Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 4:53:40 PM EDT
lw media had to put their leftwich spin on this with: "Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety...".

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

Apr 16, 7:40 PM EDT

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

By PAUL DAVENPORT and JONATHAN J. COOPER
Associated Press Writers

PHOENIX (AP) –– Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.

The measure takes effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends, which likely puts the effective date in July or August.

"I believe this legislation not only protects the Second Amendment rights of Arizona citizens, but restores those rights as well," Brewer, a Republican, said in a statement.

Alaska and Vermont now do not require permits to carry concealed weapons.

By eliminating the permit requirement, the Arizona legislation will allow people 21 or older to forego background checks and classes that are now required.

Supporters say the bill promotes constitutional rights and allows people to protect themselves from criminals, while critics worry it will lead to more shootings as people with less training have fewer restrictions on carrying weapons.

Some police officials are concerned the law will lead to more accidental gun discharges from people untrained in firearm safety, or that shooters in stressful situations will accidentally strike innocent bystanders with stray bullets.

"I know a lot of 21-year-olds; the maturity level is gravely concerning sometimes," said El Mirage Police Chief Mike Frazier, an Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police board member. "If you're going to be carrying a weapon you should know what the law is and how to use it."

However, the measure was supported by police unions representing rank-and-file officers, who said their best friend on the streets is a law-abiding citizen equipped to protect themselves or others.

The police chiefs group initially opposed the bill but then took a neutral stance after some provisions were changed at their request. Brewer's office also participated in negotiations on changes to the bill.

A Democratic leader, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, of Phoenix, said the bill deprives law enforcement of a tool "to separate good guys from the bad guys." With a permit requirement, police encountering a person with a concealed gun but no permit had reason to suspect that person was not a law-abiding citizen, she said.

The Arizona Citizens Defense League, a gun-rights group that lobbied for passage of the "constitutional carry" bill, said gun owners foregoing permits still should get training. "The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it," the group said.

Arizona's permissive gun laws gained national attention last year when a man openly carried a semiautomatic rifle to a Phoenix protest outside a speech by President Barack Obama.

Nearly all adults can already carry a weapon openly in Arizona, and supporters of looser laws argue that gun owners shouldn't face additional restrictions just because they want to hide the weapon.

Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Forty-five other states require permits for hidden guns, and two states - Illinois and Wisconsin - prohibit them altogether.

Federal law requires anyone buying a gun from a licensed dealer to undergo a background check, but that requirement does not apply to sales by individuals who aren't dealers. Arizona's law won't change that.

Under the Arizona legislation, people carrying a concealed weapon will be required to tell a police officer that if asked, and the officer can temporarily take the weapon while communicating with the person.

More than 154,000 people have permits to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona.

The bill acted on by Brewer was the first attempt to lift the permit requirement to reach an Arizona governor's desk.

Brewer's predecessor, Democrat Janet Napolitano, in 2007 vetoed two related bills. One would have reduced penalties for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. The other would have allowed a person without a permit to carry a gun largely concealed as long as any part of it or its holster was visible.

Brewer in 2008 signed into law a bill allowing a person with a permit to take a gun into a restaurant or bar serving alcohol as long as the establishment doesn't prohibit it and the person isn't drinking alcohol. Napolitano vetoed a similar bill in 2005.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Would be nice if that became a new trend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Im going to Tombstone, Arizona. Gonna find out why it's a town thats "Too Tough To Die" and open carry there at the OK Corral because the Marshals welcome it as they said in the Glock Annual magazine of 2009
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I would love it if they would adopt that here(or everywhere for that matter)

Alaska did it right as I was leaving of course. Inconsiderate bastards
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would love it if they would adopt that here(or everywhere for that matter)

Alaska did it right as I was leaving of course. Inconsiderate bastards

Dont feel bad..there are a lot of us in the same boat. In middle school a new gym was being built- wont be finished till I graduated already. High school- AC units being put in and new gym and swimming pool to be built after I left. Grrr...

Would be cool if Nevada follows suit. Since Commiefornia just came out with a law to ban unloaded open carry last wednesday because as state law makers said- it is too dangerous to have that many guns in public. (left out the unloaded part)
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
AZ used to have some weird law on how to carry in the car. I wonder if that changed. It used to be cased or holstered requirements.

You also have to comply with posted signs.

No carrying in a bar either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No carrying in a bar either.

Brewer in 2008 signed into law a bill allowing a person with a permit to take a gun into a restaurant or bar serving alcohol as long as the establishment doesn't prohibit it and the person isn't drinking alcohol.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You are correct, but the law was passed in 09.

There is a nice loophole for the out of staters carrying in the bar-

AT THE TIME OF THE VIOLATION THE PERSON WAS NOT A RESIDENT OF THIS STATE.

Now, I have NO issue with someone consuming alcohol and carrying. Getting drunk and being stupid is the real issue. Looks like AZ has a no drinking while carrying in a bar policy though-

FOR ANY PERSON IN POSSESSION OF A FIREARM WHILE ON THE LICENSED PREMISES OF AN ON-SALE RETAILER TO CONSUME SPIRITUOUS LIQUOR.

Although AZ took a big step, I would rather see the permit process and thumb the nose at businesses, rather than let the businesses decide if you can carry. Concealed is concealed and nailing you for a good misdemeanor, rather than just kicking you out, is a big issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for Arizona!  Between this legislation and the recent passage on Arizona Senate Bill 1070, It must be great to live in a state were the members of the legislature have real balls; and tits for that matter!  

The chicken shit, no balls, whimsy Nevada State Legislature would never pass a law allowing Nevadans to carry without a permit.  Hell, they will not even consider doing away with Clark County’s handgun registration ordinance let alone something like this!  Worthless Nevada State Legislature – all 63 of them!

Congratulations to Arizonians!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would rather see the permit process and thumb the nose at businesses, rather than let the businesses decide if you can carry.

Practically, I might agree with you. Politically, though, AZ's solution preserves everybody's rights - the property rights of the businesses, and the RKBA rights of everybody else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a permit for AZ from when I was stationed there and now I want to go back. Congrats indeed!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would rather see the permit process and thumb the nose at businesses, rather than let the businesses decide if you can carry.

Practically, I might agree with you. Politically, though, AZ's solution preserves everybody's rights - the property rights of the businesses, and the RKBA rights of everybody else.

The issue is it is criminal for you to even step foot in there. That is what I have an issue with.

Essentially, every business could post those and you could never carry outside the general public. Unless the business is willing to assume liability for my safety, then my rights should come first.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good for Arizona!  Between this legislation and the recent passage on Arizona Senate Bill 1070, It must be great to live in a state were the members of the legislature have real balls; and tits for that matter!  

The chicken shit, no balls, whimsy Nevada State Legislature would never pass a law allowing Nevadans to carry without a permit.  Hell, they will not even consider doing away with Clark County’s handgun registration ordinance let alone something like this!  Worthless Nevada State Legislature – all 63 of them!

Actually, now that POS Bernie Anderson is OUT as chair of the assembly judiciary committee, we may stand a decent chance at real reform!

Two things have to happen.

1. Break the liberal lock on legislation in at least one chamber, that means electing as many genuine conservatives as possible in Nov.

2. Now that we may have a decent chance, WE have to become VERY active in pushing the issue!
This means contacting your local rep to demand reform, then showing up for the committee hearings and being heard.
So long as NVSCA or the liberal anti's get to run the legislature we will remain "Irrelevant*",

Please remember, we only got CCW after 2,000+ people showed up in Carson City on the Capitol steps in 1994, and another 1,000+ in 1995.

I would also make this an issue for any candidate seeking your vote, even in the primary.
Do not be shy for fear of offending a candidate, their duty is to represent YOU, it is not your duty to coddle them or their feelings!
It is much easier to keep a fascist out from the start than to have to replace them later.

*As Sheriff Ron Pierini once stated when he was the NVSCA president.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is it is criminal for you to even step foot in there. That is what I have an issue with.

Essentially, every business could post those and you could never carry outside the general public. Unless the business is willing to assume liability for my safety, then my rights should come first.

Doesn't AZ have a law that requires businesses that don't want you to carry to provide safe storage for you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top