Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 11:23:04 AM EDT
FOX
Monday, September 20, 2004

At Least One Shot at Illinois Capitol

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132944,00.html

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — At least one person was shot at the state Capitol on Monday afternoon, and the building was locked down, with employees ordered to stay in their offices.

It was not immediately clear if the shooter was still in the building.

The victim's condition was not immediately released.

Dave DeFraties, chief of operations with the Springfield Fire Department (search), said the paramedics were called to treat someone who had been shot. That person was taken to a hospital, he said.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Man that is awful. I hope they turn ok. Christ, turning on the news now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Who wants to bet an AR or AK gets the blame for the shot?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who wants to bet an AR or AK gets the blame for the shot?

No bet.

Edit to add: Great, he died. The shooter went in, shot him, left the building, threw the gun in the trunk, and took off.

This sounds extremely staged to me, at this point. Why would you run in and kill a security guard, then take off? What's the point?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
just seen the news
they reported guy used shotgun , ran and tossed it in his trunk and took off before cops got there

unreal  ! !
all i can think is DALEY/BLAGO set this up   <~~~  just kidding

BTW
also in the news
the unarmed guard died ,
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
now if this state had legal CCW
wonder how the outcome would have differed

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
He may have robbed a military surplus store.

Fox News

Great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just seen the news
they reported guy used shotgun , ran and tossed it in his trunk and took off before cops got there

unreal  ! !
all i can think is DALEY/BLAGO set this up   <~~~  just kidding

BTW
also in the news
the unarmed guard died ,

If this turns out to be an "assault weapon" that's exactly what I think.

No kidding.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel sorry for the victim, first and foremost.

And there is NO WAY this will be good for us....

Larry
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes I too feel sorry for the victim and his family. But things like this make me madd as hell! I want to write the Gov and express my feelings.  But I know that would do about as much good as pissing in the wind!  But what will it take for this JERKOFF to realize that gun laws only punish the law abiding gun owner. Damnit!  What good is an unarmed security guard? Sure was a good thing that he didn't have an evil gun now is it? Too bad we don't have CCW. This would stop some of this CRAP! Wake up JERKOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
They're going to put in metal detectors, and give the guards guns.

Get this--the metal detectors wouldn't have changed the outcome, but having armed guards would have.

Imagine that!

I wonder when the safety and lives of an average citizen will be as important as the life of a government employee in this state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
A security guard without a weapon = food taster of kings. WTF.

Sympathy for the family,.    

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I work at a state office in Springfield, we went on immmeditate lockdown. Our guards also do not have guns, heck they do not have mace or even a flashlight! They do have a radio, so I guess they could call for help to each other. It is a farce really.

My wife knew the guard personally, he had two kids in school. She is pretty upset. Jesse White at least had the class to go see his wife. Our Gov. had the decency to fly in to town, a few hours later, to hold a press conference. First time he has been here since the "budget battle" I think.

You gotta wonder what this guy was thinking. At least they have caught him.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah but at a minimal, they could've at least issued body armor.  The shooting is inevitable.  Any one can just run up and do a random shooting without going through a metal detector.  You'd think at a state capital they would have armed guards and not metal detectors.  But then again, they've always felt having armed personnel around looked too menacing to the public.  The County Board in DuPage is trying to do that to the courthouse.  They want to remove the Deputies in the courtrooms and replace them with unarmed Bailiffs.  Just my .02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top