Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2022 1:18:58 AM EDT
These people have nothing better to do than to find any remote, obscure name that was associated with cultural norms of the 18th and 19th centuries and summarily erase them from history.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/bill-would-erase-former-nevada-senators-name-from-washington-d-c-neighborhood-2515990/
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
These people have nothing better to do than to find any remote, obscure name that was associated with cultural norms of the 18th and 19th centuries and summarily erase them from history.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/bill-would-erase-former-nevada-senators-name-from-washington-d-c-neighborhood-2515990/
View Quote

Keeping up a memorial of a dude who was blatantly racist in 2021 is pretty fucked up. The guy wanted to deny citizens their rights. I can understand wanting to remove they guy’s legacy. It would be similar to naming a clock tower at Texas A&M ‘Whitman Clock’ because he was a marine sniper.

Eventually some kid will walk by that, look up the name, learn the history and ask ‘so why did they name this place after him? Because he had money or because they don’t allow anyone but white people in here?’

Edit: it’s a fountain in a neighborhood you’ll never live in. Seriously, why do you care? Are you sensitive to memorials in neighborhoods you don’t live in, or is it just because the National Park Service requires an act of Congress to remove it? Seems like a stupid thing to get upset about. On both sides.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Nah, it’s just Taliban like behavior, that’s all. I never heard of the guy before. Who knew that in 1917 someone in politics was racist LOL. They ALL were by todays “standard”. Keep on erasing things. Carry on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nah, it’s just Taliban like behavior, that’s all. I never heard of the guy before. Who knew that in 1917 someone in politics was racist LOL. They ALL were by todays “standard”. Keep on erasing things. Carry on.
View Quote

You have successfully shown me where the internet hurt you. I’m sorry someone you never heard of is being removed from a fountain you’ll never see. The Wikipedia page says 8 Democrats voted against it. Yeah, there was some racism and it wasn’t as popular as you think.

Edit: oh shit, this is the guy Newlands Park is named after. We’re you posting about it then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Old news.  The guy had an entire neighborhood and city park in Reno named after him and this came up locally last year.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/07/20/reno-nevada-racism-newlands-park/5462504002/

For the the current issue in DC, they are talking about changing a name on a plaque attached to a fountain.  While I think the plague of finding "historical systemic racism" everywhere they look is just plain silly, I really don't give a shit if they change a plaque on a fountain 3,000 miles away because Democrats are offended by what another racist Democrat did a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past" - George Orwell.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You have successfully shown me where the internet hurt you. I’m sorry someone you never heard of is being removed from a fountain you’ll never see. The Wikipedia page says 8 Democrats voted against it. Yeah, there was some racism and it wasn’t as popular as you think.

Edit: oh shit, this is the guy Newlands Park is named after. We’re you posting about it then?
View Quote

You would not know this before now but I am a guy who saw all of those statues, embraced the historical significance of the monuments and even saw the fountains. I did not concern myself with what this particular plaque was about, I care that everything to do with the past is being removed because they are in “control” and additionally, their feels.

In Virginia, with reminders of our history everywhere you go, Democrats want to erase it, erase you and replace you with someone woke, someone gay, someone thinking differently just to spit on you. That is un-American. Cultural differences have now dictated that anything one person or group does not agree with is summarily removed, or destroyed. Sure, at the end of the day they are just inanimate objects made by people a generation or two later to commemorate the leaders of their day but there seems to be no end in sight.

You do seem to be particularly touched by this topic which is interesting. So, what do you say? Just move on? Which statue(s) or item of historical record would you like to see destroyed across America? You know, because of some wiki article or something you disagree with.  Thomas Jefferson on your list?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You would not know this before now but I am a guy who saw all of those statues, embraced the historical significance of the monuments and even saw the fountains. I did not concern myself with what this particular plaque was about, I care that everything to do with the past is being removed because they are in “control” and additionally, their feels.

In Virginia, with reminders of our history everywhere you go, Democrats want to erase it, erase you and replace you with someone woke, someone gay, someone thinking differently just to spit on you. That is un-American. Cultural differences have now dictated that anything one person or group does not agree with is summarily removed, or destroyed. Sure, at the end of the day they are just inanimate objects made by people a generation or two later to commemorate the leaders of their day but there seems to be no end in sight.

You do seem to be particularly touched by this topic which is interesting. So, what do you say? Just move on? Which statue(s) or item of historical record would you like to see destroyed across America? You know, because of some wiki article or something you disagree with.  Thomas Jefferson on your list?
View Quote

I say you just move on. I’d love seeing your historical record destroyed across America. You know, because people really don’t care you’re upset a statue in a neighborhood you don’t live in having a playwright removed hurts your feelings. I’m not touched by it. I’m shocked at seeing a snowflake melt over a plaque.
‘But, but, but, MUH HeEsTorEeE’
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
SPIG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top