Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 5:09:59 PM EDT
I am looking for the actual ordinance which bans handguns in the City of Chicago.  I understand it is Chicago Municipal Code 8-20-200(c).  I would like to read the law for myself.

The question was posed to me as follows.

As a resident of the City of Chicago, is it illegal for me to own a handgun period, or can a citizen own a handgun which is kept elsewhere and never brought into the city?

If I remember correctly, the law banned the sale of handguns and the new registration of any handguns.  I don't think it said that you can't keep a gun at a club or a second residence.

Thank God I don't live in Dalyville.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Residents of Chicago purchase them all the time. They can not legally take them into the city. They are kept at friends, family, etc. outside of the city.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Roadhawk

Get an Illinois Firearm Owner ID card ASAP. You will need this to buy BB’s.

In Chicago to own and to possess are two different things. No one knows what you own. To legally possess a handgun within the city limits, the gun in question, would have to have been registered with the Dept of Revenue (read; Ministry of Anything They Want)
before the handgun “freeze” of 1984 . This measure was implemented by the city council and has never (Refused! like all other municipal gun bans) been heard by the Supreme Court.

Feel free to own and buy as may handguns as you wish. Dealers may take exception to your FOID address. That is their perogative. (Get a FOID on Lake county address to avoid that) Do not possess any of them within the city limits of Chicago. We all know what possess means. That right is reserved for elected officials, like Alderman and the Commissioner of “ What the F---.”…… Well maybe that commissioner wasn’t elected but he damn sure knows someone who was.

Long guns (except Sport Utility Rifles ,Cook County only) and shotguns may be legal but they must also be registered with the Dept Of Revenue if you bring them within the city limits. Avoid that if at all possible. I am always “On my way to the range from the burbs where my guns are stored.” or “ I just pulled of the Toll way for a beef sandwich and I just happen to be within the city limits”. As long as you are keeping the long gun at “Cousin Charlie’s up north” any city transportation problems can be explained away.  If they ( the guns) are in your house or apt and the man comes calling, contact the ACLU and ask them why they won’t help this brother out.

Just passing through!

JR

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
go to
www.municode.com/

click on ONLINE LIBRARY
then
the state of Illinois on the map
then
THE CHICAGO CODE OF ORDINANCES
then
you'll get a left web frames of chapters
the first page is chapters 1-4
scroll down to the bottom of the left frame and hit more.
the code chapters are 4-7
scroll down again and hit more once again.
what you are looking for is chapter 8-20 WEAPONS
hit that and find what you asked.

GOOFY SITE.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
go to
www.municode.com/

click on ONLINE LIBRARY
then
the state of Illinois on the map
then
THE CHICAGO CODE OF ORDINANCES
then
you'll get a left web frames of chapters
the first page is chapters 1-4
scroll down to the bottom of the left frame and hit more.
the code chapters are 4-7
scroll down again and hit more once again.
what you are looking for is chapter 8-20 WEAPONS
hit that and find what you asked.

GOOFY SITE.

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top