Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2008 8:10:31 PM EDT
Went in to BRA on thursday. Picked up some magazines and had some night sights installed on a glock that was to be used in a IDPA match on saturday. Service was descent and prices ok. Took the gun to the range on Friday and sighted it in and ran about 200 rounds through the gun. Everything seemed fine. On to Sat. match.
Last station of the day, the freaking front sight comes loose in the middle of the run.  Anyone ever heard of locktite?
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
alright!!!!! another BRA thread!!!!!
better than advertising in shotgun news!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you just guessing the guys at BRA didn't use Loctite or do you know they didn't?  -Of course, I have no idea what they did or didn't do, but I have had night sights work loose on a Glock pistol that were installed by a gunsmith who used Loctite.  It can happen.

That said, it was my understanding that when Loctite is used in the installation of sights on a firearm, the pistol needs to be left alone for 24-48 hours for the Loctite to properly set.  I have heard several gunsmiths tell me this.  Perhaps you shot the gun before it set...
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you just guessing the guys at BRA didn't use Loctite or do you know they didn't?  -Of course, I have no idea what they did or didn't do, but I have had night sights work loose on a Glock pistol that were installed by a gunsmith who used Loctite.  It can happen.
No, it is not known for sure weather or not loctite was used for sure.

That said, it was my understanding that when Loctite is used in the installation of sights on a firearm, the pistol needs to be left alone for 24-48 hours for the Loctite to properly set.  I have heard several gunsmiths tell me this.  Perhaps you shot the gun before it set...
Yes it was shot prior to 24 hours. If 24-48 hrs set time was needed , this could have/should have been stated when I picked he slide up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Did the night sights help you during the match?

What kind of sights?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
firearms are a mechanical instrument,that being said, machines are prone to failure, doesnt matter if its a glock or a toyota. If it has moving or replacable parts then it can fail. sounds like it came loose, you didn't lose it so not that big of a deal. I wouldn't say its BRA fault, was the loc-tite dry(12-24hr cure time )That .090 hex on glocks is a tricky little bastard, doesn't have that many threads to begin with, Lightning Strike products has a small hex wrench that works great, I recomend pick one up and keep it in the range bag.

Just remember shit happens. Firearms and Murphy's Law go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
firearms are a mechanical instrument,that being said, machines are prone to failure, doesnt matter if its a glock or a toyota. If it has moving or replacable parts then it can fail. sounds like it came loose, you didn't lose it so not that big of a deal.

Just remember shit happens. Firearms and Murphy's Law go hand in hand.

+1 - This is why it is important to test your firearms before you carry them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did the night sights help you during the match?

What kind of sights?

The sights weren't installed for the match. The gun is owned by a friend of mine who flew in from Canada for the match, and there wouldn't be time after the match to have them installed.

Meprolites.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked about the sights, not just to wonder about using them during the day, but to see what brand.

Meprolights have required me to use the extra thick loctite (can't remember which color). No idea why they seemed to be made a lil' small... it has been a few years since I ran into the problem though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Blue is the semi-permenant and Red is the good stuff that doesn't work loose if you try.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I used loctite when I installed them.  I have only seen the front site come loose on Glocks  two times in three years. If you bring the slide in I will be happy to make it right. It will only take a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I used loctite when I installed them.  I have only seen the front site come loose on Glocks  two times in three years. If you bring the slide in I will be happy to make it right. It will only take a couple of minutes.

Like I said, these were installed on a slide for a friend who was here from Canada for a match. He had to leave Early Monday morning.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top