Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:51:54 PM EDT
I am being transfered to the Las Vegas / Henderson area.  Moving from Nebraska.  Are there any laws / regulations / ordinances I need to be aware of prior to my move?

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Shall issue state so get your CCW. 8 hour class and a qualification with each semi auto you want on it. Qualify with one revolver and you can carry them all.

Open carry is legal but you might turn some heads.

People can prohibit you from carrying on their property but it is not illegal to ignore signs that say no firearms. They have to ask you to leave. If you refuse you can be charged with trespass.

No carrying in state forrests or in public buildings. Cashman Field/Center is a public building.

Machine guns, SBRs, suppressors are legal as long as you don't mind jumping through the federal hoops.

Clark County(minus Boulder City I believe) requires the registration of handguns. Your registration card(referred to as the "blue card") must accompany your handgun at all times.

North Las Vegas and Boulder City had/have a few laws that are different than the state law but they have been repealed by SB237 that went into effect October 1st. They have 3 months to change their laws. This same bill changed the Clark County registration requirement from 24(or was it 48?) hours to 60 days but again there is 3 months before they have to abide by that. They may have already changed it but I do not know. You might want to call the CCW detail and find out.

There are restrictions on where you can shoot on public land around the Las Vegas valley. Check the stuck threads at the top of the forum or contact the LV BLM office.

Varmints that do not require a hunting license or season include jack rabbit and coyote. Spotlighting is legal in Clark County but some others do prohibit it and some even prohibit night shooting IIRC. The NDOW has these laws.

Welcome aboard :)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The carrying of the blue card--isn't that a requirement that Metro asserts but not one that is found in the state statutes or county code?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The carrying of the blue card--isn't that a requirement that Metro asserts but not one that is found in the state statutes or county code?

The Blue Card is found in Title 12 of the Clark County Code, and it is grandfathered because it was implemented (1965) before the state became preemptive in 1989.

Note: On October 1st, 2007 the law changed and non-residents have 60 days to register handguns, and residents have 72 hours. Kind of backwards if you ask me.

Registration of pistols within twenty-four hours.  (Clark County Code 12.04.110)
Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within twenty-four hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff's office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 242 §§ 11, 1965)

Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.200)
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a gun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated  cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 20, 1965)

Unlawful transfer of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.210)
It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the transferor thereof first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the transferee and new owner thereof, either with the sheriff, or with a police department of one of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 21, 1965)

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No carrying in state forrests

That's not correct. State parks allow carry if you hold a concealed permit. There's no such thing as a state forest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No carrying in state forrests

That's not correct. State parks allow carry if you hold a concealed permit. There's no such thing as a state forest.

National Forest is probably what he meant.  And guns are allowed National Forests just not National Parks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that clears it up nicely.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to tell the handgunlaw.us guys that their information is wrong.  There is no such wording in NAC 407.105, not is there a mention of state or national forests in the referenced statute.

NAC 407.105  Possession or use of weapons. (NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

1.  In any park, a person shall not:

(a) Use a bow and arrow, slingshot or paint ball launcher;

(b) Possess a firearm, unless:

(1) The firearm is unloaded and inside a vehicle; or

(2) The person in possession of the firearm has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, and is carrying the firearm in conformity with the terms of the permit;
(c) Discharge a weapon, including, without limitation, an air rifle, spring gun or air pistol; or

(d) Throw a knife, hatchet, spear, stone or projectile,

Ê except as authorized by the Administrator.

2.  The Administrator may designate zones in which a person may, for the purposes of hunting a species that is designated by the Board of Wildlife Commissioners as a game mammal or game bird pursuant to chapter 503 of NAC, carry and discharge a firearm or bow in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Wildlife. At each park in which a zone is designated pursuant to this subsection, the ranger in charge of the region or the supervisor of the park shall post at the headquarters of the park, and at each area within the park which is designated as a zone in which a person may carry and discharge a firearm or bow for the purposes of hunting, maps of the designated zones within that park.

3.  Target shooting is prohibited in all areas of a park, except in an area designated as a firing range.

4.  Use of a bow to kill, capture or injure a fish is prohibited within 100 feet of a swimmer.

(Added to NAC by Div. of St. Parks, 12-31-85, eff. 1-1-86; A 3-9-88; 7-25-90; 11-12-93; 3-20-96, eff. 4-1-96; R164-97, 3-1-98; R145-99, 1-18-2000; R118-01, 12-17-2001; R149-05, 5-4-2006)

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would I tell them? It is your correction. You tell them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not seeing the requirement to carry the blue card with the gun in the county code sections that were posted.  Is it in another one?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool it with the blue card and park crap.  Lets get down to business with the important stuff..

NRS 11.0233 states  

You must bring us Donuts not the crappy over sugared Krispy Kreme either, but real bakery donuts before you are allowed to reside within 50 miles of Henderson..  

John P..
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not seeing the requirement to carry the blue card with the gun in the county code sections that were posted.  Is it in another one?

I've never seen it anywhere but on the LVMPD's CCW page. It is, as far as I can tell, not codified by statute.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking so too
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never seen it anywhere but on the LVMPD's CCW page. It is, as far as I can tell, not codified by statute.

It's not but I'd carry it if I were you just to be safe in case some officer was trained differently.  They will call dispatch to verify the registration if you don't have the card so it's no biggie to me.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#15]
There was a huge thread about blue card carrying awhile back. I did a quick search and didn't find it. You might have better luck if you are interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not but I'd carry it if I were you just to be safe in case some officer was trained differently.  They will call dispatch to verify the registration if you don't have the card so it's no biggie to me.  

I can see that if it's a weapon not on a CFP, but for a weapon that's listed the gun had to have a blue card in order to get on the permit in the first place no? Of course that's now out the door since serial #s are no longer required and revolvers are a free for all.

Do you guys really write tickets if the blue card is at home in my safe for example?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Only if you apply for a CFP in Clark Co, yes... you will have to have the gun registered.  Serial numbers were NEVER required for the state CFP.

I don't know of any officer that wrote a citation for a un-reg'd firearm unless there were other charges on top of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top