Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 10:27:24 AM EDT
First time go around and looking for some help in filling a muley tag for area 10 early.  Tried scouting the area a couple weeks ago but had the family in tow so nothing that got planned got done...  Was planning on working the area in the foothills surrounding the Ruby Valley area.  Since it's my first whack at big game some guidance/experience would be mucho appreciated.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have to fill my tag first, then I'll share ;) We were looking for large bucks, so we let way too many go.

There are plenty down south, unless you are stuck on the Ruby's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Check with the fellas on nevadahunters.com . Never deer hunted that area so Im no help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate all of you.  I didnt get any tags this year.  You suck.
(I kid I kid)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, my second hunting trip up there may not happen now. I can give you the area we hunted, if you want. It is not near the Ruby's though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, my second hunting trip up there may not happen now. I can give you the area we hunted, if you want. It is not near the Ruby's though.

IM Sent
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a tag, but doesn't the early hunt start October 5?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The Rubys are tough to hunt if you have never been there. The problem with them they are land locked by Ranchers that don't want to allow access to the mountains. I would try around Harrison Pass or the North end of Ruby Valley around Secret Pass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Rubys are tough to hunt if you have never been there. The problem with them they are land locked by Ranchers that don't want to allow access to the mountains. I would try around Harrison Pass or the North end of Ruby Valley around Secret Pass.
I hunted there nearly 30 years ago. I didn't fill my tag but my brother and friend did. I remember lots of deer way up in the snow line way too far away that could see you coming.When we left we saw a nice 4 or 6 point hung up on a fence, apparently he misjudged his jump. Picked up some curd in Currie I think it was. We camped on the creek, beautiful area.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to be an ass, but I'd rather not draw than draw area 10. That being said, we hunted secret pass a few years ago and my father in law shot a big buck from around 600 yards. 4 of us hunted a total of about 6 days and that was one of two shootable bucks we saw. The other was around 700 yards away and and was scared away by some douche on a 4 wheeler before we could move on it at all.. It's big country, there's a ton of private land that makes it hard to access the mountains, and there are always around 5 million hunters running around on 4 wheelers and in trucks ensuring that nobody will be able to see any deer. Even when we got WAY away from the beaten path, we'd inevitably see and/or hear 4 wheelers driving around. As a result, the deer were all super skiddish.

My advice is to hit secret pass on opening day and try to get up there before the masses do. Good luck and have fun. (No sarcasm there).
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Andie about 10 years ago I put in 10 as a last pick and ended up with it. I also said never again after that. When we first moved to Elko in 72. We used to hunt Secret Peak all the time for about 10 years. There was always alot of hunters on the mountain then but we used to hike into a canyon called Starvation Canyon and sure as shit someone would whack a Deer back there. By the time you packed it out you almost ate half of it.

My Son has 10 this year and when he asked me about where to hunt all I told him was good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top