HARD TIME GO TO A SUPERVISOR AND TELL THEM THAT THE LAW IS 30 DAYS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑5)
   Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified pursuant to Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $5 fee. $3 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of such fee shall be deposited in the General Revenue Fund in the State Treasury and $1 of such fee shall be deposited in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund. Monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used exclusively to pay for the cost of sending notices of expiration of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under Section 13.2 of this Act. Excess monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used to ensure the prompt and efficient processing of applications received under Section 4 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 84‑1426.)

(430 ILCS 65/10) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑10)
   Sec. 10. (a) Whenever an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 30 days of its receipt, or whenever such a Card is revoked or seized as provided for in Section 8 of this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director of the Department of State Police for a hearing upon such denial, revocation or seizure, unless the denial, revocation, or seizure was based upon a forcible felony, stalking, aggravated stalking, domestic battery, any violation of either the Illinois Controlled Substances Act or the Cannabis Control Act that is classified as a Class 2 or greater felony, any felony violation of Article 24 of the Criminal Code of 1961, or any adjudication as a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony, in which case the aggrieved party may petition the circuit court in writing in the county of his or her residence for a hearing upon such denial, revocation, or seizure.

Answered my own question.  The enforcers don't comply with the law and I can file an appeal for a hearing.    I don't comply with the law, I lose my guns, my rights, and possibly my freedoms.
Sounds fair; I suppose I could file an appeal.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Nobody gave me a hard time.  I just think having to wait more than 30 days is inherently bullshite.  

Either comply with the law or drop the expectation that everyone else should (i.e. erase the fucker).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally.  It's here.

I was told yesterday that it would be put in the mail around the 15th.  It was deposited in my mailbox less than 24 hrs later.  Tightly-run ship there, boys.

Needs another
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
FOID processing has been running anywhere from 8 to 14 weeks.  I know this personally- the g/f applied for hers back in July and it only just showed up a week ago!  My roommates g/f also took 12 weeks to show up.  Maybe some of those new tollway funds can be used to actually get the goverment to meet their own requirements....

I know at least two people who simply never got theirs- paid and it just never showed up after 4+ months!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Friend just got hers in about 7 weeks. The law only says they have 30 days to approve or deny. Doesn't say how long they have to print it up and send it to you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I called my state senator and asked him to check on the problem there. Related the above experiences of delay, re-iterated the law, the funding part toward processing, and the seriousness of a citizen not being able to possess his foid in a planned, timely manner.
 Also , since they can't comply with the law, and it is such a serous offense without one, I remarked that I thought the law should be withdrawn.
 Let's remember, the reason for the foid has morphed through the ages. In the OLDE days, the card was [to] "determine who was [not] able to possess firearms or ammunition." NOW, it seems it is used to determine who can or should be able to. Now that's a far cry from a person's God-given rights.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It was and is gun owner registration.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
STATE LAW CLEARLY STATES THAT THE FOID HAS 30 DAYS TO PROCESS THE APPLICATION FROM THE TIME IT ARIVES AT FOID. DUE TO FUNDING AND PEOPLE POWER THEY HAVE NOT BEN ABLE TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW. THIS IS GOING TO BE ADDRESSED IN A SUB COMMITE HEARING THIS FALL. IF FOID GIVES YOU A HARD TIME GO TO A SUPERVISOR AND TELL THEM THAT THE LAW IS 30 DAYS.

Well maybe they should spend less time searching for seatbelt violators. They have plenty of manpower, this is Blago BS. I hope we all remember this in 2 years when the dirt bag is up for reelection. Simple solution, follow the lead of all other 49 states and drop the FOID.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I called my state senator and asked him to check on the problem there. Related the above experiences of delay, re-iterated the law, the funding part toward processing, and the seriousness of a citizen not being able to possess his foid in a planned, timely manner.
 Also , since they can't comply with the law, and it is such a serous offense without one, I remarked that I thought the law should be withdrawn.
 Let's remember, the reason for the foid has morphed through the ages. In the OLDE days, the card was [to] "determine who was [not] able to possess firearms or ammunition." NOW, it seems it is used to determine who can or should be able to. Now that's a far cry from a person's God-given rights.

Again, I must remind everyone and make it crystal clear, the FOID act was passed in reaction to the Chicago race riots of the 1960's. It was meant to keep minorities from owning guns. Now, since the FOID act was originally passed to keep certain people from owning guns, they have just taken it a step further. This is totally at the hands of Daley, Blago and Madigan. Think what you want, it's corruption of the typical Illinois kind. Once again, thank you Babyboomers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine expired in October, I mailed it early August, and it came the day after my old one expired.

FWIW, my dealer attended a legal ting with ISP and ATF. From what he described, it sounds like they're using really archaic technology to do this. Considering that Sam's Club, the Driver's License station, etc. can do theirs "while you wait" I have to believe this needs to be addressed. I just hate to ask my congressmen to try to get them funds when I keep bugging him to get the thing repealed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I really didn't sweat the short amount of time between when my FOID expired and my new card arrived in the mail.  It was somthing like 2 weeks?

I guess it is the principle of the thing that sucks, but if they raise the price of a FOID to $500 or somthing, the ISP can FO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top