Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 11:38:23 AM EDT
Does anybody know of any good people to install a new water heater in Vegas?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always installed mine myself, so unfortunately I can't give you a referral.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Curt's Home Repairs, LLC
(702) 880 8115

My old neighbor when we lived in Vegas.  

Good guy, does quality work, and is affordable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Monte at A-Better Plumbing last summer when ours failed.  He did good work and his price was reasonable. I think it was $800ish installed. Obviously, you can buy one cheaper, and install it yourself, but I don't like to worry about stuff like that.

http://www.plumbcrazy4plumbing.com/
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Not that hard to do. Easy do it yourself job. But id be glad to do it for$ 300 plus expences. :-D
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't one need a builiding permit to install a water heater? We thought about doing it ourself but the whole building permit thing got us thinking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Doesn't one need a builiding permit to install a water heater? We thought about doing it ourself but the whole building permit thing got us thinking.

So I heard too, but I just did it myself.I think now they want a trap before the gas valve and earthquake straps. The worst part is moving the old one and getting the new one up there., any other questions p.m. I'd prolly do it for a 20 pack Michelob Ultra bottles
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

do you need a building permit to replace your fridge, dishwasher or washer and dryer? you're not "building" anything new, just replacing an appliance. how much time would getting a permit add to the turn around on having how water again? would you want to wait a week before you could take a hot shower?

the hard part about DIY is getting the old one out to the curb... simply because even after you drain it the old one is heavy.

i've replaced a few and if someone in the SE needs there's done i'd be happy to help.

last year mine started leaking, i replaced it and then had a friend who's water heater did the same thing a week later, so we did his too.

Republic Services will haul away the old one, just put it out on the curb.

i recommend using the braided stainless flex supply lines, however when i replaced mine  the stainless lines wouldn't make the turns they needed to make, so i had to use the braided nylon flex lines. all the supply lines for my toilets and sinks are upgraded to stainless flex with 1/4 turn ball valves.  i've seen the copper flex lines develop leaks before. better to upgrade that stuff all at once and reduce the chance of coming home to a soggy floor.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]

don't they make plastic water heaters?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
do you need a building permit to replace your fridge, dishwasher or washer and dryer? you're not "building" anything new, just replacing an appliance. how much time would getting a permit add to the turn around on having how water again? would you want to wait a week before you could take a hot shower?

Nope but they are required for water heaters.
http://dsnet.co.clark.nv.us/dsweb/gotpermits_pg4.html#FAQ3

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're planning on selling the house it needs to be up to code, otherwise do it yourself.  No permit required.  Getting a permit and hiring a pro will cost you extra because they changed the requirement for the earthquake straps.  You'll not only pay for the heater, you'll pay for that upgrade too.

Whichever way you decide to go, do NOT let the plumber supply the water heater.  He'll tack on a minimum of 20% to the price of the unit.  Go down on Highland to either AZ Partsmaster or or Ideal Supply Co.  (AZ is less than a block North of Discount Firearms on the same side of the street.)  These were the two main suppliers we used when I was with Roto-Rooter.

Second everyone else's opinion on doing it yourself.  If I can do it, anyone can.  The one thing to remember, make sure to use Plumber's Putty on the joints and not teflon tape.  The tape will dry out, crack and start leaking.  The only sticking point would be if your supply lines are solder joints instead of threaded.  In that case I'd consider hiring a pro.  Otherwise, it just a few fittings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought one from Home Depot and paid a little extra to have it delivered, installed, and the old one hauled away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Call AZ Partsmaster before going . They charge different price for a buisness than they do for  a residential customer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Whew..... I'm out, Peace !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top