Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 1:28:36 PM EDT
This garbage thing is wacko. I know this has nothing to do with shooting but will it be ok to shoot rats with my AR if they don't get my garbage soon? I am with the Garbage Men I recently saw a poll where only 45% of Chicago Suburbanites thought that garbage guys deserved a raise. That pisses me off that guys that come pick up your shit in your North Shore mansion are supposed to try and raise a family on $21 an hour and compete with these idiots for a decent place to live. I typically don't side with unions, but this is ridiculous. I feel much better now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm lucky that I have a friend in Will County. Last night I hauled my garbage over to his house and put it out on the street with his.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a house but it's piling up next to about 20 yards of construction debris as I have been working on the house since Spring. it's a lovely sight. I'm still with the garbage guys though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I say " Get back to work !"  I want a 10-20% increase in pay every year for the next 3 years too ! !    Who doesn't ??  But I think it's an extremely unreasonable request, especially in this economy.  I know we need them and I'm not saying they don't work hard, cause they do, but lets be reasonable.  Take the buck that's being offered,  which will still be 10% for some of them, and lets get the garbage picked up.  If you want more money, get a different job.   just my 2 cents......whew.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with these guy's 100%. The owners want them to pay more for there medical benefits.This will eat up there raise.If you lived in one of the chicago area countys you would know $21.00 an hour is not much. $21.00 x 2080 of work in a year is $43.680. Then subtract what they pay for there union dues and medical cost. It sounds like alot but when you add up the cost of living it's just getting by in that area.
BTW WHATS WRONG WITH A UNION?
It's ok for other profession to have a collective voice.
Doctor's have the AMA
Lawyer's have the American Bar Association
Cops have unions.
But when the garbage man has one it's bad.
He can't make a decent living for his family.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry brother but I am tired of working my ass into the ground making no money to support over inflated salaries of the elite. I am with the garbage guys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm with these guy's 100%. The owners want them to pay more for there medical benefits.This will eat up there raise.If you lived in one of the chicago area countys you would know $21.00 an hour is not much. $21.00 x 2080 of work in a year is $43.680. Then subtract what they pay for there union dues and medical cost. It sounds like alot but when you add up the cost of living it's just getting by in that area.
BTW WHATS WRONG WITH A UNION?
It's ok for other profession to have a collective voice.
Doctor's have the AMA
Lawyer's have the American Bar Association
Cops have unions.
But when the garbage man has one it's bad.
He can't make a decent living for his family.

Hey I don't want to start a union argument here. All I said was I typically don't side with labor unions. the AMA and the ABA are trade associations not labor unions. I am totally 100% with the garbage guys and have been from the start. God forbid you say something anti labor union in the People's Republic of Illinois.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't say anything anti-union either.  I just think that the amount of money they are asking for is unreasonable.  Take a look at your last raise.  Was it 20% ??   I highly doubt it.  I would do freakin' backflips for even a 5% raise ! !   Times are tough for everyone, not just the garbage throwers.  Again, nothing anti-union in what I'm saying.  Just anti-dreaming ! !
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
All I can say up here from WI is:

NEENER-NEENER-NEENER!

If the trash haulers stoped picking up trash here, we would just burn it.

Damn FIBS and no-burn laws.  

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me get this straight. I may not understand the whole story and may be reacting in the wrong way, but these garbage collectors are getting $21.00 an hour!!! and they are bitching???!!! And they want a 10-30% raise on top of that???
They collect garbage for christ's sake!! The fricken Mexican cutting your neighbors lawn for $4/hr  or some machinist is a dirty factory making $7/hr works just as hard or even harder! Man...Don't even get me started on postal workers who make around $18/hr who can't even get out of his truck to get to walk around a car to get to a mailbox to do his job!!

There are professions out there that require more skills and are more frustrating than driving a truck around and dump garbage cans, with many trucks now having automatic can lifters on them and those workers wish they even got paid half that amount and hour!

What are you guys making??? I wished I made $21/hr...heck, I'd be happy with $15. I used to make that kind of money working for a bunch of whiney-ass union people. But now I have a different job making less and I'm glad to have it.
If everyone who didn't make $21/hr and over, bitched, went on strike, an stopped working because their pay didn't match their lifestyle and healthcare...over half this country would be on strike!!  If garbage men deserve higher pay and benefits because of the cost of living..then why not everyone else?  The $8/hr that some lady at Wal-Mart is making isn't enough to support her family...let's give her a $14 dollar raise! And even that $22/hr that lady from Wal-Mart now makes isn't enough.

Yes, everyone needs big money in order to have that comfortable life to raise a family and most people desereve such a life. But that isn't going to happen to everyone. This may be the U.S.A. - land of opportunity, but it isn't an Utopia or garden of eden.

Seems the more money people make ther more they bitch that they don't have enough.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Hey Armaliter,  How do you really feel ??  He He
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
im not a mayor. but if i were one i would pay ya  150 grand to save my life, to all il voters / arf com il people. vote for me . go ar15
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
by the way , i dont live in a shithole, i live free from mayors . farm livn, dont shoot my dog and i wont shoot you, burn anything ya want . lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top