Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:54:29 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I normally don't like to read the RJ, but they had an article warning drivers going from NV to AZ on the use of photo-radar enforcement on the 93 from Boulder Dam to Kingman.

Article Link

Example of one from Tuscon:

I thought I'd chime in since I was recently caught by one of these new robo-cops. The article mentions photo-radar vans that park themselves on the side of the highway and snap pictures and mail you tickets for anything over the speed limit (I believe from 5-10mph over), but there are also red light cameras and fixed photo-radar cameras in various parts of the state such as Prescott Valley (where I got my speeding ticket from a fixed camera) to Scottsdale (aka Snottsdale) and Phoenix. They look like this:

So I wake up one brisk December morning to find a piece of mail for me with a nice ticket and a nice shot of my face and my plates. My fine was a ridiculous $290 for over 12 mph. Why so high? Simply because the cameras are contracted out to a company in Australia called Redflex who receives half of those $300 and the county keeps the other half. In my situation, I feel the fine was ridiculous and the cameras is simply a revenue generator for this small town since it was placed inbetween a 35mph to 45mph zone. Luckily for me, I had the option of attending traffic school there where I payed $130, sat through a 4 hour refresher course on defensive driving and received no points or citations on my record.

Even though I had a bad experience with one and got caught, I do believe in the cameras as long as they are placed in sections of highway or streets proven to have high traffic accidents (for here it would be Blue Diamond Road IMO), not for the purpose of revenue though. I hope NV doesn't have to resort to this, but the money from these machines has attracted a lot of politicians attention..

Just in case any of you do get caught and do research you will find a lot of information on the web stating that out of state residents can safely ignore these tickets since AZ courts have to "properly service" you. Meaning someone has to deliver the ticket to you and confirm that with your signature if not after 120 days it gets thrown out of court. However if the state went through the trouble of finding you, they will probably report you to your local DMV that you did not pay a fine and could suspend your liscense over it, not to mention you might get arrested or at least get your car impounded if you run into the man in AZ again. In my case I decided to be honest and not take any chances with my integrity or my future career in the military. This should also apply to any of you who go through background checks for your jobs/careers as it could possibly show up there too.

Sorry for the long warning/rant, be aware and safe driving in AZ or anywhere else!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Brok3N,

I usually haul ass thru there, course it's on a Harley with no front plate.

But really thanks....................Terry

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem Terry, I forgot to mention, for cars or trucks, the camera must have a picture of your face and plates (rear or front). If they can't get a clear picture of either, they can't send you a ticket. I'm not sure how they would do it for motorcycles however. At least the vans have signs warning you before you approach them so take advantage of that too. Safe driving!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the warning, I go to Prescott about 6 times a year, good to know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad it is still illegal here in NV...... and this comes from a JBT
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Glad it is still illegal here in NV...... and this comes from a JBT

Yeah but the fuckers keep trying and trying and trying...............

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
For what they pay outsourcing the job they could hire an officer to patrol the area. What the hell.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
What pisses me off is foreign companies will take over half of the citation value as pay for their eqpt. That seriously hampers the ability to dispute the case.

There is a reason why they go civil on these fines and not criminal. Having to go to an actual court would seriously cost the losers too much money!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I read an article recently, where it stated "that if you did not appear or pay the fine by the court date, they (Ariz.) must have a constable deliver the citation in person. I will try to remember where I read this and post a link.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
So Airman Tentpeg, stationed at McChord AFB WA gets a pic ticket taken in full focus.  He gets a pic of his girlfriend driving him home speeding in HIS car because he is intoxicated, and she is speeding (probably home for sex with him).  The state mistakenly mails it to his wife who no longer owns the car (they did not check on the new registration - she, the old co-owner of the car before it is re-registered to him alone fully Feb 07). She gets pissed and divorces him.  He sues the state for violation of privacy.

Still pending since Oct 07, looks REAL good for him since they suspend all photo ticketing since Nov 07.

Go US Military!!!

Funny as hell....

V
OUT
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I read an article recently, where it stated "that if you did not appear or pay the fine by the court date, they (Ariz.) must have a constable deliver the citation in person. I will try to remember where I read this and post a link.

Tom

Hey Tom, technically this is true however if your an out of state resident, they will not send someone out here to serve you. After 120 days your ticket gets dismissed without prejudice however the courts can still overturn the ruling and place a charge on your record. So its possible a speeding ticket can haunt you later down the road. A small town like Prescott Valley will probably place a charge on you since they have nothing better to do, Scottsdale will probably not pursue you since they have a much more target rich environment.

Variable, that's a funny story, I also heard that an AZ resident took his photo-radar ticket to the Supreme Court, so well what happens.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I find it pretty easy to obey the posted speed limits: no tickets last 11 years/1.5 million miles.

Photo tickets ARE bullshit, however.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I find it pretty easy to obey the posted speed limits: no tickets last 11 years/1.5 million miles.

Where the Heck you at OTR Renegade?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where the Heck you at OTR Renegade?
Top of the grapevine-CA
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No problem Terry, I forgot to mention, for cars or trucks, the camera must have a picture of your face and plates (rear or front). If they can't get a clear picture of either, they can't send you a ticket. I'm not sure how they would do it for motorcycles however. At least the vans have signs warning you before you approach them so take advantage of that too. Safe driving!

My son is a wise asswho goes thur those camera speed zones over in the Lakes on his Harley and flips them off.  He obeys the speed laws normally but something comes over him.  When the idiot finally gets it, I'll let you know how they ticket you for it on a bike.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]
well im actually a transplant from az been here for just over 5 years and i dont miss the cameras at all. they are on most busy intersections and in mesa where im from they had plenty of the mobile units. i remember prob about 8-10 years ago when they first starting popping up there was a story in the newspaper about a man who got his photo ticket in the mail and being the smartass that he was he sent in his payment slip with a picture of the money. well i guess who ever opened it had a sense of humor and sent him back a picture of handcuffs.

fyi no front plate wont save you, we dont use front plates the dmv doesnt even give you 2 when you register
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Be careful heading out toward Laughlin too.

I went last Thursday and saw a total of 4 people pulled over on the way.

Two were pulled over on the 95 before Searchlight, one inside Searchlight, and one on the 95 after Searchlight. Deputy Dummy wasn't present either. Perhaps they are getting some real use out of the vehicle now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son is a wise asswho goes thur those camera speed zones over in the Lakes on his Harley and flips them off.  He obeys the speed laws normally but something comes over him.  When the idiot finally gets it, I'll let you know how they ticket you for it on a bike.  

Sorry for the late reply, been outta town..my old roommate got a photo ticket on the freeway near Scottsdale, a day after getting it he drove back, took his plates off, and sped up to 100mph on his bike and flipped all four cameras off! lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top