Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:00:27 AM EDT
Friend of mine in Las Vegas, and maybe half a dozen of his buddies, want to get CCW permits.
Who puts on the good classes?  Not the gunshop commando talking about dragging the body inside the house, and how the sound of a pump-action shotgun will scare people away –– but the people who look and act intelligent and professional.

What is involved in getting a NV CCW permit?  (In AZ it's an 8-hour class, mostly on law of justification, very little shooting instruction, with a minimum shooting "qualification" that is hard not to pass.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Me and my buddies had set up a private class with the guy at Bargin Pawn.....Was a very good class and we did the qualification on a saturday that we were free. was nice and very informative. Give Bagin Pawn a call and see what he can do with the amount of people you have.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I took mine with Melinda at Bargain Pawn as well. The class was super cheap and satisfied the requirements, and that is all I was looking for. She was fun and easy to understand. I think the class is good for someone that already has a good handle on firearms, but for total beginners there should be a lot more instruction.  

I'm not sure how the other classes in town are, but I definitely feel that it is important to educate yourself outside of that class, because it doesn't cover a lot of stuff. And the state required shooting qual is a joke.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have taken the course at The Gun Shop on Trop. many years ago. It was lacking to say the least. I am planning on renewing since my CCW expired many years ago. When i do, My wife and I will be taking the course from Line of Fire LLC. . Ishoot2live here on Ar15.com NVHTF.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Member ishoot2live / Joe
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Member ishoot2live / Joe

+1,000,000

+1,000,000,000
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I just did my CCW at Battleborn Tactical up on N Durango/215.  Ted Hockfelder from Las Vegas Shooting Academy runs the class and it was top notch.  Very informative and a big boy approach throughout.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Just had my class with Joe/ishoot2live.  

Joe covered stuff that the other place hadn't, and gave some defensive shooting drills before the qualification.  

Definitely a recommendation if you want to learn anything.  Other class (different instructor/company)  I had taken a while back suggested not dragging bodies, but pretty sure they had mentioned the shotgun. :)

Keith
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
While I have not taken a class from Joe at Line of Fire, I sent my Godson's mother, someone I care very much for, through his class. She had nothing but great things to say about Joe, including that he was very strict and fair. Lots of info and she felt like she got what she needed from it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Got mine at the Gun Store on Tropicana.  The instructor's last name was Eaton I believe, crusty old LV Metro officer for the past hundred years or so.  He was very thorough, knowledgeable and the class covered everything.  He relayed the issues as the cop on the scene would, and his personal experience.  I was impressed.  $75 included one pistol, $25 extra if you wanted to add additional pistols.  His wife teaches a portion of the class, and she also teaches a woman's defensive firearms class.

I'd highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is my feedback of Joe from Line of Fire, LLC previously posted:

5 Stars for Joseph Nizzari, Line of Fire, LLC

After completing the CCW renewal course for NV, UT & FL with Line of Fire, LLC, I like to post a brief feedback regarding my experienced with Joseph Nizzari, Director of Training from Line of Fire, LLC.

Mr. Nizzari (from now on I am going to called Joe since I feel like he is a new friend to me even though we started out as trainer/trainee relationship).  We started out with a few emails exchange regarding my interest in his class for my upcoming NV CCW renewal (the reason I picked Joe rather than going to those quick renewal courses offered throughout the valley was due to positive feedbacks from his previous trainees and I feel that it’s time for me to take on more training rather than the usual class room and simple qualification routine).  Joe called me up, introduced himself and asked for my needs/interests.   He began with a “thank you” for my interest in training with him and explained in detail about his credential, licensing and background as a trainer.  It is extremely important for a trainer to possess extensive knowledge and skills in their field and I fell Joe met my requirement (more will follow after the range training session).  Joe explained in detail how he ran his course and the many benefits that he provided to his trainees.  He always encouraged me to ask questions which I have many to begin with and ended up with so few since Joe is very detail oriented in covering most bases.  We then hit off with miscellaneous stuffs and called it off with our first telephone encounter.  Throughout our conversation, Joe was very professional and courteous.  A few more conversations latter and we arranged our training session that lasted 2 days (definitely more than the average mom and pop CCW training course).

Joe showed up at my place of business on Friday the 24th and we proceeded with our first day of classroom session.  It was a very convenience arrangement for me since I don’t have to make further arrangement besides reserved my afternoon hours for the classroom.  Even though Joe conducted the classroom portion at my location, he was “ARMED” with the equipments/tools necessary conducting the class.  We had a quick lunch (sorry Joe for the chili) and then Joe began his work.  Even though the main portion of the class was focused on CCW, in addition to the standard legal requirements, Joe covered more in depth in both the quantity and quality of the presented materials.  Rather than the usual boring lecture, Joe was utilizing verbal, graphical and demonstration to deliver his lesson.  With any CCW class, I took the test followed by making an arrangement for the “fun day” (Saturday the 25th) at the Boulder City Rifle and Pistol Club (BRPC).

I met Joe, Jim (Joe’s assistant) and Grizzly (the Rottweiler) at BRPC on the 25th of April.  After Joe and Jim prepared the range, we proceeded with the “fun” training session.  Joe began the session with safety briefing followed by the dry fired practice which focused on safety gun handling and controlling, the advantages/disadvantages of the different shooting positions, sighting, trigger control and proper and effective loading/reloading techniques.  Joe focused his attention on me at all times and guided me away from unproductive/bad habits prior to and during the live firing session.  There was NEVER at any time that I fell Joe was rushing thru the many drills.  He took the time to properly and effectively guide me through the many drills with his expertise.  We ended up with my qualification of my handguns for the NV CCW.  Yes, the official training was over after the qualification but the “fun” time was only getting better when Jim brought out his S&W model 76 full auto.  We had no choice but called it a day after we ran out of ammo playing with the model 76.

I like to thanks Joe for the very professional training session, Jim for helping out with the session (including the tips on the revolver and the model 76) and Grizzly (get well soon big boy) for his company.  I learned a great deal from this amazing CCW class (again, this is no ordinary average mom and pop CCW class).

Summary of my training with Joseph Nizzari:

Professionalism: A
Attitude: A
Experiences/Skills: A
Cost: Priceless
Course/Instructor’s Overall Grading:  A

Note: A is the highest grading.

Andrew

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Friends,

Let me start by saying thank you for the referral posts and positive feedback regarding training with Line of Fire, LLC.

To offer my students the highest quality firearms training I am conducting private courses by appointment only. I do not have a set course schedule; therefore, each course is based on the individual time schedules of my prospective students.

The best part of private training is that the class size is small and we will come to you! The classroom portion can be conducted in the privacy of your own home or place of business, with your personal friends and/or family… No strangers. I can also conduct private courses for out-of-state residents while they are visiting Las Vegas and/or the surrounding area.

I offer three CCW training options to my students:

1. I can conduct a private one-on-one course (one student/one instructor) based on your schedule as long as I do not have your choice of dates already booked.

2. I can conduct a private course for more than one person (up to 10). That is the best deal, because you still get a private course based on your schedule and you get to train with people that you know and trust. This option also saves tuition dollars over the cost of a private one-on-one course.

3. I can conduct female only courses for one or more students if that will make the training experience more comfortable/pleasurable.

My approved CCW course is two days in length and it exceeds the criterion for the states of Nevada, Utah and Florida. Consider this course going to private shooting school and not just some 'cattle call' CCW class on the cheap.

The first day of the course consists of classroom and it is approximately six to eight hours in length (depending on class size) and it includes the required Nevada State 40 question written test. On day one lunch is eaten in the classroom in order to maximize training hours.

The second day consists of range time (the practical portion). First, we meet in Boulder City, NV and have lunch as a group (or just myself and the student if it is a one person private course). After lunch we travel to the outdoor range in Boulder City for the practice and proficiency portion of the course and we spend the rest of the day participating in dry practice, live-fire training disciplines, and qualification.

All of my CCW courses include CCW applications for Nevada, Utah and Florida, and the fingerprint cards for Utah and Florida (Nevada fingerprint cards are provided by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's CCW Detail when you file your Nevada application). If you file the applications for all three states and you possess Nevada, Utah and Florida CCW permits you will be allowed to carry concealed in over 33 states across the country. That is definitely an asset for people who frequently travel to other states.

Please Note: If I conduct a private course the second day (range time) does not have to be conducted on the day immediately following the first day. The second day can be scheduled anytime after the first day and it can be based on your schedule as long as I do not have the second day of choice already booked. This courtesy allows you to still participate in this high quality training if you have a busy schedule.

Although I charge more than most other gun shops/instructors in the Las Vegas area, please know that I provide top notch training for not only the novice, but for the accomplished shooter as well. Firearms instruction is all I do for a living. I am a professional and I live, eat and breathe my profession 24/7. I do not do it as a hobby, nor do I use it as an excuse to give me something to do to get me out of the house.

If you are seeking first-class firearms training at a reasonable tuition cost you have certainly come to the right organization. I have been in business for over 13 years and I have solid backgrounds in Law Enforcement and Civilian firearms disciplines, and I am approved to instruct in four states: Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Florida. I am insured and hold business licenses in Clark County, the City of Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City, Nevada.

Please know that although I have the knowledge, skills, and attitude to train my students hard so they will fight easy, I am not a self-centered Rambo-type. While I am firm (firearms training is a serious venture) I am also very fair.

I hope I have provided enough information in order for you to make an informed decision regarding this very personal and serious subject matter.

After reading this post (I know it is lengthy) you feel that Line of Fire, LLC is for you and you would like to speak to me directly (that is the best way to discuss training issues), please feel free to call me at your convenience. Or, you can e-mail me your contact number and the best time to call and I will be happy to call you on my dime.

I look forward to training with you.

Be Safe.

Sincerely,

Joseph Nizzari
Director of Training Operations
Line of Fire, LLC
Professional Firearms Training Group
CCW/Handgun Training Division
Las Vegas, Nevada
(702) 242-8288 (bus.)
(702) 324-3720 (c) 24/7
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks all.  Looks like Joe Nizzari is the way to go.  I will provide his contact info to my friend, along with the Bargain Pawn woman as a backup, just in case scheduling can't be worked out or something.

I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
there are a lot of training outfits to choose from in the valley.  but if you are looking for CCW classes specifically, That is Joe's specialty.  He runs a fantastic course that is REAL training, not just a certificate mill.  The extra money is more than worth what you take away from the experience.  Ive sent many of my friends straight to Joe, and all have been glad they went.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Joe,

Greetings.  As discussed earlier, I have a mid Dec 2009 expiration so I'm due soon to qual right?  I'm thinking a 1 on 1.

Take care,

Don
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Joe,

Greetings.  As discussed earlier, I have a mid Dec 2009 expiration so I'm due soon to qual right?  I'm thinking a 1 on 1.

Take care,

Don

NP, Don.

The state still has 120 days by NRS to get first time and renewal permit applications processed, and if it takes all of 120 days to process and that 120 days goes past the expiration date there will be a lapse and you will not be legally able to carry.

Therefore, I always suggest taking the course at least five or six months before the permit expiration date, and filing the renewal application at least 120 days before the expiration date. By taking the course that far in advance it gets it out of the way in case something comes up, and by filing at least 120 days before the expiration date should ensure a smooth transition because there is no grace period. So, sometime in July  (or before) should be perfect for you.

Metro has been really good about getting first time applications and renewals back to the permit holders really quickly. So, you should be good to go. Once you get your renewal permit this time, under the new law the permit will expire on the fifth anniversary of issuance, instead of the old way of expiration, that being, expiring on the permit holder's birthday nearest the fifth anniversary of issuance.

Hope this helps.

I look forward to training with you soon!

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Joe
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Joe I just called you and trying to get some information about the class

Hopefully hear form you soon. Thanks

Chao
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I was teaching class all day and I just got your message.... Call on the way.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I talked with Joe about some training on the phone last night. I am confident I will take home knowledge and skills that I am currently ignorant of.
The man defines the term squared away in a world that struggles to meet the minimum requirements. His passion for firearms instruction is self evident. I am excited to take his aversive level 1 handgun class even though i am informed that my sights are going to cause me to FAIL the single handed left handed slide racking technique maneuver procedure.
Now I am worried, this is nothing to joke about.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I talked with Joe about some training on the phone last night. I am confident I will take home knowledge and skills that I am currently ignorant of.
The man defines the term squared away in a world that struggles to meet the minimum requirements. His passion for firearms instruction is self evident. I am excited to take his aversive level 1 handgun class even though i am informed that my sights are going to cause me to FAIL the single handed left handed slide racking technique maneuver procedure.
Now I am worried, this is nothing to joke about.

LF,

It was a pleasure to speak you on the telephone last night, and it will be a pleasure to have you in the 2-Day Aversive Handgun Course.

As discussed in our conversation, the "Novak" style sights on your gun will make it difficult to conduct one handed (right or left) wounded man malfunction clearance drills. When students bring a gun with those type of sights they just have to "work it out" which takes up valuable time. Those drills must be executed immediately under stress, and precious time is something that must not be given away or taken for granted.

Remember, every second you give up is a second given to your adversary, and the more time he has to fight, the less time you have to survive.

I look forward to training with you soon.

Be Safe.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top