Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2009 10:38:40 AM EDT
I have heard through the grapvine that there is talk of privatizing the Washoe County Regional shooting facility.

I think this could be good or bad for the shooters and clubs that use the range.

I will report more as I find out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know why they would do that.  Not a lot of people use it on a regular basis anyways.  Most people I talk to don't want to pay for the safety of a range when you can shoot in the desert for free.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If true i bet that new rangemaster is shaking.

I miss scott
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont think I have heard a single good thing about the new rangemaster

That land was gifted/trusted for the sole purpose of being a range. I am not fully up to speed but a couple of the guys I shoot with seem to remember the history.

Where did you hear this if I might ask??
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, Scott was a good guy.

The new Rangemaster got his panties in a bunch when I showed up with 2 ARs. "Oh, wow, that's quite some firepower you have there".  *shakes head*

I felt less than welcome to have him breathing down my neck all the time. Either way, he just didn't come across as a professional. I'll try the Carson Range next or the desert. F' em....

Note to self: WCRSF for Fudd guns only...
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
What does the guy look like. I might have met him afterall. Is he short and heavyset with a beard??

It sounds like the guy who was working when we went out. He was a stickler about having the charging handles left out/back. I dont have a problem with it but he was pretty abrupt with us.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
when did this new rangemaster start?  The last time I was there it was a girl.  Think she had red hair but it could have been brown.  She was really cool with my friend and his AR.  He'd never been to the range so he wasn't sure how it all worked.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does the guy look like. I might have met him afterall. Is he short and heavyset with a beard??

It sounds like the guy who was working when we went out. He was a stickler about having the charging handles left out/back. I dont have a problem with it but he was pretty abrupt with us.

That's the guy.

'Abrupt' is a good way to describe his attitude. Haven't seen him be that way to people with Fudd guns though. I assume he disapproves of so called assault weapons.
I had the impression that he felt very uneasy with ARs on 'his' range. Almost nervous.

He needs a new job.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The new guy is OK I guess.  He seems kinda iffy about my title 2 guns but after explaining the paperwork to him he lightened up.
I think he was an IPSC shooter years ago.  IIRC a conversation I had with him.  
But Scott was a true class act.  Man he was cool.  
I do like the range since it is a great place to zero weapons.  
It has its purpose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think he was an IPSC shooter years ago.  IIRC a conversation I had with him.  

That is interesting because the IPSC/USPSA shooters are having a hell of a time with him
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The new guy is a prick.   Scott was a good guy....
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#11]
They have become suddenly difficult to deal with.  We have been trying to shift some of our classes there from our range in Fernley, and things were on track, until a short time ago when now we can't get our calls returned etc.  

Hopefully this will be short lived.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully the new guys job there will be short lived. He needs a new job.

Who is his employer? The county? Maybe it's time for a letter campaign.... Just a friendly reminder to his boss to stop being a prick.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The range falls under the county parks I believe

I found a email link yesterday but I want to make sure it goes to his boss or bosses boss not him
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked out there as a seasonal last year before Scott passed away, was there without a rangemaster, and when Jim was hired.  I've been out there since.   He has mentioned that there is potential of the range being run by a private party (take liability away from the county) (his works).  The land was donated to the county for a range.  I believe it must remain a range otherwise it get returned to the original owners (as I was told).  The range is under the Parks Dept. (don't agree with it)  Doolittle, Mullens, and the area Supervisor (used to be A. Vieira, nice lady) in decending order.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess this would be the guy to contact first....:

Doug Doolittle
Director Washoe County Regional
Parks and Open Space
2601 Plumas St., Reno, NV 89509

[email protected]

Or her:

Amy Vieira - Pah Rah District (Interim) - (Lazy 5/Shooting Range/Sun Valley)
775-424-1801
[email protected]

Or maybe him:

Doug Mullens - North District Superintendent
775-785-4512
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Jim is a dick, plain and simple. From what I have heard he might be on his way out. He does run a safe range, but just about anyone with half a brain can run a safe range. Rangemaster is a pubic relations position, and Jim has no public relations skills. I have talked to him on a few occasions regarding the USPSA matches, and after the way he talked to me I refuse to speak with that man anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jim is a dick, plain and simple. From what I have heard he might be on his way out. He does run a safe range, but just about anyone with half a brain can run a safe range. Rangemaster is a pubic relations position, and Jim has no public relations skills. I have talked to him on a few occasions regarding the USPSA matches, and after the way he talked to me I refuse to speak with that man anymore.

Was he 'abrupt'? lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I was at the Washoe Range today and Jim made sure that my charging handles were out/back on my two 6920s by doing it himself.

I couldn't help but turn around and laugh my ass off after remembering this thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was at the Washoe Range today and Jim made sure that my charging handles were out/back on my two 6920s by doing it himself.

I couldn't help but turn around and laugh my ass off after remembering this thread.

i understand the idea of safety  but I dont really care if you have a badge on just dont start finger fucking other peoples guns.  This is coming from a liability standpoint.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to go ahead and finger another mans gun is similar to just finger his wife. Just bad judgment all around.

There are certain things you just don't do no matter how much you like to....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i understand the idea of safety  but I dont really care if you have a badge on just dont start finger fucking other peoples guns.  This is coming from a liability standpoint.

Don't worry. He only used one finger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top