Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 4:22:02 PM EDT

Keyes rips Obama over opposition to gun bill
August 24, 2004

BY MIKE ROBINSON ASSOCIATED PRESS

Alan Keyes attacked Democratic rival Barack Obama's vote on legislation to ease handgun laws Tuesday, saying that restricting the right of Illinois residents to own firearms "is going to make them into vulnerable prey" for criminals.

At a news conference, the Republican U.S. Senate nominee targeted Obama's vote in the Illinois Senate against legislation that have would allowed gun owners to claim self defense in court when arrested on illegal possession charges.

Defendants may not use that defense to fight illegal gun charges in court under ordinances now on the books in a number of Illinois communities.

Keyes said Obama's vote against the legislation won't make Illinois residents any safer.

"It is going to make them into vulnerable prey to the bad elements in our society," the conservative commentator and former diplomat told reporters.

"This seems to be a man who is absolutely determined to make the world safe for criminals while making sure that law abiding citizens have no opportunity to defend themselves against the criminals," he said.

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs retorted that the Democratic Senate candidate had a record of voting for gun safety while recognizing the legitimate needs of sportsmen.

"If Mr. Keyes is concerned about public safety, I would suggest he abandon his long-standing opposition to the federal ban on military-style assault weapons," Gibbs said in an e-mail issued by the Obama campaign office.

Keyes opposes the assault weapons ban, which expires next month; Obama supports the ban.

The state handgun bill Obama voted against was a response to the case of a suburban Chicago restaurant owner who shot a burglar who had broken into his home twice. Prosecutors declined to press criminal charges, but Wilmette officials charged the homeowner with violating a municipal handgun ban.

The bill won Legislative approval but was vetoed Friday by Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who said it would encourage people to buy handguns in violation of the law.

Keyes was accompanied at the news conference by state Sen. Ed Petka, R-Plainfield, the sponsor of the bill that Blagojevich vetoed. Petka predicted that when lawmakers return to Springfield in November they will vote to override the governor's veto.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets hope so. There was a piece in the trib pretty much like the one you posted.

So your a sox fan and a sun times fan?

My Dell was hit by lightning, now I have a compaq as of yesterday,  if  I can remember how to use one of these things a pic of  a fuck wearing an obama sticker at the state fair will be posted a little later.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lets hope so. There was a piece in the trib pretty much like the one you posted.

So your a sox fan and a sun times fan?

My Dell was hit by lightning, now I have a compaq as of yesterday,  if  I can remember how to use one of these things a pic of  a fuck wearing an obama sticker at the state fair will be posted a little later.  

nope i reead the trib, gf sent me that link, tribs was in todays paper and much more info

yeah i am a sox fan, but i can't watch all 4 quarters and usulay leave at half time
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The pic I wanted to post turned to shit . It was a young person, I will not call him a man, ...tooo many studs on his wrists and neck.  If that is anyones bag , go for it . I'm not a judge of  people, ...but I thought it would be funny to post a pic of the neo-democratic party.  The Food-o- ramma was to dark  for it to turn out .

The cajun Waleye was great, and my nephew made a candle out of wax,   I asked the IEPA folks about the range , got a stupid lost look ,  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top