Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2004 2:24:18 PM EDT
Looks 90% certain that I will be moving out that way come Sept. 1st.  Are ther any ranges out there or places to shoot i.e. folks with farmland?  Any laws/regs on guns?  Cool things to do? Good places to live (apartments) or paces to avoid? Any of you have cute, single sisters?

I got a job offer from a firm in downtown Libertyville and the owner actually drove me around for 45 minutes to show me the town and surrounding area which sold me pretty well on the job.  I like the fact it is not overbuilt like Geneva and I have a friend who lives in Hainesville and said the cost of living isn't too bad in his area, although Libertyville itself is pretty expensive.

Soooo, sell the area to me!  Tell me why I should move out there and should throw the last four years of my life into chaos!

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I tell ya what. Lake County is very segregated in the sense of economics. I live in western Lake County, pretty much on the line of Lake and McHenry. Every day we all drive to places like Libertyville to do their construction, landscaping, what have you. Hainesville and Libertyville are two very different towns. If you like latte drinking, liberal, anti gun, babyboomer traitors, Libertyville is the place to be.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
As for places to shoot, there aren't many options.

There's Bass Pro shop, in Gurnee, pistol only, 25 yd indoor, at 10.00/hour
They also have a rifle tube, but it's really only useful for getting your rifle sighted in.  They used to not allow "military style" rifles, but someone told me that recently changed.  I don't know for sure, I havent checked myself.

There's a range on 120 in McHenry, pistol and pistol caliber long guns.  I think they charge 14.00/hour, but it might be less with a membership.

And then there's a place in Winthrop Harbor, pretty much the same as Mchenry, onlt it's 10.00/hour.
Those are the closest places.  For outdoor fun there's the rock, and Bristol, although they only allow one round at a time, I think.

I might actuallly be living in Libertyville soon also, depending on how job prospects turn out.  There arent any local laws that I know about until you get closer to Chicago, but traffic is ALWAYS VERY BAD, and half the roads in Lake county are currently undergoing repairs/widening.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the guy who offered me the job yesterday called back this morning and offered me more money.  Apparrently he thought I was hesitating because of money, which was not the case at all, but I won't complain about the extra cash I will be making.

The job setup is actually really nice- there is a 30 day "trial" period where at any point if they or I feel things aren't going to work we can just call it quits at the end of the day with no harm no foul.  Gives me 30 days to test out the traffic, and make sure the job is right.  I still have my lease out here in Geneva through the end of the 30 days so if things crap out I can just stay out here, and I have a friend I can stay with up in Hainesville while I work up there.

Thanks for the headsup on ranges.  Hmm, looks like the assault weapons won't get as much use as I was hoping, but it is not like I have to get rid of them.  Maybe I'll just get myself a bolt gun and get real good at 300 meter shooting up at bristol!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a rifle range in Bristol. One round at a time in your rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top