Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2008 4:21:19 PM EDT
I was at the UPS shipping center trying to ship an HK P7 to Metalife in Grand Valley, PA 16420 and another one to Cummings Custom Refinishing in Greeneville, TN 37743.  UPS gave me a knock out punch with $86/package (overnight).  Yes, $86 per package ($172 for two).  Is it just me or this is just outrageous charges?  I left with my two P7s.  If that is the current correct charges then no way on earth am I going to ship it off for refinishing. The packages were packed in one of their small box.

My questions are:

1. Is UPS overcharge for the above packages?

2. Is FedEx any better?

3. What can I do to keep the cost as low as possible (package size, etc...)?

Yg
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try USPS Flat rate or Priority Mail.
Should be under $20.00 with insurance.

Hope this helps,

Mark @
WWW.UberArms.com
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
First dont ship with UPS they have a policy on firearms that if they go missing they will not pay the insurance claim for the weapon you will only get back your shipping cost.

Second if its a handgun you as an individual cannot ship it by USPS only an FFL can do that

I suggest FedEx but it will still cost approx $50
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
First dont ship with UPS they have a policy on firearms that if they go missing they will not pay the insurance claim for the weapon you will only get back your shipping cost.

Second if its a handgun you as an individual cannot ship it by USPS only an FFL can do that

Thanks Pete for the info.  Is it against the law for UPS to charge to insured a package (yes, they know it's a firearm) and not pay the insurance claim?  Maybe it's legal in some communist countries but I am pretty sure it's definitely against the law to not paying for an insured package (please correct me how this can be legal - No, I don't think it can be basing on their policy). If it's their policy then they don't have to "steal" extra money to insured the package.  Yes, they charge the insurance base on the declared value.

Yg
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That post in itself I find Interesting,something to Ponder my Weapon in Transit is Not Insured just the Shipping

UPS will NOT pay a claim for a Weapon in there possesion and more than likely in a Employee's person(we all know this)

Nice,Real Nice
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Cant find the the post where there was a link to the UPS conditions but it seems they specifically exclude firearms as they specifically refuse to carry them for individuals. it seems that UPS will refund the cost of the shipping plus insurance thus relieving them from the obligation to pay out for the gun they appear to get away with this as mentioned before they dont allow handgun shipments by individuals

I recently had to send a Walther back for repair the guy at Walther told me he would send a call tag for FedEx for my return but he would return it by UPS when I asked why they used both he told me the same thing.

ETA However somebody just told me that they may accept shipping but now charge a kings ransom for the pleasure
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
OK.. the last two I shipped were 38-42.

What kind of lead blanket or box did you package these guns in??
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you use USPS just make sure you break down the gun into "parts" because an assembled firearm is a firearm and you must have an FFL to ship with Post Office. In pieces it is just that....parts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you use USPS just make sure you break down the gun into "parts" because an assembled firearm is a firearm and you must have an FFL to ship with Post Office. In pieces it is just that....parts.

Please research and check the facts before giving misleading info.  The Frame with SN is always considered by US laws as the "firearm" (not part). If I am wrong, I am sorry.

Yg
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please research and check the facts before giving misleading info.  The Frame with SN is always considered by US laws as the "firearm" (not part). If I am wrong, I am sorry.

Yg

Yes your correct the receiver/frame is always legally the firearm
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
lots of in this thread
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, this is the kind of thread you read that really makes you wonder if you should believe anything you read on a internet gun forum.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top