Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2021 12:06:36 AM EDT
An acquaintance of a friend is having an issue with a Brady background check denial and would like a recommendation for a Nevada lawyer (preferably northern Nevada but not absolutely necessary) with relevant experience in order to get it resolved.
Would love any suggestions ya'll might have!
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the issue?

If you don't want to air it, PM is fine.

Did they get the letter about the denial and did it list what it was? 18USC 922 (g) or??

Not an attorney, but I have enough experience with denials. An attorney isn't going to do much more than you can on your own.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the issue?

If you don't want to air it, PM is fine.

Did they get the letter about the denial and did it list what it was? 18USC 922 (g) or??

Not an attorney, but I have enough experience with denials. An attorney isn't going to do much more than you can on your own.
View Quote

I'm not exactly sure but I'll reach out to my friend and see if I can get more info.  
She's an attorney but doesn't have any experience dealing with Brady issues and was hoping I might have a recommendation for a referral I guess...
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't there a form you can fill out and send to NV DPS who will then tell your friend the exact reason for denial so she at least knows where to start?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not exactly sure but I'll reach out to my friend and see if I can get more info.  
She's an attorney but doesn't have any experience dealing with Brady issues and was hoping I might have a recommendation for a referral I guess...
View Quote

Well, it will depend on why it was denied. Almost ALL of the stuff can be done without an attorney. I have taught a few classes on it and it is not that difficult, for NV. CA isn't bad either, but they try and sell a false rights restoration that doesn't include firearms.

98% is pure ignorance of what a prohibited person is. Brady will deny for an active traffic warrant. The most common one is people not realizing what they pled to. There is a false belief that removing the Domestic Violence name from a charge means it no longer is domestic violence. If you take a plea for punching your wife, your crime still meets the federal definition. Attorneys routinely fail to recognize that the federal definition of domestic violence is what matters and not what a state considers it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I did mine on my own, and it took a crap load of time, patience, and dealing with FBI, CADOJ, etc... Mine stemmed from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was detained and released without charges being filed, but no disposition was ever ordered, so it sat there for years as an unresolved felony case, and just never knew, until I went to buy my first firearm. Good Luck, there is no magic, just due diligence and since she is a lawyer, she can do it herself easily.

Tell her good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top