Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 5:49:56 PM EDT
'Allo lads. I'm in Nellis AFB for the next week or so, and I'm not really feeling like commuting to the Strip every time I want dinner, neither am I in the mood for large chains (Outback, Olive Garden sort of things).

If anyone can name some reasonable (I'm not going on a date here, but decent) restaurants in my area, preferably Greek, Italian maybe Chinese, I'd greatly appreciate it.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The area is dumpy..... not a good eat to be had!!

Well, Memphis BBQ is decent.

There is a good mex place on Nellis by Washington.

The selection for fine eaterys is non-existent!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I was stationed at Nellis for almost 7 years and I always had to go out away from the base to get a good meal.  There are however a few places on Nellis Blvd that aren't bad.  One is called Hush Puppies its a sea food kind of place and another called Big Dogs further down the road.  Both have decent food.  

Across the street from the base is a diner called Blueberry Hill, the food is good there.  If you like Mexican food theres a good restaurant near I-15 and Craig Rd called Viva Zapatas.  I always liked their food.

Vegas is mostly chain restaurants anymore.  Thats sad.  A few more locals will weigh in on some good spots I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can take a drive on WB Craig Road, and you'll find some decent food. There's a good sandwich shop called Capriotti's, Ruby Tuesday, and various mexican joints.  There are chain restaurants there too (Sizzlers, Long John Silvers, A&W, McD, Round Table Pizza).  There's a Montesano's on Craig and Decatur, or Carmine's on Ann and Simmons. Can't think of any Greek places.

There are also a handful of Chinese places, 2 near Ann & Camino Al Norte and i think there's one on Craig and Clayton.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't remember any Greek places, though I'm sure they're out there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
On Craig, just east of the I-15 is a mexican place called Zapatas, IIRC.  Pretty tasty eats there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned, Blueberry Hill is a decent place.  Memphis BBQ is ok, eat there a couple of times a year.  Although I haven't eaten there in a long time there's a pizza place right behind the 7-Eleven that had decent food.  Although I'm not a huge fan of buffets I must say the Cannery's buffet is good.  After that, you're really getting into the chain restaurant alley the further west on Craig you go.  Some decent "bar food" places that I frequent that are relatively nearby on Craig:  Poppas- Good cheap basic breakfast;  Mulligan's - Super good lunch food (Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad is killer, big burgers etc).

Happy eating.......
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The Mexican joint across from the Tyndall gate is pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
go west on Craig, my friend.

Down the street a little bit at Craig and Lamont, there's a hole in the wall Mexican restaraunt called "Dora Marias" that is AWESOME if you like authentic Mexican food. I recommend the Low Carb plate.

Further down, there's another Mexican joint at Craig and Pecos called Viva Zapatas. everything there is phenominal.

a little further west, you've got everything from China Star Buffet to Outback Steakhouse to Applebees and pretty much anything else you can think of.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I was stationed at Nellis from 1983-1991. All we had near base was a Sonic across the street, a pizza joint near the 7-11, Subway was a little further down Craig, and the Chinese restaraunt (is that still there?).

Oh yeah, the 25 Club right across from the main gate had great steak sandwiches.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was stationed at Nellis from 1983-1991. All we had near base was a Sonic across the street, a pizza joint near the 7-11, Subway was a little further down Craig, and the Chinese restaraunt (is that still there?).

Oh yeah, the 25 Club right across from the main gate had great steak sandwiches.

Oh hell yeah, the 25 Club...  I killed many a brain cell there.  I stumbled many a night across Craig to the main gate and stumbled back to the barracks just down the street.  How I didn't become a statistic crossing Craig is beyond me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
and the Chinese restaraunt (is that still there?).

The stand-alone Chinese restaurant on the North Side of Craig ther closed a couple of years ago (still boarded up).  Subway has moved to the west end of that strip mall and some Chinese place is taking up the space they used to occupy.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Dora Marias"  

Ya..That is the one I was thinking of, GREAT little place.
Marginally safer during the day than at night though...IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top