Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 6:14:49 PM EDT
I am currently looking for some property near Reno or Carson City for vacation property.  I plan on building some small cabins (by myself) and this will be our getaway/retreat and eventually retirement property.  How is this area and Nevada as a whole in regards to building permits?  I know many places don't need permits if the structure is under a certain square footage.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Im pretty sure you are only alowd a 10'×10' box with no electrical or plumbing, and it cant be a residence (living space)
So, good news for your horse!

They are getting pretty crazy up here with permits. Standard homes are requiring sprinklers now and the new WUI codes....wildland fire stuff??  No open eves, fire proof siding, etc. It sucks!
Its tuff, as a general contractor, to explain all this new crap to clients....lol

other option......if you are far enough out in the boonies.....haul building materials at night....what cabin?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There are still some places in Nevada that don't require a building permit but the major metropolitan area's are never going to be among them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang.  It will be on 20-40 acres and should be outside of city proper.  Maybe stick some axles on it and call it a camper trailer?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dang.  It will be on 20-40 acres and should be outside of city proper.  Maybe stick some axles on it and call it a camper trailer?
View Quote
Stay out of Washoe County, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
There is an old saying, "T'is easier to seek forgiveness than permission".

Might apply here?
Don't PO the neighbors and you might not have an issue until the county drone surveillance catches up to you.
Don't put it on a foundation, use skids so it's "Portable".
Also put it back away from the property line.

.02¢
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top