Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2007 7:59:45 AM EDT
Does anyone in town, Las Vegas or Henderson, carry AR-15 pistol receivers in stock?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Use any AR receiver and go to the PD and get a blue card unless you want one that's marked "Pistol"
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Got mine from Citadel.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If I took an ar15 receiver, took off the upper, brought in and registered it as a pistol, could I then add a shorter than 16" barreled upper and not have to go the NFA route?

If so, could I still have a A2 style stock on it or does that ruin it being a pistol?
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be an SBR, which requires a tax stamp.  Once you place on that stock you completely step out of the relm of pistol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So, without the stock, the pistol lower could have a shorter than 16" barrel and be OK?

If so, instead of the stock, is there a buffer extension tube that goes on or some equivalent?
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it as long as the receiver is registered as a pistol, and you don't add a stock or vertical grip, you are good to go. The buffer tube "alone" is not considered a stock.

If you add either you need to fill out a form 1 (all the steps)and register the weapon as SBR or AOW respectively.

Thanks for the info, I will pay Citidel a visit, otherwise I will order one from Spike's and do a transfer.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It matters what is on the ATF form... That is what people keep saying.

I thought we were pushing for the HDI lowers to be pistols
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
So how do you register a receiver without a barrel/upper on it? The blue card lists a barrel length along with the serial number.  Are the LVMPD just ignoring that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about if they are ignoring it or not, but I just recently bought a pistol lower and when my FFL asked what barrel length it was going to be, I said I wasn't sure so he put "multi" on my blue card under barrel length. I hope it's on the up and up, cause I bought it for a rainy day and it'll be a while before I get around to building it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So how do you register a receiver without a barrel/upper on it? The blue card lists a barrel length along with the serial number.  Are the LVMPD just ignoring that?

That is what I have been told - show up with an upper on the lower and a pistol grip installed. A couple of guys who have done this have walked away with no problems.

So wheres my little buddy who's gunna loan me his 7.5" upper....Ya I'm talking bout you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember it takes a virgin receiver to become a pistol. If the receiver started off as a rifle it cannot be changed into a pistol per the BATFE. Once it is a pistol you can put a 16" upper on it and add a stock and still go back to a pistol but you cannot start with a rifle and make a pistol. Now, if you purchased a virgin receiver and then built a rifle out of it and didnt tell anyone there really is no way for the BATFE to know that that receiver didn't start out as a pistol. Not that I recommend doing such a thing.

Charlie why do you need a pistol AR when you just got the SBR?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I have been told - show up with an upper on the lower and a pistol grip installed. A couple of guys who have done this have walked away with no problems.

So wheres my little buddy who's gunna let me loan me his 7.5" upper....Ya I'm talking bout you.

who me.. ??? i got u covered bro.. u know where it is..

jon..
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
AR pistols are not needs... they are wants - pure and simple.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I just want to clarify this issue for those of you who may be confused. I have gone this route a couple of times now, so I am pretty well versed.

You must begin with a receiver that is either registered on the dealers books as a stripped lower or pistol lower. Carson Armory told me that Bushmaster told them that all BM lowers leave the factory booked as RIFLE lowers. That could make a difference.
I used a STAG lower and had my dealer do the 4473 as a pistol lower. I also got a copy of the 4473 so I wouldn't have to backtrack later if it ever came up.
Obviously, LV requires you to register it on a blue card. I am unfamiliar with that process, but you guys know what to do.

Once you have it in pistol configuration, you can legally add a 16+" barrel and stock (remember it must have 16+" or it becomes an SBR). This is legal thanks to the efforts of the great folks at TC Contender to get a ruling on the subject.
You CANNOT take a lower that has been been assembled and turn it into a pistol. Stupid, and it's the same thing as above, but it's the law.

That should cover all of the bases. This post is intended to help my brothas who may be contemplating this, but didn't quite get the gist of what was discussed in here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AR pistols are not needs... they are wants - pure and simple.

that and they look perdy...

jon..
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
GB, you don't want one of those abortions. Thing wouldn't shoot straight when I tried it
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
GB, you don't want one of those abortions. Thing wouldn't shoot straight when I tried it

That’s funny - I didn’t seem to have a problem killing that midget when I ran it

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i think it was more shooter error...

ill let u have another try at it bro.. midgets are hard to hit at a distance...

jon..
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Dudes, I'd travel to LV if you really have a midget season...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#20]
it's all about the midgets I tell ya' the Vegas ones are a nasty tribe in cahoots with the dwarfs,elves,gnomes and lilaputions

Hard lot and not to be taken lightly
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think it was more shooter error...

ill let u have another try at it bro.. midgets are hard to hit at a distance...

jon..

Yeah that's it, I blame that little midget bastard. He wouldn't stand still
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That would be 1337-G's nemesis.  
I will have to print him out and paste him to the steel next time out -
motivational target if there ever was one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]
That's the guy.  I don't remember that hairdo though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top