Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Done
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have an update on how todays hearing went?

Tom
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Passed and is moving forward.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Passed and is moving forward.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
So what now that this has passed is there anything about being able to serialize the firearm. Not that I want that to happen but I mean what are our options at this point?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what now that this has passed is there anything about being able to serialize the firearm. Not that I want that to happen but I mean what are our options at this point?
View Quote
As it is written, anything that isn't 50 plus years old, must have a serial number issued by a US federally licensed manufacturer or importer.   Anything else, including unfinished receivers, instantly becomes contraband.  You can't just add your own serial number.

Even the kalifornia ghost gun law allows a person to ask the state to issue them a serial number for an existing or newly made home built firearm.   The Nevada law has no such option.  First offense is a gross misdemeanor, second is a felony.  

There is no legal recourse except to destroy the firearm frame or uncompleted firearm frame, whatever that means.  They don't use the federal definitions...

In others words, they are just taking legally obtained property without any compensation or recourse.

It is crazy and completely unconstitutional in many ways.   It is easily "void for vagueness" because the definitions or what constitutes a firearm frame is way too broad.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I heartily invite them to eat a whole buffet of dicks, and self-fornicate with the ones that are left over.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
They can fuck off straight to hell. Don't care what they do/think/say/mandate/etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
From my reading of the law and the senate amendments the serial number is only required if the Federal Government requires a serial number on an 80% lower. As long as there is no federal requirement there shouldn't be any way to require a serial number on these, and sales can continue.

1.A person shall not possess, purchase, transport or receive an unfinished frame or receiver unless:
(a)The person is a firearms importer or manufacturer; or
(b)The unfinished frame or receiver is required by federal law to be imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or  manufacturer  and  the  unfinished  frame  or  receiver  has  been imprinted with the serial number.112.
A person who violates this section:
12(a)For the first offense, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor; and
(b)For  the  second  or  any  subsequent  offense,  is  guilty  of  a category   D   felony   and   shall   be   punished   as   provided   in 15NRS 193.130.16Sec.3.5.1.
A person  shall not  sell,  offer  to sell or transfer an unfinished frame or receiver unless:
18(a)The person is:
19(1)A firearms importer or manufacturer; and
(2)The  recipient  of  the  unfinished  frame  or  receiver  is  a firearms importer or manufacturer; or
(b)The unfinished frame or receiver is required by federal law to  be  imprinted  with  a  serial  number   issued  by  an  importer  or manufacturer  and  the  unfinished  frame  or  receiver  has  been
imprinted with the serial number.
A person who violates this section:
(a)For the first offense, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor; and
(b)For  the  second  or  any  subsequent  offense,  is  guilty  of  a  category   D   felony   and   shall   be   punished   as   provided   in 6NRS 193.130.7Sec.4.1.
A  person  shall  not  manufacture  or  cause  to  be manufactured or assemble or cause to be assembled a firearm that is  not  imprinted  with  a  serial  number  issued  by  a  firearms importer or manufacturer [color=#ff0000]in accordance with federal law[/b][/color] and any regulations adopted thereunder unless the firearm:
(a)Has been rendered permanently inoperable;
(b)Is an antique firearm; or
(c)Has been determined to be a collector’s item pursuant to 26 15U.S.C.  Chapter  53  or  a  curio  or  relic  pursuant  to  18  U.S.C. 16Chapter 44.172.A person who violates this section:18(a)For the first offense, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor; and19(b)For  the  second  or  any  subsequent  offense,  is  guilty  of  a 20category   D   felony   and   shall   be   punished   as   provided   in 21NRS 193.130
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
"in accordance with federal law"... either they know something we don't know, or they just scored an epic own-goal by exempting the very thing they're trying to ban.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My reading is unfinished frames and recievers are a no go UNLESS federal law requires serializing. Thus, since federal law does not, all unfinished are illegal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
"A  person  shall  not  manufacture  or  cause  to  be manufactured or assemble or cause to be assembled a firearm that is  not  [color=#ff0000]imprinted  with  a  serial  number  issued  by  a  firearms importer or manufacturer in accordance with federal law[[/color]/b][/color] and any regulations adopted thereunder."

Since no serial number on a homemade gun is "in accordance with federal law"  i think that is an out.

They are requiring something not required by federal law.  Federal law says I, as an individual, can mark it.  Weird to invoke the very laws that don't require a serial number.

The whole law is hot garbage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My reading is unfinished frames and recievers are a no go UNLESS federal law requires serializing. Thus, since federal law does not, all unfinished are illegal.
View Quote

Upon re-reading, I believe your interpretation is correct. You can not make, buy or possess a frame or receiver unless it's required to be marked per federal law, and it is indeed marked in accordance with federal law by a licensed entity. You at home with an 80% receiver and a drill press don't meet that standard, even if you wanted to serialize your own creation.

There's no out here, you can't have a frame/receiver/pipe bomb unless it's been serialized by a federally licensed manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but since federal law does not require serialization, it should comply.

This law invokes federal law that is contrary to the proposed state law.

It is not clear at all.  Many ways to interpret
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the whole point. Federal law doesn't require, and you're not allowed to make.possess/buy/sell unless federal law requires that particular item to be serialized. Since you have an item that's not required to be serialized by federal law, it's illegal to possess under Nevada law.

At some point, federal law may require those 80% receivers to be serialized, and then you'll be able to own one provided it was marked by a federally licensed entity. Again, that's not going to be the hobbyist in his/her garage.

It's an interesting way to claim that "hey we'd let you have it but federal law won't support the conditions under which that item is legal."  I'm sure if it passes, it will end up in court to be debated for years while the average person is denied the ability to engage in the hobby of home made metal finishing.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, there's no way in hell I'm putting my company name and serializing an item that I didn't completely manufacture in my shop. The liability is a complete show stopper there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m pretty sure they did the same type of thing with the private party background checks. Last attorney general said it couldn’t be enforced and the FBI said “we arent going to run all you’re private party background checks.” Law ended up getting amended two years later to say they don’t have to do the fbi background check. I expect this confusing law to be amended soon. I read it as saying the lowers are illegal if they don’t follow federal law requiring a serial number. Federal law doesn’t require a serial number so it’s almost as if the senate too the strength out of this bill by saying it has to follow federal laws that don’t exist.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

How can they base a piece of state legislation off of federal law which does not exist... unless, like I said, they know something we don't know. Or Nevada legislators are incompetent ignoramuses of the highest order.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How can they base a piece of state legislation off of federal law which does not exist... unless, like I said, they know something we don't know. Or Nevada legislators are incompetent ignoramuses of the highest order.
View Quote

It's simple. They'll allow it if federal law allows it. Since federal law doesn't cover it, it's an omission, state law will prohibit it until such time as federal law addresses it. Perhaps in time federal law will indeed address it, as they'll need serialization and registration before they can begin to think of confiscation. Baby steps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Down vote local media anti-gun propaganda video and leave a comment:

Daily Debrief: 'Ghost guns' in Nevada

Additionally, please check out the following:

https://cqrcengage.com/nvfac/home?11
- Link to pre-filled emails.. suggest you change the title and personalize your message! Since most reps are Dems, highlight how these bills leave minority gun owners vulnerable to racist attacks as well as other issues sensitive to Dems.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/81st2021/
- Leave your professional comments on the matter.. no foul language, no insults.. again tie these issues to sensitive Dem talking points.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently they do know something we don’t.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/05/new-ghost-guns-rule-to-be-published-tomorrow-pistol-brace-rule-submitted
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#27]
It passed. Californication continues without lube.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Now the leftists have found their template. Quickly and quietly introduce anti-gun BS for vote at the last minute.. can only imagine how loud and reactive the local media would've been if Reps had done the same for their issues.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Firearms Policy Coalition is collecting plaintiffs to challenge AB286 when it's inevitably signed by the Gov. If you're interested sign up here https://www.firearmspolicy.org/hotline

Since the State of Nevada is actively working to ban unfinished frames and the self-manufacture of firearms, FPC Law needs to hear from Nevada residents who are interested in challenging the Constitutionality of these prospective prohibitions. For more information about participating as a plaintiff in an FPC lawsuit, please see our FAQ page at FPCPlaintiff.org. If you meet the following criteria, our legal team needs to hear from you immediately! Please fill out the form at 2Ahotline.com.

Nevada resident
   Currently owns an unfinished frame or receiver, or
   A firearm you self-manufactured
   Age 18+
   Can lawfully possess firearms
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I signed up as a FPC plaintiff

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Californiacation = Nevada gun owners expecting their elected officials who are outnumbered to keep things the way they are. Perhaps the Presidential election wasn’t enough of a wake up call that the Republican Party is out dated and needs to be more pro active.

There was zero chance of stopping this bill from passing with democrats in charge without lots of activism pointing out how poorly worded the law is, and popular opinion wins. Ban ghost guns because we heard about ghost guns on the news and those are bad. Plus mass shootings in Nevada. Goodbye 80% lowers. Not California’s fault. Just a bunch of lazy Nevadans who don’t want to put in the effort to make an impact. Plus there are a lot of New York plates driving around Reno.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Californiacation = Nevada gun owners expecting their elected officials who are outnumbered to keep things the way they are. Perhaps the Presidential election wasn’t enough of a wake up call that the Republican Party is out dated and needs to be more pro active.

There was zero chance of stopping this bill from passing with democrats in charge without lots of activism pointing out how poorly worded the law is, and popular opinion wins. Ban ghost guns because we heard about ghost guns on the news and those are bad. Plus mass shootings in Nevada. Goodbye 80% lowers. Not California’s fault. Just a bunch of lazy Nevadans who don’t want to put in the effort to make an impact. Plus there are a lot of New York plates driving around Reno.
View Quote

No, this is definitely California-relo’s fault. They have rapidly outnumbered Nevadans and go right for the politics where the locusts take over whereas Nevadans work for a living and have not been accustomed to having to play defense all the time like the other states where California has invaded and won.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
AB286 has passed in the assembly and senate and is being sent to King Sisolak for his signature. It passed both votes on strict party lines. Be sure to thank your representatives who have sold out to Michael Bloomberg for fucking us over once again. I am planning my exit from theses fucktards nonsense ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top