Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2012 10:15:19 AM EDT
2 walmarts the NW one and the central one are out of all common ammo and any semi auto rifles.

Silver state, they have not had much in recent years but they were out of all black rilfes and had a ok selection of non bulk ammo.

Maccabbe arms out of most semi rifles sans like 5 or so like an SP1 and I think a mini 14. No bulk ammo but plenty semi pistols.  NO mags at all.

What have your observations been?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Bizarre sold every black rifle on the shelf.  Must be nice.  Was in USFA, second day in the panic buy, Mark was selling lowers guy asks him how much and Mark says $199 guy says ILL TAKE TWO .  Two days later go back to USFA and still packed and guy asks Mark how much for a lower, he says $299, guy still buys. (kinda neat to think like USFA has the only big supply of lowers in the USA, lol)  Saw a guy the first time in the store saying he just needed to buy one before the ban but knew nothing about them.  About 1.5k in rifle and another almost 1k in accessories later he seems to be content he "got one of them rifles that are gonna be banned".  Sold him on the EOTech, which I was kinda like huh, considering the dude was older.  I would have sold him on the ACOG since it was apparent we wasn't saying no to any thing stacked on that rifle.  

I like USFA though. Mark is really nice and actually took the time to look at a ring I had commissioned over at Hart's Fine Jewelry next door even though he was busy.  Jeff Hart, the owner of Hart's Fine Jewelry, is FUCKING AMAZING and loves stones and guns like we do.  They are armed to the teeth in that store, so stop in and talk guns and buy something from him for the wife.  Also, if you need a ring or something I'll go down with you since I have yet to see Jeff not cut a great deal for friends.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Three full time retail guns shops in town.

Plus Big 5, China-Mart, ACE Hardware, and a part time gun shop specializing in Cowboy guns.

Monday there was not a single center-fire black rifle with detachable mag to be found anywhere.

By Thursday at least one shop had AR type's they assembled from parts back in stock, but at double the pre-panic price.
They are loaded up with free-float rails, CAR stocks, etc.
They still had a few left this morning.
So guns ARE out there, if you are willing to pay enough.

Parts ordered before the panic will eventually be delivered, some vendors will jack up the prices even for pre-paid items.
More guns will trickle into the market as long they are able, at inflated prices.

What I find amazing is that every on-line parts seller is out of just about every part imaginable!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Went by Silver State on Saturday after spending a couple of hours at the Crossroads show.
Spoke with Joe and he said as soon as the news had started mentioning talk of a renewed AWB...the madness started.

Crossroads show was an afterthought...have never really been a fan of that show.
Went with a friend who had never been, so more like going to observe the hysteria.
First time I actually had fun at that show.

Insane prices on ammo, hi-cap mags (especially AR 30-rd.) and the prices for ARs...YIKES!!!
Not many people buying guns, but LOTS of ammo and mags flying out the door.

My friend is kinda new to ARs and we found a guy who was selling actual G.I. mags with minor wear-n-tear.
We dug through the pile and found 10 solid mags for my buddy at $16/ea...I advised my friend to get on Midway and get self-leveling followers and braided wire replacement mag springs and he would be good to go.

P-Mags were going for $50/ea...talk about highway robbery.

The 2 Wally Worlds I frequent...Spanish Springs North Valleys were out of all semi-auto rifles and most .223 and .308 as of last week.
I don't frequent USFA or Bizarre (long story) and while Maccabee has a stellar reputation in town, each time I have been there I have been pretty much ignored...
they seem kinda cliquish (just sayin').

I do most of my buying at Silver State and Carson Armory...sometimes go to Mark, Fore & Strike, Sportsman's and Scheel's.
The rest of my $$$ are usually spent at Midway or MidSouth Shooters.

For those of us who lived through the Clinton regime's efforts to diminish our 2A rights, lessons learned.

I do anticipate that the panic will continue well into 2013...dependent on what the Head Mooslim says in January as it pertains to our 2A rights.
Although...have you noticed that already the news and fervor has become stale?
I do not know if this is a good thing or bad, we shall see...

Keep The High Ground,

G

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been to several of the stores mentioned above and there is nothing to see.  Literally.  The fella at Macabee said he has some on order but who knows if it will get there or when.  It really sucks that they (all of them) are jacking prices.  It's like eating your own.  I saw 7.62x39 at Cabelas last week for $3.99 and now it's $5.99 for the Herter's stuff.  Works fine but knowing you can, or could, get it for under $3 if you paid attention is a drag.  

I have noticed the drop in the fervor, but don't be fooled.  Feinstein is tooling up and the libs are hoping we stay quiet.  I've written Harry a few times; it will be interesting to see what he has to say, if anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Not only are we out, we can't get any more. Of anything. At all.
.357 mag revolver? Nope.

.22 Marlin or Ruger? Nope.

Bizarre Guns didn't just have the stock you saw on the wall in there. That was about 20% of their stock, with a significant portion held downstairs in the vault. Last time I visited, they had multiple cases of Pmags in all colors as well as multiple cases of GI mags. Sunday...Next to nothing.

Things are fucked up for the foreseeable future.

I have a buddy with an FFL who has been ramping up to produce AR receivers for some time. His license cleared last week and his G3 project (uppers to match the CMMG G3 AR10 lowers) has just about been completed and then they are looking at jumping into AR15s full bore. If they can forgings. Otherwise they may tool up to do billets (something they already have the CNC programs for). All is not lost in every direction, but shit is fucked up in most.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
WATCH THIS SPACE!

Examining some possibilities in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
At least you guys have it better than we do.  Walmart is sold out of  EVERYTHING including 12 GA 100 rd value packs.  It is beyond crazy here in Vegas!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I stopped by Mark Fore and they were pretty much cleaned out of any type of black gun. I watched at least three get sold in the 20 minutes I was there. They had quite a backstock at one point and said it was all gone.

I have a bad feeling about this one boys and girls. I hope I am wrong and we are back to some kind of normalcy in a few months but I just dont know.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Have seen the same.  All gun shops empty of mags, AW type rifles, 5.56mm ammo.  Have not checked Wally World but not really interested in shopping there.  Have always gone the U.S. Firearms Academy,  Mark is a great guy or Bizarre Guns, I also like John the manager.  Glad I did all my panic buying 4 years ago and also right after they lifted the 1st AW bill.  Good luck to everyone looking for any firearms, ammo, etc.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bizarre has a lot of parts. Castle nuts, buffer tubes, springs. That sort of thing. I bought two spikes tactical standard lower parts kit (non panic price) from them the other day, they still have some cmmg and more spikes lpks as of the time I was there. There hidden in that shelf under the magpul stuff towards the back of the store so most people don't see them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Scheels has some ammo and bolt guns.  A full selection of glocks.   That is it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Is 40 still on the shelves at these places? Last time something came up 40 was available and nothing else. I'm hoping it comes back to normal as the ban legislation seems too far left right now. I could see them letting magazines be banned but not full rifles.  I saw panic buying when I sold a complete lower for $500 and the guy didn't hesitate to pull the full amount out of his pocket when I said I'm pretty firm on price. Eno of the month bills.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I stopped by Mark Fore and they were pretty much cleaned out of any type of black gun. I watched at least three get sold in the 20 minutes I was there. They had quite a backstock at one point and said it was all gone.

I have a bad feeling about this one boys and girls. I hope I am wrong and we are back to some kind of normalcy in a few months but I just dont know.

Well, manufacturers were in the middle of slowing things down from the post-Clinton ban expiration market jump. We saw prices drop pretty far to the point where new AR15's could be purchased at any time for under $600. Ammunition really never returned to anything like "normal," perhaps because of raw material prices and continuous military operations. I think that the U.S. civi market had just about stabilized into a long-term supply/demand volume balance (i.e. the rate of manufacturing, distribution, and sales per month) when this happened.

Parts and magazine manufacturers only have so much flexibility in terms of production volume. Right now you can bet they are boosting supply as much as they can in order to meet the 1+ years' worth of demand that showed up inside of a 2-week period. Assume that demand will be higher for some time period as people think they need more product. This will taper, and the price floors will be mostly determined by how manufacturers decide to alter medium-term production rates. Last time, they overshot it and there was a lot of surplus product on the market for a couple years. Some manufacturing processes which are easily scalable in terms of machinery or speed (like Magpul) will allow production cost and supply to remain more or less stable. Other processes which require additional investments in raw materials or expertise (perhaps anything with a lot of stages or machining operations) could definitely result in slower delivery and higher prices for the mid-term (1-2 years).

As far as the next couple of months, the real question is how much more liquidity is going to come out of the woodwork?

The wild card is if any legislation actually gets passed, how restrictive it is, and how the 10's of millions of gun owners react to it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Here's some funny stuff...........in the Nevada Appeal, the local Carson City Fish Wrapper/Bird Cage Floor Liner.
 Bushmaster AR 15, Excellent condition....$2,500
 Old Colt AR15, 70's manufacture....$1,800
 And the winner is..........Magpul, Pmag 30 rd, mag., new........$75.00
 How many shall we put you down for???
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
As of about 1pm on 1/4/13 Cabela's had two or three DPMS Oracles in .308.  They had 4 or 5 when I got there.  Said they had a batch of .223's (don't know what kind) that flew out the door in about 20 minutes this morning.  Said the best thing to do is call right at opening time and drop everything if they say they have something. Scheel's has a waiting list but is no longer taking names because they don't know when they'll get stock.  U.S. Firearms Academy and Macabee had some higher end pieces out of my range.  So it goes...
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Sportsman's Warehouse was out of my powders, damnit!  No .223 or 5.56 ammo that I noticed.  The pistol wall looked thinner than usual.  Almost no magazines in the place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Scheel's has a waiting list but is no longer taking names because they don't know when they'll get stock.

Scheel's "waiting list" is a waste of time even during normal times. Twice (before the mania) I've been on their "list", once for a Ruger SR1911, and again for an M1A Scout model, and they never contacted me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got some coworkers who are firearm noobs possibly coming with for the Action Pistol match at the Palomino range tomorrow. Based on my observations at local places, I told them to buy "whatever" and I'd swap them out for the caliber they want to shoot at the match. 9mm seems to be non-existant on shelves right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I disagree with the comment on the Scheels waiting list - my girlfriend added her name and they called her six days ago when they received .308 caliber ar's (we passed) and two days ago when they received 5.56 caliber AR's (we purchased).  Might not work for everyone but did for us.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got some coworkers who are firearm noobs possibly coming with for the Action Pistol match at the Palomino range tomorrow. Based on my observations at local places, I told them to buy "whatever" and I'd swap them out for the caliber they want to shoot at the match. 9mm seems to be non-existant on shelves right now.

Pretty sure both matches are canceled this weekend
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#21]
USFA has "plenty" of Battle Born receivers at $299. They expect to have complete rifles in about 8 weeks.

A stuffmart employee told me that they are not carrying .223 or 7.62x39 because they have been asked not to, due to "problems" presumably gang related in this area. Couldn't tell me what agency made the request but mentioned a 150 mile radius. That speaks to either jurisdiction or cooperation. It isn't just a shortage.

ETA: another employee has told me the inventory system isn't accepting orders for many "popular" calibers. When they are out, they won't be re-stocking until corporate unlocks it again. Maybe manufacturers can get more elsewhere than they are willing to pay?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, my response has been to look into firing up the CNC to make billet lowers.
My CAD guy says no problem, we will see.

If it works out I intend to avoid sharp corners wherever possible.

Have to finish the current mag adapter run first but that's no real delay as the AR lower programs still have to be finalized for my operating system.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The last time I was in mark fore & strike they quoted me something like $75 for a transfer and $100 if it was something they could order. That was a long time ago, and I'd rather give the local guy the business but they lost me there. Makes me that much more thankful for USFA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
For transfers consider Weaver Arms in Reno.

Good guy, local, does NFA stuff as well. $20 for a regular transfer, $50 for NFA items.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The last time I was in mark fore & strike they quoted me something like $75 for a transfer and $100 if it was something they could order. That was a long time ago, and I'd rather give the local guy the business but they lost me there. Makes me that much more thankful for USFA.

I don't know how MF&S stays in business unless some old timers get handsome discounts.  I know I went there looking for decoys several years ago and they were at least twice what I get them for elsewhere.  I do get some maps there, but they are old and outdated.  Luckily, not much changes in the outback of Nevada.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
They stay in business becaus they are excellent business people.

They own their stock, stock a lot of stuff that nobody else does,  have more collective knowledge than anywhere I have been.

I know they are not popular because of their pricing but they are not going anywhere
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Mark fore and strike had ammo and handguns plis a $2999.00 varmit AR.  
I hate the prices but at least they are professional and polite.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure both matches are canceled this weekend

Yup. We went out and shot in the hills instead.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They stay in business becaus they are excellent business people.

They own their stock, stock a lot of stuff that nobody else does,  have more collective knowledge than anywhere I have been.

I know they are not popular because of their pricing but they are not going anywhere

Four years ago I was told by the staff behind the gun counter (at MF&S) that they make every effort to have some of everything on hand, its up to the consumer if they choose to  pay the price.  I think they wanted $6 for a box of 100 primers, but they did have almost every brand and style of primer behind the counter.

In my neck of the woods (80 miles north of Reno) two guys got in a bidding war for an already overpriced ($1200) AR-15... rifle sold for $2300.  I think it was a plain jane DPMS, but was the last one on the shelf.

Couldn't find the powder i was looking for in sportsman's, ended up ordering it online this morning for a decent price but haz-mat fees are outrageous.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I do not mean to date myself, but I do very much remember the last AWB in 1994, and it was nothing like this.  Nor have I ever seen anything like this.  Yesterday I spent all day visiting all of the major gunshops in Reno and Carson City and all were sold out of all black rifles, handguns, shotguns, magazines, and ammunition (9mm, 45. ACP. 40 S&W, .223, and .308) was all gone, and I mean gone!  Even the .22LR ammunition is gone.

I have spent a lot of time on the Internet, and it is the same story.  I  addition to this, nationally, there are gun shows being canceled, shooting training classes either being completely canceled, postponed, or announcing a revised class with a “…reduced round count.”  On the Internet there is not a magazine for a black rifle or handgun to be had, nothing, and I mean nothing!  

All of the Internet major bulk ammunition vendors have either shut down their websites, or have no or very limited supplies of ammunition.  What ammunition is available is now 2X more expensive.  Example: on one Internet bulk ammunition vendor that I have been buying from for years, just before all this SHTF (December 1, 2012), I bought 1,000 rounds of PMC Bronze 9mm ammunition for $199 (on sale with 102 cases in stock).  The other day I visited this same vendor, and this same 1,000 rounds of PMC Bronze 9mm ammunition was $425 with two in stock.  I went back to this same vendor about one hour later and “Sorry, Sold Out.”  

I have an in-law that is in Federal Law Enforcement (Department Firearms' Training Officer) and he called me to ask me where he could buy some 9mm and .40S&W ammunition for an upcoming handgun qualifying session because the three vendors that he was buying ammunition from all canceled his orders and he now had no ammunition to train his officers with!  Apprentely even he could not buy any ammunition.  I told him sorry, looks like he and his officers are SOL!

And of course, stories like this explain everything!  http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-mulls-broader-gun-control-washington-post-154313906--finance.html

A good example of the public panic and hysteria that is going on out there. Even law enforcement is getting it!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/police-banned-from-dennys-illinois_n_2402705.html  

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I was in Salt Lake fri and sat. I went to three different sporting goods store looking for a new scope.

The first one was a store like Mark Fore & Strike. It was almost a mob mentallity in there. The second store was Cabelas and it was almost as bad. There was some old woman that walked up next to me, she looked like a bag lady and she was looking for a Semi Auto also.
I also went to Scheels and all it had was Bolt Rifles left. I was going to check out the pistols and decided to get my Scope and leave.

Sat I was looking for a Fish store and found some convention center that was having a Gun Show and the parking lot and surrounding area was over packed with vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, after seeing recent post here I decided to run to the local store that I knew had some stock.
Can't ship guns without test firing first.

No 9mm except one box of defense loads at $50.00!

Russian 7.62x39 FMJ $9.00 box.
.45 acp $24.00 to $45.00 box.

Still had a pretty good selection of hunting ammo.

Looks like I need to get my Dillon press tuned up, and more caliber sets too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Components are just as scarce.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes they are there is very little out there.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Components are just as scarce.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I have some primers and lots of brass.
Going to need bullets.

My main response to the current panic is to complete some projects I had already started but not been in hurry for.
STEN Mk.V will be done this week, need an UZI receiver but may have found a couple.
Making some 9mm suppressed barrels to fit AR uppers and saving one for myself.
Grabbing a couple of UZI mags while they are still cheap, have to modify some for the AR in 9mm and .45.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#36]
So is it safe to say that the Northern Nevada area is out of damn near everything.

Sans the occasional "just stocked" items at of course higher prices.

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So is it safe to say that the Northern Nevada area is out of damn near everything.

Sans the occasional "just stocked" items at of course higher prices.

Pretty much.

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#38]
As of this morning I know one local store had five AR's, three AR lowers, and two AK variants on the wall for sale.

Also an FAL and some other black guns.

Some are consigned to rake in the big $$$$$, some assembled from parts since the panic from pieces ordered before everything evaporated.

The AR's start at $1600.00

If you have the bucks and do not mind being scalped guns are still available.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmm, well I'm holding out my secret ammo buying source. It still has tons of 40, 9mm and 45 for pre panic prices.  No, I'm not telling unless you take me with you to clear them out together, 50/50.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Sportsmans has full racks!

Sure, they all fudd guns, but the racks are full.

/Ammo and componants are still wiped out

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I got powder and primers at Sportsman's today.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Is that why they were wiped out?

Honestly, I didn't look that close at components, I just saw lots of holes on the primer shelf.

Scheels is out of the typical ammo, has no scary black guns, and has gen II Pmags for $25, limit two. Probably thirty on the endcap I saw.

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Scheels had PMags for $25, limit 2, and PMC 5.56 for $10, limit 5.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, I feel bad for not sharing:

The indian wal-mart still has 10+ boxes of PPU 9mm and plenty of HP rounds too.  14.97 per box of PPU and HP for 20-23 per 20 and winchester silver tip for $30 per 50.

They are the only ones with a steady supply that isn't bought out.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Someone better jump on this deal quick!

http://reno.craigslist.org/spo/3538239897.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that why they were wiped out?

Honestly, I didn't look that close at components, I just saw lots of holes on the primer shelf.

Scheels is out of the typical ammo, has no scary black guns, and has gen II Pmags for $25, limit two. Probably thirty on the endcap I saw.

Powder came in Wednesday.  Walked in and bought some 22LR ammo and a pound of HP-38 just to have in case everything dries up even more.  Time to start making lighter reloads and making this pound last longer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lots of WTF there...
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#48]
WOW, I better look in my reloading drawer.
Pretty sure I have lots of primers in sizes I do not use.

Maybe I'm rich and don't know it!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of WTF there...

I'M RICH!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#50]

IF you bought all that I'll be the first to call you a dick.

EDIT: YOU are the reason they put limits on this.  If you do competitions every weekend I'd understand buying that many pistol primers.  If you're "stocking up" it's not helping ANYONE when people buy this much and feed the panic monster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top