Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2009 9:54:22 AM EDT
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126102247889095011.html

Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones
$26 Software Is Used to Breach Key Weapons in Iraq; Iranian Backing Suspected

Senior defense and intelligence officials said Iranian-backed insurgents intercepted the video feeds by taking advantage of an unprotected communications link in some of the remotely flown planes' systems.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
just saw the report on CNN myself...  uh, helllo, they maybe insurgents but Unsecure comm? are we really that stupid...? pants down alert!!!!!!
WTF!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The Comms that is used is secured, so they cannot hear radio chatter. It's the video feed that is not secured and never has been.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was gonna post this yesterday when I read it on the front page of the WSJ.

I was more surprised that the insurgents have computers! According to the article I read, they suspect Iranian involvement.

We should let them receive a video feed just in time to see a missile cruising right up their ass!

Eagle Reaper- got any insight to add?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
How do they get power in their caves? Let alone the internet to hack it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand all the surprise about them using technology.  They can detonate an IED with a garage remote/cell phone, can you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
EagleReaperDriver is conspicuously silent on this one. I don't blame him, must be OPSEC.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EagleReaperDriver is conspicuously silent on this one. I don't blame him, must be OPSEC.

No, family in town and been skiing at Brian Head this weekend.  Suffice it to say that this isn't "new" news to any of us in the community.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, family in town and been skiing at Brian Head this weekend.  Suffice it to say that this isn't "new" news to any of us in the community.

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Even Hollywood knew it, it was showed on an episode of NCIS - LA earlier in the season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top