Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2021 3:11:00 PM EDT
Just bought a home there. Not moving in until March. Saw it has a bar, pizza place and a dollar general. Don’t need much more.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just bought a home there. Not moving in until March. Saw it has a bar, pizza place and a dollar general. Don’t need much more.
View Quote

Windy in fall and spring.
Lonely the rest of the time.
Washoe Lake will either be filled to capacity or empty due to being a desert.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Windy in fall and spring.
Lonely the rest of the time.
Washoe Lake will either be filled to capacity or empty due to being a desert.
View Quote

This.

Northern Nevada is windy compared to other places in my experience, but the West side of Washoe Valley is really windy. For some folks, surprisingly so. Someone I knew supposedly got "wind burn" while near the Lake.

I don't know about New Washoe City (never pulled off that way), but the area along Old US 395 (I'm assuming that you have pulled up Google maps and know what I'm on about) is absolutely gorgeous, backing up to the mountains, and filled with horse properties. It also is conveniently located between south Reno and north Carson which offers good shopping and restaurants. There is also a good-sized hospital located in north Carson. If you like hiking or skiing you can take 580 down to 50 and head up to Lake Tahoe.

I don't know about bars. Not my thing.

Some of the downsides that I can think of are that it may be a bit of a commute to work depending on your circumstances and that you are next to I-580 which has gotten absurdly busy compared to how it used to be. I suspect it will only get worse as Carson City, Reno, and Douglas County seem to be growing rather quickly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck Washoe County
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck Washoe County
View Quote

Tell us how you really feel??
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Washoe County

Yes, please explain your viewpoint.

I mean sure parts of Reno have their problems and all, but what's actually so bad about it compared to any other West coast city and what's so bad about Washoe County as a whole?

What specifically do you not like about Washoe County? Does your grievance have anything to do with Washoe Valley that the OP specifically asked about?

Could you please elaborate why you are discouraging someone from moving to an entire county?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have kids,the Washoe County School District is completely taken over by communists. They love transgender or whatever,are hellbent on diversity/equity. A complete shitshow. These are the admins that make the policy decisions that your tax dollars pay for. I know a few organizatins that fight to reel the whackos back,and I will share privately but...... good luck.-Stanley
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean sure parts of Reno have their problems and all, but what's actually so bad about it compared to any other West coast city and what's so bad about Washoe County as a whole?

What specifically do you not like about Washoe County? Does your grievance have anything to do with Washoe Valley that the OP specifically asked about?

Could you please elaborate why you are discouraging someone from moving to an entire county?
View Quote

And its just like any other west coast city,leftists have done to it what they do to anything. Ruined it.Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Since I won't have kids with me I don't need to worry about the school system. It seems like New Washoe City is one of the last areas that is not getting over built. I am hoping that with the lake there should be lots of ground water.

I will need to learn about planting wind breaks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I've lived near Washoe Valley my whole life, and you couldn't pay me to live out there.  The wind is truly horrific, I have had customers who were selling their houses and moving away due mostly to the wind, they always underestimate how bad it really is.  Add in Washoe County being the worst county in the area, and its a big no go.  There are better places in any of the surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just bought a home there. Not moving in until March. Saw it has a bar, pizza place and a dollar general. Don't need much more.
View Quote
I think the Washoe Lake area is quite pretty if you're on the Western side of the big pond and highway.

There will be wind and snow and overturned semis from the wind laying in the snow.  Notice the trees.  They grow at a 45 degree angle from the gale force winds.

Twelve minutes up the road to the North there's a big mall and supermarkets and Starbucks and all that stuff.

Twelve minutes down the road to the South there's the state capitol and hardware/ranch supply stores and all that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I lived there from '98 - '01 on the the east side.
It's windy.
My house that was built in '81, had an oil heater.
Water was red/brown, owner fixed the well but never really cured the issue.
I moved to Minden in '01.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your kids must be in the wrong schools.  I've only had amazing interactions with my kid's teachers and administrators.  

I've lived in washoe county for over 30 years and while it has turned liberal, that's more city of Reno, etc.  The rest has a lot of beautiful places.  Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Beauty is there for sure,so are fake conservatives.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since I won't have kids with me I don't need to worry about the school system. It seems like New Washoe City is one of the last areas that is not getting over built. I am hoping that with the lake there should be lots of ground water.

I will need to learn about planting wind breaks.
View Quote

Do you mean the lake that is pretty much empty? I’m sure it’s all good now.

It has been fixeded
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Some good shooting areas east of the lake but i only go there if meeting friends from Reno.

Enter here and go east.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TMSH3GHKJyRPP1mJ7

OHV off johnson is better for me
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
washoe is not bad, to the south end of it you have jumbo grade OHVa , if you like dirt bikes, hiking, mtb bikes, and shooting there are tons of stuff to do if you are into that.  You can also  head to VC via all dirt both ways. Its kinda cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top