BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:27:22 PM EDT
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know?

Ive gotten written up for not having one.
Gave me a mechanical cite.
Had to put it back on.
Get it signed off at the PD.
Then take it to the court house.
'It was given during a moving violation stop. He gave me that instead of the speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn it. I lost mine or it was stolen. I already filed a police report but haven't had time to go to the DMV to get another.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone know?

You need Four Front License Plates in Nevada, all at the same time....

They MUST be mounted:

One Must be mounted by Screws.

One Must be mounted by Glue.

One must be mounted by Tape.

The other must be mounted by Goat Sperm.

Not necessarily in that order.

Hope this Helps.

JK,

Check the statutes

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's listed on the Plates Display section, along with a link to the applicable NRS, at the DMV site: http://www.dmvnv.com/platesmain.htm

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I got pulled over by NHP for no front plate. They are required in Nevada. The only exception according to the trooper is if your vehicle does not have a place to mount one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's listed on the Plates Display section, along with a link to the applicable NRS, at the DMV site: http://www.dmvnv.com/platesmain.htm

See,

How easy was that?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn it. I lost mine or it was stolen. I already filed a police report but haven't had time to go to the DMV to get another.

SO, you are driving around with a plate number that was reported stolen to the police department?

482.275 subsection 2-

2.  If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:

(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and

(b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SO, you are driving around with a plate number that was reported stolen to the police department?

482.275 subsection 2-

2.  If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:

(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and

(b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.

No. I just didn't know if my front place was stolen so I filed a police report. Just in case. I have to go to the DMV and get it replaced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got pulled over by NHP for no front plate. They are required in Nevada. The only exception according to the trooper is if your vehicle does not have a place to mount one.

This was my understanding as well.  Me and a guy I work with both have Toyota FJ's, he bought his in NV so it does not have the holes in the front bumper for a plate.  I bought mine in Cali so I do have the holes and a plate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I read recently (RJ?) an authoritative response to the exact same question.
Seems during the last legislative session, the law was changed.
Used to be required on both front and back.
Now; if vehicle lacks a manufacturer's bracket in front, owner may opt not to install one, and be exempt from statute requirement.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had a front plate in years, as the manufacturer didn't drill mounting holes.  Not sure how our neighboring states would respond though ;)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my understanding as well.  Me and a guy I work with both have Toyota FJ's, he bought his in NV so it does not have the holes in the front bumper for a plate.  I bought mine in Cali so I do have the holes and a plate.

My FJ came from Utah and has a mounting bracket for a plate.

Nevada didn't always require a front plate but some time in the 90s they changed the requirement.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I got stopped by some  RPD bike cop. Big stink made over me not having a front plate. Cop says "If you had been driving a Porsche or something like that, then no, you don't need one." He writes me a ticket.

When I showed up to court,I pled not guilty, and talked with one of the city attorneys. Told her what the cop said and asked "So, basically your officers are saying that in order to not be harassed for no front plate, I need to drive a $70K vehicle?" She says no, I tell her what the cop said.

It was dropped.

I know what he was implying (that it only applies to vehicles that did not come with the mount etc), but I didn't care. I snaked my way out of the ticket/fine by using the cops words against him.

Do I feel bad? Hell no. With all the shady shit they do, coming out on the winning side feels damn good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Just about every vehicle under the sun the manufacturer has a front bracket for, even the high end exotics.  So a front plate is required.  It's easy PC for a stop (especially when hunting at 3am) but unless you act like an ass hat, I can't think of anybody, short of a trainee, that would write for it.  Had a clown the other day talk himself into over $2,000 worth of cites when he could have just walked with warnings.  

Oh and if you are going to drop the chief's name make sure you get it right.  Telling me you are good friends of my chief and you can't get the name right won't help your cause.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just about every vehicle under the sun the manufacturer has a front bracket for, even the high end exotics.  So a front plate is required.  It's easy PC for a stop (especially when hunting at 3am) but unless you act like an ass hat, I can't think of anybody, short of a trainee, that would write for it.  Had a clown the other day talk himself into over $2,000 worth of cites when he could have just walked with warnings.  

Oh and if you are going to drop the chief's name make sure you get it right.  Telling me you are good friends of my chief and you can't get the name right won't help your cause.

So what's that name again? It slipped my mind the last time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top