Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:54:02 AM EDT
Anyone know if it's legal, or requires a permit? A friend just asked me to go up there with a chainsaw and start cutting stuff. I couldn't find anything via Google. And the last thing I want to do is cause, or get into, trouble.  Personally, I'd just buy it at the store, as little as one would use here in LV. But, I help my friends, so if I must, I will.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as i know its no bueno. If he need fire wood go buy it from the guy off nellis and carey. Cheap price and good quality
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Nevada Division of Forestry Southern Region Headquarters 4747 West Vegas Drive Las Vegas, Nevada 89108 Business Phone (702) 486-5123 Fax Phone (702) 486-5186 Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm M – F
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Merely picking up deadfall can get you busted!

Wood thieves cut a couple of trees down near a dirt road and left the branches lying around.
Few weeks later some old lady decided to pick some up for kindling = Busted.

The FS Cops don't get around to "Investigating" until after noon, the wood thieves are DONE by 9:00 am, 10:00 at the latest.
But little old ladies picking up scraps are easy targets.

You are probably not a little old lady, but unless you play it like the professional wood thieves, you will also be an easy target.

The FS/BLM used to issue wood cutting permits, you have to cut in their designated area to remain legal.
Wood thieves cut anywhere, including private property.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for helping get out of a chore and stay outa the clink!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It's largely irrelevant, since campfires are prohibited in the Mt. Charleston Wilderness areas. And even if they weren't, this time of year is too dry and windy up there to responsibly have a campfire.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Mt. Charleston is mostly US Forest Service, not Nevada D of Forestry.  you'll have to contact the local office for the Humbolt-Toiyabe.

IIRC the NDF was doing a bunch of fuel break cutting on the Parhump side in Trout Canyon,  probably give them a call and ask if they have any collection over there.

the BLM will be doing some Ponderosa Pine stand improvement projects near Caliente towards the end of July.  they usually auction off the fire wood from the projects.   contact the Caliente BLM office to see what they are doing this go round.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the added info. The firewood was for a friend to use with her bbq thing, not campfires.  I'm a spoiled old buzzard. RV or die.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top