Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 8:28:46 AM EDT
Sigh. Keep selling off our land to builders and don't let us use it. That's the spirit of the west eh?

www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_information/newsroom/2007/october/target_shooting_closure.html

BLM Nevada News
Las Vegas Field Office- 2007-32
FOR RELEASE: October 4, 2007

Target Shooting Closure Announced

Las Vegas – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Las Vegas Field Office announces a target shooting closure on about 11,874 acres of public lands it administers in Nye County, Nev., at the southern edge of Pahrump.

“The top priority of BLM Las Vegas Field Office is public health and safety,” said Juan Palma, Field Manager. “This target shooting closure will provide additional safety for local residents while maintaining recreational opportunities for public land users.”

The closure is intended to ensure the safety of people and property adjacent to selected public lands and to prevent environmental degradation. Recently, two housing developments have been approved within the closure boundary. The closure was proposed as a joint effort to protect public safety by the Nye County Sheriff’s Office, the Nye County Commissioners, Town of Pahrump and the BLM in response to concerns by local residents.

About 100 comments were received during a 60-day public comment period that was open earlier this year.  

This permanent shooting closure does not apply to hunting under the laws and regulations of the State of Nevada.

Popular target shooting areas remain open. These include public land on the east side State Route 160, public land near Bell Vista Road and public land southeast of Hafen Road.  In addition, BLM is working with Nye County to identify a location for a shooting park.

Public land is multiple-use and other people and livestock may be present, so please follow these guidelines:
•       You must be at least 1,000 feet from roads and houses
•       Never shoot from or over any road or highway
•       Always use a safe backdrop
•       Glass targets are prohibited
•       Carry in your targets and carry out all litter, brass and shell casings

Maps of the closure are posted at www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/nv/field_offices/las_vegas_field_office/closure_maps/target_shooting_closure.Par.0166.File.dat/target%20shooting%20closure%20map%2010-4-07.pdf Maps will also be available in Pahrump and the Nye County Commission office. Maps are also available at the BLM Las Vegas Field Office at 4701 N. Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Just more and more urban encroachment upon rural areas!  Not to telegraph my age, but years ago I can remember going shooting at a improvised range at the corner of Sahara and Rainbow (Las Vegas).  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean to tell me that those Fucking Kommiefornians from the Nanny State have now officially infected Pahrump?

Southern Nevada: Internal temperature 180 degrees. Slice thin, cover with liberal bile, and serve economic disaster as a side dish.

For dessert you have a choice of 10,000 illegal aliens shutting down the town, or a warm and fuzzy Gay Pride Parade.  

Just stick a Friggin' fork in Nevada, because we are done.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure looks like it Joe.  If you look at the map it's clear what happened.  The govt sold off small strategically placed pieces of OUR land to developers, then like a cancer it spread from the inside so now all the land surrounding the newly minted developments is off limits to shooting.  Soon it will be off limits to ohvs and atvs and then they'll sell the rest of it so we can have more golf courses.  Same shit, different town.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sure looks like it Joe.  If you look at the map it's clear what happened.  The govt sold off small strategically placed pieces of OUR land to developers, then like a cancer it spread from the inside so now all the land surrounding the newly minted developments is off limits to shooting.  Soon it will be off limits to ohvs and atvs and then they'll sell the rest of it so we can have more golf courses.  Same shit, different town.

I feel for you Bro (and every other freedom lover of the Great State of Nevada).

I have lived in this wonderful, prosperous state of history and heritage for 31 years, and during my enjoyable life here I have seen our public lands get hacked-up and auctioned to the highest bidder in the name of progress and development.

Progress and development for whom, the money mongers and the Hollyweird whackos, the fruitcakes from Gay Francisco; the liberals that want to enslave us, the million dollar high rise engineers that want to create more facilities in which to keep the enemies of this country out of harm's way? Fuck, I can’t even afford to buy my own house!

Over the years I have witnessed our Nevada laws become more restrictive in the sense that they have gone from individual responsibility for one’s actions; to, we'll prohibit you from doing what you would like to do even if you never do it (because you might hurt yourself or someone else IF you ever decide to do it).

At the rate we are going, in 50 years (if we last that long) our children will never know what it is was like to hunt, fish, off-road, ride a four wheeler, enjoy the outdoors or experience the joy of the creosote smell in the air after a gentle rainstorm. They will not know what it was like to experience any of the aforementioned including freedom, because the only time they will get to see it and feel it will be in government sponsored biosphere auditoriums filled with animated and robotic sights and sounds, with smells of a world lost that will be run by liberal, expert somethingologists.

I knew that Nevada was on the road to ruin when Clark County went Blue; Northern Nevada embraced Hitlery, and the PEOPLE actually voted for a law that prohibits smoking in bars that serve food. I don’t smoke cigarettes, but I’ll be damned if I will try to take another person’s right to ingest their habit. And for the record: I voted against that asinine measure (yep, I was given a free opportunity to save the children and I declined).

Its nuts - no, better yet its insane where we’ve come from and what we have become. I don’t want another state; I don’t want another country… I want another FUCKING planet.

For those of you who know me know that I am a pretty tough guy, but when I saw that Nye County map I had a few drops of precious hydration streaming down my face.

Be Safe.

Joe
OUT
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
This is also the one where they held the public hearings in Arizona, but graciously allowed those of actually affected to participate by phone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]
dbailey, I believe you're right.  I believe it was also in way southern AZ, not even close to here.  I'm sure they were looking for the best way to meet the interests of the affected population, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top