Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 4:26:37 AM EDT
So I've lived in Las Vegas about 3 years now and and I want to join a range. I've been to the Clark County range a couple of times with friends, it's meh. I was going to join Boulder City, but I moved from Henderson to Mountains Edge and it's now 45 minutes from me. What I loved about that range, which I went to twice as a guest, is there long 1,000 yard range with permanent steel targets at 200-1,000 yards. I have an FN SPR .308 I want to start getting proficient with shooting long range. I know Desert Sportmans has a long range available. But does it have steel on it available to shoot? I don't own any steel targets, so if the don't have a permanent setup like Boulder City that is an additional cost. And I don't know how many I could even afford, and how big of a hassle hauling them to a range every time would be. Desert Sportsmans is about half the distance from me as Boulder, but is the range worth it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The only steel I know that's available is on Range 9.  There's one target on each berm (200m-600m).  Last I shot there, the targets needed to be replaced.  That is also the longest range available.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I live 5 minutes from Desert Sportsman, but am am member at Boulder City.  It's a long haul, but worth it to me.  In addition to the steel, I like that there are more / longer bays at Boulder City, and that it's 24x7 access (excluding special events).

I have shot a lot at DS; a good friend of mine is a member there.  Like shotdown said, it's not as long at DS and the targets are like swiss cheese.  There used to be a lot of complaints about range nazis at DS, but maybe that's fixed - I haven't experienced it when shooting with my friend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Range Nazi's have disappeared for the most part.

Steel is there, berms at 650 and 700 now too on range 9

DS is a nice quiet place to enjoy mostly.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I was a member there for years, I let it expire because of the changes to the way they operate.
Its been a few years since I have been there...it used to be an incredible range.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was a member there for years, I let it expire because of the changes to the way they operate.
Its been a few years since I have been there...it used to be an incredible range.
View Quote

Yup...sad really, I enjoyed shooting there for 10+ years. I just find a nice quiet spot in the desert 20-30min north of home these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Problem I find with most of the club ranges , if you work during the week and can only shoot on the weekend , you are SOL as there are " events" that take up most of the range. So unless you participate in one of the events , your shooting options are limited.

Take this weekend for example , BC range closed due to Shot Show media day.

Seems to only be worth it , if you can shoot during the week.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Problem I find with most of the club ranges , if you work during the week and can only shoot on the weekend , you are SOL as there are " events" that take up most of the range. So unless you participate in one of the events , your shooting options are limited.

View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The only steel I know that's available is on Range 9.  There's one target on each berm (200m-600m).  Last I shot there, the targets needed to be replaced.  That is also the longest range available.
View Quote

Hmm, I'm down for SHOT, anyone know who to talk to at Desert Sportsman about getting replacement targets? I sell up to 1" AR500, which ranges really seem to like. It'll take a 50 BMG at 100 yards and laugh it off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bingo!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!

True.

I will say that at DSRPC I've always been able to get a short range ( 50yds, rifle, pistol, shotgun) on the weekends.

I know the OP is looking for some distance which could be more of a snag on weekends.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top