Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2010 12:39:36 AM EDT
My neighbor's house was burglarized on Friday, the 20th.

Two bricks through the back patio door windows about 12:30 pm (broad daylight). They came in through the broken windows, and left through the front door (go figure). The homeowners were gone for about an hour and 45 minutes. The house was ransacked (especially the master bedroom). Some very valuable items were stolen, and some other items of value were either left behind or not found by the pukes (maybe something spooked them).

These are elderly people and they are terrified now.

ETA: See what's going on in your neighborhood. http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, some people are a waste of good air.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
At 15% unemployment, we can expect this to happen more often and in more neighborhoods...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My rear slider was broken out while I was at work several days ago.  Fortunately, my two bulldogs were on duty that day and put a quick stop to that nonsense.  One of the scumbags lost his shoe in the process and it was proudly on display when I got home.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My rear slider was broken out while I was at work several days ago.  Fortunately, my two bulldogs were on duty that day and put a quick stop to that nonsense.  One of the scumbags lost his shoe in the process and it was proudly on display when I got home.

A big ass dog is better than any burglar alarm Ive ever seen!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Did the police respond?  Did they investigate? or merely take a report.

I keep wondering about the cases that are solved vs the numbers of robberies.

Tony Wright
www.wrightfornevada.com
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a burglary 1 street over from me 5 days ago...
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scot, what area do you live in?

Charleston and 215 area in the heart of Summerlin.  The police didn't come, they sent some young police cadet to take a report.  They didn't take fingerprints or really do anything that would result in a arrest.

What does annoy me is that when my wife got home and found the window busted out, she called 911 and told them what she saw, and also told them she didn't know if the bad guys were still in the house as she left the house right away.  She waited over 20 minutes for someone to get there, and it was a cadet.  In Northtown you would have had five squad cars there in moments. What if it really was a robbery in progress? I'm not a cop so I have no clue how they roll, but I work with the NLVPD daily and they seem to roll deep on this type of call.

Not trying to flame Metro, hopefully some of the guys will join the discussion and explain the situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ETA: See what's going on in your neighborhood. http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/

Bummer, I'm in North town and that link must only work for the Metro area.

And yes - I'm hoping that my BIG ASS DOG (German Shepard) that literally goes bersek if someone even comes near the house has been the reason why I haven't been buglarized yet.  Knock on wood!

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did the police respond?  Did they investigate? or merely take a report.

I keep wondering about the cases that are solved vs the numbers of robberies.

Tony Wright
www.wrightfornevada.com

My neighbor's situation wasn't a robbery, it was a burglary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charleston and 215 area in the heart of Summerlin.  The police didn't come, they sent some young police cadet to take a report.  They didn't take fingerprints or really do anything that would result in a arrest.

What does annoy me is that when my wife got home and found the window busted out, she called 911 and told them what she saw, and also told them she didn't know if the bad guys were still in the house as she left the house right away.  She waited over 20 minutes for someone to get there, and it was a cadet.  In Northtown you would have had five squad cars there in moments. What if it really was a robbery in progress? I'm not a cop so I have no clue how they roll, but I work with the NLVPD daily and they seem to roll deep on this type of call.

Not trying to flame Metro, hopefully some of the guys will join the discussion and explain the situation.

That sounds like the same scenario that happened to my neighbor.

He told me a Cadet showed up about 45 minutes after the initial call to Metro. He said the Cadet was very polite and professional, but all the Cadet did was take a report. No prints were taken, and no detailed investigation was conducted.

Funny thing, my neighbor and me live a block from a substation. I can see the substation's parking lot light poles from my driveway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds familiar. Same thing happened to my sister years ago. My dad called me and asked that I go check it out. I arrived before the police so I proceeded to clear the house myself 1911 in hand. When the police finally did show up it was an unarmed cadet. He about crapped himself when he saw me with a holstered gun. First words were , is that loaded? To which I replied, doesn't much good if it isn't. He then asked do you have a permit? To which I showed him my blue card.
He then took a report and left. What a crock.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The low security of a glass sliding back door always worries me....
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Try this:

http://crimeview.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try this:

http://crimeview.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/
Perfect, thanks!

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Robbery or burglary makes no difference,  they broke into the house and stole property.  I just want to know how many LVMPD has solved in the last year.  What have they recovered.  I got hit 2 years ago and have not heard a darn thing,.  And that was with a blood sample.  

I don't hear anything coming from metro on how many they solve.  

I just think it would be good information.

Thanks
Tony Wright
www.wrightfornevada.com
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Robbery or burglary makes no difference,  they broke into the house and stole property.  I just want to know how many LVMPD has solved in the last year.  What have they recovered.  I got hit 2 years ago and have not heard a darn thing,.  And that was with a blood sample.  

I don't hear anything coming from metro on how many they solve.  

I just think it would be good information.

Thanks
Tony Wright
www.wrightfornevada.com

Tony,

It definately makes a difference.

A robbery is a physical crime against a person, whether it be strong arm, or armed. A burglary, although a statutory felony, is a property crime if no one was home/injured during the commission.

I do know this: If I was robbed at gunpoint, a Cadet wouldn't show up to take a report. Actual officers would respond.

I am not sure of the success of solving burglaries (it is probably pretty low), but I am sure that Metro tries a little harder to solve robberies because of the nature of the crime.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I have seen/experienced, it's a low priority for them.
Now if a bad guy sells a baggie of weed to and undercover cop,... we all know how that can turn out  
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From what I have seen/experienced, it's a low priority for them.
Now if a bad guy sells a baggie of weed to and undercover cop,... we all know how that can turn out  

WTF does an OIS have to do with solving a burglary?

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing, just my thought of where their priorities are, Drugs.Thing is, I bet most burglaries are committed by people on drugs, or seeking to steal stuff to get drugs, while the dope dealer may never break into houses, he already found his niche. Who is more dangerous?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nothing, just my thought of where their priorities are, Drugs.Thing is, I bet most burglaries are committed by people on drugs, or seeking to steal stuff to get drugs, while the dope dealer may never break into houses, he already found his niche. Who is more dangerous?

Metro doesnt set priorities on "drugs" persay.  There are detectives who work drugs.  That is what they are assigned to work.  
There are Property Crimes Detectives assigned to each area command.  It is their priority to work burglaries, auto burglaries and other Property crimes.  That is their priority.  
To say that ALL METRO focuses on drugs is just not accurate.  
Cadets are assigned and trained to take reports.  They are not supposed to be sent to a scene where the suspects are still there or possibly still there.  Sometimes this happens but it isnt the way its supposed to happen.  The cadets are there because it frees up POLICE OFFICERS to be out taking enforcement actions.  The cadets are used as a cost cutting measure.  
For clearance statistics for each area commands property crimes detectives you could probably contact their sgt if you re that curious.  The capt of each individual area command would definetely have those numbers.
Robberies and Property crimes are investigated differently and Robberies given a higher priority due to the violent nature of robberies.  (Home Invasions are a burglary where the homeowner is home at the time of the burglary are also given high priority.)
All in all I'd say metro does a pretty good job considering that in the valley they average almost 5000 calls for service a day.  When you figure that they have maybe 15 patrol officers per area command, per shift with 7 area commands up and running, that breaks down to about 15 calls per patrol officer per day.  Those guys are busy as hell and dont get anywhere near enough credit for the great job they do.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Home Invasions are a burglary where the homeowner is home at the time of the burglary...

That is not correct.

Burglary:

NRS 205.060  Burglary: Definition; penalties; venue.

1.  A person who, by day or night, enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other building, tent, vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, with the intent to commit grand or petit larceny, assault or battery on any person or any felony, or to obtain money or property by false pretenses, is guilty of burglary.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person convicted of burglary is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 10 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000. A person who is convicted of burglary and who has previously been convicted of burglary or another crime involving the forcible entry or invasion of a dwelling must not be released on probation or granted a suspension of sentence.

3.  Whenever a burglary is committed on a vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, in motion or in rest, in this State, and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car traveled during the time the burglary was committed.

4.  A person convicted of burglary who has in his or her possession or gains possession of any firearm or deadly weapon at any time during the commission of the crime, at any time before leaving the structure or upon leaving the structure, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.

Invasion of the Home

NRS 205.067  Invasion of the home: Definition; penalties; venue.

1.  A person who, by day or night, forcibly enters an inhabited dwelling without permission of the owner, resident or lawful occupant, whether or not a person is present at the time of the entry, is guilty of invasion of the home.

2.  A person convicted of invasion of the home is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 10 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000. A person who is convicted of invasion of the home and who has previously been convicted of burglary or invasion of the home must not be released on probation or granted a suspension of sentence.

3.  Whenever an invasion of the home is committed on a vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, in motion or in rest, in this State, and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the conveyance, vessel, boat, vehicle, house trailer, travel trailer, motor home or railroad car traveled during the time the invasion was committed.

4.  A person convicted of invasion of the home who has in his or her possession or gains possession of any firearm or deadly weapon at any time during the commission of the crime, at any time before leaving the structure or upon leaving the structure, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.

5.  As used in this section:

(a) “Forcibly enters” means the entry of an inhabited dwelling involving any act of physical force resulting in damage to the structure.

(b) “Inhabited dwelling” means any structure, building, house, room, apartment, tenement, tent, conveyance, vessel, boat, vehicle, house trailer, travel trailer, motor home or railroad car in which the owner or other lawful occupant resides.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 1452; A 1995, 1215)

So the difference is that burglary can occur in any type of structure, and does not require a forcible entry, while a home invasion is specific to inhabited dwellings, requires a forcible entry, but does not require anyone to be at home at the time.

So someone that enters a WalMart and steals $5 worth of anything is committing Petit Larceny and Burglary, while someone that breaks into your home and steal that same $5 worth of stuff is committing Petit Larceny and Invasion of the Home, ie Home Invasion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sounds familiar. Same thing happened to my sister years ago. My dad called me and asked that I go check it out. I arrived before the police so I proceeded to clear the house myself 1911 in hand. When the police finally did show up it was an unarmed cadet. He about crapped himself when he saw me with a holstered gun. First words were , is that loaded? To which I replied, doesn't much good if it isn't. He then asked do you have a permit? To which I showed him my blue card.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you keep from getting shot by the cops, when they do show up and see a guy wandering around a house with a loaded gun in his hand?

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]
What is the cadet going to shoot him with a pencil?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you keep from getting shot by the cops, when they do show up and see a guy wandering around a house with a loaded gun in his hand?

Dude, Please. I myself have encountered quite a few armed homeowners, one of which cornered a suspect on his roof with his Ruger MKII. After asking him if he was comfortable with me holding my pistol on the suspect, I then asked him to put his away.
According to statements like this, a large percentage of good Citizens would be getting shot by the Police. But alas, it doesn't happen. We CAN read people, it's how WE stay alive.
As for property crimes, those Cadets are doing yeomans work out there, . Every time you run up calls pending there are burglary calls holding. That means Cops on report calls. The Sheriff doesn't like Cops on report calls, he wants us out doing high visibility patrol work. Those Cadets are equipped to do minor CSI work, and do it well. We have certain criteria to meet before any CSI-type work is done on a scene ($ amount, solvability, etc). That is why many times we take a report for statistical purposes on our side, and insurance purposes on the victim's.

BTW: Thanks Joe, for clearing that up, people just need to think simple: Robbery is to people/ Burglary is to property.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, Please. I myself have encountered quite a few armed homeowners, one of which cornered a suspect on his roof with his Ruger MKII. After asking him if he was comfortable with me holding my pistol on the suspect, I then asked him to put his away.
According to statements like this, a large percentage of good Citizens would be getting shot by the Police. But alas, it doesn't happen. We CAN read people, it's how WE stay alive.
As for property crimes, those Cadets are doing yeomans work out there, . Every time you run up calls pending there are burglary calls holding. That means Cops on report calls. The Sheriff doesn't like Cops on report calls, he wants us out doing high visibility patrol work. Those Cadets are equipped to do minor CSI work, and do it well. We have certain criteria to meet before any CSI-type work is done on a scene ($ amount, solvability, etc). That is why many times we take a report for statistical purposes on our side, and insurance purposes on the victim's.

BTW: Thanks Joe, for clearing that up, people just need to think simple: Robbery is to people/ Burglary is to property.

Anytime I contact Metro for service I ALWAYS tell the Dispatcher that I am the homeowner, that I am armed (concealed carry), and what I am wearing. When I make physical contact with officers I identify myself, I state that I am the Person Reporting (PR) and that I am armed. I do all of that with hands raised. I have NEVER experienced an attitude or have been asked to be disarmed.

Maybe that's because the officers recognize my name and address when they get dispatched, and they know that I call for real issues and not continually calling for a cat knocking over a trash can (like some people do).

BTW: LVMPDawg
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
My sister was outside and could have informed any responding officers. It took me atleast 30 minutes to get there and I  really wasn't worried about any responders showing up as it was obvious it wasn't a priority on their list otherwise they would have been there already. That and I just didn't think about it. I was more concerned that there might be some a-hole in my sisters house.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Home Invasions are a burglary where the homeowner is home at the time of the burglary...

That is not correct.

Burglary:

1.  A person who, by day or night, enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other building, tent, vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, with the intent to commit grand or petit larceny, assault or battery on any person or any felony, or to obtain money or property by false pretenses, is guilty of burglary.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person convicted of burglary is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 10 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000. A person who is convicted of burglary and who has previously been convicted of burglary or another crime involving the forcible entry or invasion of a dwelling must not be released on probation or granted a suspension of sentence.

3.  Whenever a burglary is committed on a vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, in motion or in rest, in this State, and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car traveled during the time the burglary was committed.

4.  A person convicted of burglary who has in his or her possession or gains possession of any firearm or deadly weapon at any time during the commission of the crime, at any time before leaving the structure or upon leaving the structure, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.

Invasion of the Home

1.  A person who, by day or night, forcibly enters an inhabited dwelling without permission of the owner, resident or lawful occupant, whether or not a person is present at the time of the entry, is guilty of invasion of the home.

2.  A person convicted of invasion of the home is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 10 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000. A person who is convicted of invasion of the home and who has previously been convicted of burglary or invasion of the home must not be released on probation or granted a suspension of sentence.

3.  Whenever an invasion of the home is committed on a vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, in motion or in rest, in this State, and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the conveyance, vessel, boat, vehicle, house trailer, travel trailer, motor home or railroad car traveled during the time the invasion was committed.

4.  A person convicted of invasion of the home who has in his or her possession or gains possession of any firearm or deadly weapon at any time during the commission of the crime, at any time before leaving the structure or upon leaving the structure, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.

(a) “Forcibly enters” means the entry of an inhabited dwelling involving any act of physical force resulting in damage to the structure.

(b) “Inhabited dwelling” means any structure, building, house, room, apartment, tenement, tent, conveyance, vessel, boat, vehicle, house trailer, travel trailer, motor home or railroad car in which the owner or other lawful occupant resides.

So the difference is that burglary can occur in any type of structure, and does not require a forcible entry, while a home invasion is specific to inhabited dwellings, requires a forcible entry, but does not require anyone to be at home at the time.

So someone that enters a WalMart and steals $5 worth of anything is committing Petit Larceny and Burglary, while someone that breaks into your home and steal that same $5 worth of stuff is committing Petit Larceny and Invasion of the Home, ie Home Invasion.

OOPS I FORGOT A WORD TWO AS I WAS TRYING TO BE BRIEF....
"Metro doesnt set priorities on "drugs" persay. There are detectives who work drugs. That is what they are assigned to work.
There are Property Crimes Detectives assigned to each area command. It is their priority to work burglaries, auto burglaries and other Property crimes. That is their priority.
Cadets are assigned and trained to take reports. They are not supposed to be sent to a scene where the suspects are still there or possibly still there. Sometimes this happens but it isnt the way its supposed to happen. The cadets are there because it frees up POLICE OFFICERS to be out taking enforcement actions. The cadets are used as a cost cutting measure.
For clearance statistics for each area commands property crimes detectives you could probably contact their sgt if you re that curious. The capt of each individual area command would definetely have those numbers.
Robberies and Property crimes are investigated differently and Robberies given a higher priority due to the violent nature of robberies. (Home Invasion ROBBERIES  are a burglary where the homeowner is home at the time of the burglary THEREBY BASICALLY BECOMING A ROBBERY are also given high priority.)
All in all I'd say metro does a pretty good job considering that in the valley they average almost 5000 calls for service a day. When you figure that they have maybe 15 patrol officers per area command, per shift with 7 area commands up and running, that breaks down to about 15 calls per patrol officer per day. Those guys are busy as hell and dont get anywhere near enough credit for the great job they do. "

Burglaries and Home Invasions as quoted by JimMayhugh from NRS are handled by burglary.  Home Invasion ROBBERIES are handled by Robbery Detail.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not correct.

Burglary:

Invasion of the Home

OOPS I FORGOT A WORD TWO AS I WAS TRYING TO BE BRIEF....
"Metro doesnt set priorities on "drugs" persay. There are detectives who work drugs. That is what they are assigned to work.
There are Property Crimes Detectives assigned to each area command. It is their priority to work burglaries, auto burglaries and other Property crimes. That is their priority.
Cadets are assigned and trained to take reports. They are not supposed to be sent to a scene where the suspects are still there or possibly still there. Sometimes this happens but it isnt the way its supposed to happen. The cadets are there because it frees up POLICE OFFICERS to be out taking enforcement actions. The cadets are used as a cost cutting measure.
For clearance statistics for each area commands property crimes detectives you could probably contact their sgt if you re that curious. The capt of each individual area command would definetely have those numbers.
Robberies and Property crimes are investigated differently and Robberies given a higher priority due to the violent nature of robberies. (Home Invasion ROBBERIES  are a burglary where the homeowner is home at the time of the burglary THEREBY BASICALLY BECOMING A ROBBERY are also given high priority.)
All in all I'd say metro does a pretty good job considering that in the valley they average almost 5000 calls for service a day. When you figure that they have maybe 15 patrol officers per area command, per shift with 7 area commands up and running, that breaks down to about 15 calls per patrol officer per day. Those guys are busy as hell and dont get anywhere near enough credit for the great job they do. "

Burglaries and Home Invasions as quoted by JimMayhugh from NRS are handled by burglary.  Home Invasion ROBBERIES are handled by Robbery Detail.

You are one smart Motherfucker.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont know bout all that Joe...if I was smarter I wouldnt be killing time on these message boards
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dont know bout all that Joe...if I was smarter I wouldnt be killing time on these message boards

If you were smarter (than me), you would have no time to kill on "Message Boards."

Or, is it wouldn't?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#32]
My home was home invansioned, robbery or burglary Friday afternoon at 3:30.  I was not home but my son heard some nosie on the back patio, looked out kitchen window and saw 2 guys stealing our BBQ. He grabbed his gun and went out the garage door from house, as he did a 3rd guy kicked in the outside garage door and met Ed with a gun in his face. He ran right past the other 2 without saying a word, so son goes out to patio and the other 2 come at him. He fired at them, one shot and they ran like hell. (I ripped his ass for firing a "warning shot") but he felt he was not justified in killing them. They had no weapons and he could'nt shoot them in the back over a BBQ.  We live in Condos so he fired low so it would'nt go thur the nieghbors house. Called 911 and the 4 squad cars where there in 2 min utes.  He told them he lived there, dropped the magazine, put gun on table with blue card & his ID. When he opened the door for the cops, he put his hands on his head and dropped to his knees, they cuffed him till they checked everything out and let him go.  They took a report and told him "good job Kid"  Metro was very respectful to him.   I still ripped him for the warning shot but I was not in his shoes,& the decision to shoot them was his,  so right or wrong , he's still alive.  I think they might of walked by our garage and seen a Merecedes, 2 harleys and 2 mountains bikes,tools and been after those.  Nieghbor chased them down but they ran thru the complex next door and disappeared. He was armed also.   Cimmaron and Charleston area..............LVMPdawg, you got any input, please fire.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My home was home invansioned, robbery or burglary Friday afternoon at 3:30.  I was not home but my son heard some nosie on the back patio, looked out kitchen window and saw 2 guys stealing our BBQ. He grabbed his gun and went out the garage door from house, as he did a 3rd guy kicked in the outside garage door and met Ed with a gun in his face. He ran right past the other 2 without saying a word, so son goes out to patio and the other 2 come at him. He fired at them, one shot and they ran like hell. (I ripped his ass for firing a "warning shot") but he felt he was not justified in killing them. They had no weapons and he could'nt shoot them in the back over a BBQ.  We live in Condos so he fired low so it would'nt go thur the nieghbors house. Called 911 and the 4 squad cars where there in 2 min utes.  He told them he lived there, dropped the magazine, put gun on table with blue card & his ID. When he opened the door for the cops, he put his hands on his head and dropped to his knees, they cuffed him till they checked everything out and let him go.  They took a report and told him "good job Kid"  Metro was very respectful to him.   I still ripped him for the warning shot but I was not in his shoes,& the decision to shoot them was his,  so right or wrong , he's still alive.  I think they might of walked by our garage and seen a Merecedes, 2 harleys and 2 mountains bikes,tools and been after those.  Nieghbor chased them down but they ran thru the complex next door and disappeared. He was armed also.   Cimmaron and Charleston area..............LVMPdawg, you got any input, please fire.

Glad to hear that Eddie is ok.

Still, warning shots are a NO-GO. A firm, verbal warning and an aggressive stance with gun in hand against unarmed individuals would have been just as effective.

He's lucky he wasn't charged with NRS 202.290

NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,

Ê is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 344; RL § 6609; NCL § 10292]—(NRS A 1989, 820, 1240, 1243)

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still, warning shots are a NO-GO. A firm, verbal warning and an aggressive stance with gun in hand against unarmed individuals would have been just as effective.

NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,

[1911 C&P § 344; RL § 6609; NCL § 10292]—(NRS A 1989, 820, 1240, 1243)

Joe,

If your suggested action was taken, and the bad guys continued advancing toward the victim menacingly, would lethal force be justified?
What if they didn't cross the threshold of the door?

I am under the impression it would be a clean shoot. Do case law and past court decisions support this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Hi Vegas Sig,

Was he confronting them over the bbq or attempting to egress the property? NO, they let go of BBQ & came towards him, just one step and changed thier mind and ran after the shot.

So the intruder ran past Ed thru the the house or did an about face? He did a about face......... Does you garage connect to your back patio? YES........ Or did he run around house to the back and past the guys with the bbq?  Did an about face in garage, yes garage connect to patio. Ran out back gate.

After the confrontation in the garage, Ed then went to the patio? YES......... Did Ed pursue the guy that ran out to the patio ending up face to face with the guys with bbq?  No pursue, just went out to patio and ended up face to face with BBQ stealers.  

Sorry for all the questions just trying to make a mental picture. Glad every one is safe.  No problems on questions, I'm just not as smart or experienced as you guys. Thanks for your kind words over us being safe. Terry

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Joe, I didn't realize Ed had emailed you all ready till now. He knew you were gonna rip his ass over warning shot. But besides being STUPID, he did everything else you taught him. He loves you and respects you.   He kept his gun close to his body and was very aggresive with verbal warning but they kept coming till he shot. The 3rd one in the garage ran like a son of a bitch when he saw the gun. Love Terry

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Joe,

If your suggested action was taken, and the bad guys continued advancing toward the victim menacingly, would lethal force be justified?
What if they didn't cross the threshold of the door?

I am under the impression it would be a clean shoot. Do case law and past court decisions support this?

Thanks

Good question Darcy..............That was on Ed's mind cause they didn't seem to be armed,  Thanks Terry

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, just had my neighbor's house hit and someone was in her backyard. Had freaking Metro chopper Jesus beams in my back yard and went to look out the front and sure enough three cars in front of my house instead. Hid the dog, went out to see my neighbor, ran back in to secure my place, and that was the end of the excitement. South Central area, Warm Springs and Bermuda.

Either some punk thought twice or I have a few retarded high school kids nearby that need a butt-stock to the face.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Every day there seems to be more of these stories. Every day I appreciate my Rolladen shutters more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Every day there seems to be more of these stories. Every day I appreciate my Rolladen shutters more.

And my German Shepard!

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My advice to this is to mention the word gun. When the word gun gets used in a 911 call you will have multiple cars show up quick. Don't lie and say you saw a gun or anything like that but mentioning you are afraid someone might be inside with a gun will get their attention. If you are armed yourself you can mention that instead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are those still crazy expensive?  I priced em years ago and they were like 3 Gs a window.
I still want them!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I got them in January last year, and they were doing a special: no labor charge, which saved me about $500. Call them and ask what specials they are doing.

I got 6 windows done for ~$4200...and got $3800 back as an energy rebate off my taxes. And my energy bill is noticeably lower. I totally recommend them!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those still crazy expensive?  I priced em years ago and they were like 3 Gs a window.
I still want them!!

I had my entire home done, all exterior doors and windows and the inner garage door. Total cost was about $20K, but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#46]
It also increases the value of the home as well as the security.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#47]

NRS 202.290 Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1. Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2. Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,

Well an aggressive stance and verbal were NOT effective enough to make #1 and  #2 run, #3 ran at the sight of a gun.  Don't know if they were unarmed, but he didn't take his eyes off thier hands.  So STUPID or not at least no one got shot . STUPID did fire into some wood into the ground as he knew he didn't want the bullet to go into the nieghbors yard.  Metro has not been back and "seems" to have had no problem with him. If they charge him with 202.287 then Mommy will hire a lawyer. Not to start a pissing match with you, but if he got caught in Kommerforia with a loaded gun in his glovebox, he would sit in jail till he rotted.  Hopefully he's in the army soon and he can shoot, shoot, shoot then.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Two bricks through the back patio door windows about 12:30 pm (broad daylight). They came in through the broken windows, and left through the front door (go figure). The homeowners were gone for about an hour and 45 minutes. The house was ransacked (especially the master bedroom). Some very valuable items were stolen, and some other items of value were either left behind or not found by the pukes (maybe something spooked them).

My neighbor was talking about this break-in a week or so ago, he's retired and has been here scence '77 knows everybody type of guy, this area has been pretty quite as long as I have lived here until recent, We have seen a change the last year as people are getting the property cheap...see a lot of dead grass and cars parked in the front yard.....    
Glad to know we live in the same area  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My neighbor was talking about this break-in a week or so ago, he's retired and has been here scence '77 knows everybody type of guy, this area has been pretty quite as long as I have lived here until recent, We have seen a change the last year as people are getting the property cheap...see a lot of dead grass and cars parked in the front yard.....    
Glad to know we live in the same area  

What's your cross streets?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It also increases the value of the home as well as the security.

probably a break in home insurance?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top