Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2011 7:05:00 AM EDT
If you're having computer problems do NOT go to Geek Squad.  Those bastards will force you to buy a protection package you don't really need and then, when they figure out what work needs to be done they'll try to charge you extra to actually DO it.  Fuckers!!!  

P.S.  People who write viruses should be hunted down and castrated with rusty knives.....................................................then shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you're having computer problems do NOT go to Geek Squad.  Those bastards will force you to buy a protection package you don't really need and then, when they figure out what work needs to be done they'll try to charge you extra to actually DO it.  Fuckers!!!  

P.S.  People who write viruses should be hunted down and castrated with rusty knives.....................................................then shot.

True Story.
+1
Fuck Them.....In The Neck!
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

P.S.  People who write viruses should be hunted down and castrated with rusty knives hammer.....................................................then shot.

Yg
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup... Went in to get a quote to replace my PC cause UPS damaged my computer shipping it. They wanted a quote to replace with comparable model from a known source. The geek weenies said they could take it and tear it down for $50 and tell me. All I wanted was a piece of paper with a quote was that too hard! Yup it was they cannot use pens and right numbers. I even told the dumbass what parts were in it cause I built the freakin thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No doubt!!!!    

This ain't 'steal somebody's bike' - crime against one person stuff. Think about how many man-hours, data, production, etc. are lost every year to these idiots. Forget shooting them - Hang' um from a lamp post and put a webcam up for the other idiots to watch their buddies rot....
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

YES, starting with the stutznet authors.

Just update your computer, don't open stupid emails, and don't go to places on the net that you wouldn't want your mom to see...

....oh, and don't download stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
agree on the virus writers.  

no experience with geek squad.  my dad had them come out and help with some tech shit at his office once or twice and had good things to say.  Said he got a full on horn-rimmed geek that knew his shit, squared him away and did it at a reasonable cost.  

Haji Joe is my go-to geek.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES, starting with the stutznet authors.

Just update your computer, don't open stupid emails, and don't go to places on the net that you wouldn't want your mom to see...
....oh, and don't download stupid stuff.

Hell, that would mean I couldn't even come HERE.

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know, most viruses are written by Virus protect software companies.  They will normally find a good hacker, then pay him to consistently update there code, making you the end user have to keep buying their product.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, most viruses are written by Virus protect software companies.  They will normally find a good hacker, then pay him to consistently update there code, making you the end user have to keep buying their product.

I think you have your tin foil on too tight
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the possibility that could be true has my wife and I already scraping together pennies so we can go buy a Mac.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have first hand knowledge of this.  No tin foil hat here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the possibility that could be true has my wife and I already scraping together pennies so we can go buy a Mac.

Macs have viruses to, dont fool yourself.  The issue is there are more viruses written for Windows because of user percentage.  There were a lot of hackers pissed off when mac made the commercial saying they dont get viruses, and you will notice, they pulled it off the air fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who/what is your source?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who/what is your source?

This makes no sense.  Any lay person can use the Social Engineering Toolkit and make their own virus that will go undetected through ANY definition based virus scanner.  I have evaluated all of the major vendors and have proven this.

http://www.social-engineer.org/framework/Computer_Based_Social_Engineering_Tools:_Social_Engineer_Toolkit_%28SET%29

Virus scanners are security theater.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who/what is your source?

This makes no sense.  Any lay person can use the Social Engineering Toolkit and make their own virus that will go undetected through ANY definition based virus scanner.  I have evaluated all of the major vendors and have proven this.

http://www.social-engineer.org/framework/Computer_Based_Social_Engineering_Tools:_Social_Engineer_Toolkit_%28SET%29

I didn't see a single VIRUS on that site, only exploits.  
Maybe that's why your VIRUS scanner did not pick up on them......

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that were the case they would charge you for all those weekly updates.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of bogus information people hear and repeat.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who/what is your source?

I didn't see a single VIRUS on that site, only exploits.  
Maybe that's why your VIRUS scanner did not pick up on them......

Of course not.  The tool will write and customize a VIRUS that will go through the VIRUS scanners.  Whether a trojaned exe, or a pdf with an exploit, they are all VIRUS's.  The key is that it is custom obfuscated for you.  VIRUS scanners work mainly on scanning for pre-defined code.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course not.  The tool will write and customize a VIRUS that will go through the VIRUS scanners.  Whether a trojaned exe, or a pdf with an exploit, they are all VIRUS's.  The key is that it is custom obfuscated for you.  VIRUS scanners work mainly on scanning for pre-defined code.

No they are not, viruses self replicate... that's the basic defining feature of a virus

Virus scanners mostly do signature based detection (or as you called pre-defined code)  but any decent scanner now has heuristic based approaches to find variations of existing viruses

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
agree on the virus writers.  

no experience with geek squad.  my dad had them come out and help with some tech shit at his office once or twice and had good things to say.  Said he got a full on horn-rimmed geek that knew his shit, squared him away and did it at a reasonable cost.  

Haji Joe is my go-to geek.

Shit, I use Google.

and ExpertSexchange.com .. true story.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they are not, viruses self replicate... that's the basic defining feature of a virus

Virus scanners mostly do signature based detection (or as you called pre-defined code)  but any decent scanner now has heuristic based approaches to find variations of existing viruses

Well, yes, to make it a true VIRUS, you would have to add a couple of lines of shell code.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread is concentrated computer fail... taking computers to the Geek squad, anti-virus company conspiracy, running to Apple because it's safer...

Perhaps we should stick to talking about guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread is concentrated computer fail... taking computers to the Geek squad, anti-virus company conspiracy, running to Apple because it's safer...

Can we talk about wanting to use our guns on the Geek Squad?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Heck I build my computer anymore and  I can get just about anything I don't want off of it.  May take a little while, but I got burned at a computer shop in Oklahoma and at that point I decided to do my own work.  

I always start at PCHELL.com.  Good place to remember.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am with this guy
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#25]
If you run firefox with noscript, and keep your flash and java updated (or uninstall flash and java), then you are pretty safe.  

Best trick to clean a PC is to plus the infected drive into a known clean PC (as a non boot drive, obviously) and scan it there, or find some CD-based virus scanners.

It's not hard to do it yourself, it just takes time.

Keith
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
If  any of  you need some help with your PC/Laptops I would be glad to help, been building them and black guns since the early 80's
email me and we will see what I can do to help.... advice is free

DW
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top